Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn my radio on or off and the antenna moves, it makes this loud clunk noise as it moves (either upward or downward).

Do I need to replace the antenna mast or the entire assembly?

TIA

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Dave Capone said:
The antenna moving up or down on these car is very loud...At least all the ones I've owned or driven in :)

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I've owned 3 supras before this, this clearly makes a clunk sound. its not normal

B

·
0 Posts
The antenna is a coiled plastic chain. It eventually gets old, hard and snaps. You can swap out the mast/coil very easily but if some of the plastic chain broke off in the motor mechanism you will have to remove and disassemble the motor to get the junk out.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
But his antenna is still going up and down...so it's not broken (yet).

right "Paymon" ?

·
Banned
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
correct it does go up and down but makes a terrible sounding noise

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mine just stays about a foot from the base at all times (whether the car is on or off) :rolleyes:

But before it broke, it used to make ungodly noises...then one day it just stopped going up or down, and stayed at about halfway....now it just makes the noise of the motor trying to move it, but doesn't go anywhere :scratch:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had just replaced mine just a week ago because the teeth were going on it and it had a krimp in it. From what I have noticed they are kind of noisy but its because they can get low on grease. The antenna that I got from Toyota had the plastic feed to long so I just kept cutting it until it would come perfectly flush with the body.
Just keep it greased on the inside and try to rub some on the outside of it without bunching to much grease the it over spills on the paint. Or just soak some WD-40 with a paper towel and hold on to the antenna as it goes up and when it goes down, a couple of times. Of course its easier with a second person to turn the stereo on and off. :)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Jokerfreak16 said:
Mine just stays about a foot from the base at all times (whether the car is on or off) :rolleyes:

But before it broke, it used to make ungodly noises...then one day it just stopped going up or down, and stayed at about halfway....now it just makes the noise of the motor trying to move it, but doesn't go anywhere :scratch:

mine did that as well only it stayed in the full upright position.. I just unplugged the motor. no more noise and it works like a charm :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Jokerfreak16 said:

you're the guy that NEEDS a mast ;) Its easy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts