Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing an install on a 94 Supra TT with the stock amp and replacing that with an aftermarket amp and deck. The antenna doesnt go up when the unit is turned on so what wires need to be connected? Im pretty sure the wires are black and red but if I recall something has to be grounded somewhere. Anyone that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
come on anyone? Someone has to be able to explain how to wire this thing up right.

·
Banned
888 Posts
check behind the deck. a blue wire i think that would say ant make sure it is connected with your car's wire harness.

·
HKS Twins
432 Posts
you gotta use a test light to check which wire behind your radio wil send 12v to your anteana. Gound one end of a teast light and start touching wired behind your radion. As stated above its usually blue but some have blue and blue/white. If you check instructions it should indicate which one. Its been like 5 years since installed radios but im pretty sure its one or the other. You also gotta find which wire on your car is the attena wire. A sure fire way is to get to your antena wire and check. Im sure Mkiv.com should have it somewhere and just tag the wire and you should be gold.

·
Banned
770 Posts
I got that problem too. I never found out which wire was the power ant line. What color is the power ant from the harness?

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
power antenna on the harness should be blue

·
Supra-NA-T...Girls -Twin
2,165 Posts
you are using an aftermarket harness..ie - Metra or best kits....that plugs into the factory?

·
ˆê”Ô ƒGƒAƒ�ƒgƒv‚d‚q
1,039 Posts
Final word on the antenna.

To understand how the antenna works, you must first understand the way it works originaly (from the factory)

The following is true for either the internal amplified system or the externally amplified system.

From the Head Unit, there are TWO signals sent to the "auto antenna relay" to operate the antenna from down to up and up to down.

These signals are called "ANT" and "AMP" antenna and amplifier.
The signal is positive battery voltage.

You must first have positive voltage traveling on the "AMP" wire in order to make the "auto antenna relay" function. Then when positive voltage is aplied to the "ANT" wire the Antenna will extend up.
Now, on a Supra if you take away the "ANT" signal, the Antenna will stay up. The only way to retract the antenna is to also remove the "AMP" signal.

So what this means to you is that you must wire your aftermarket radio to provide a positive signal to both the "ANT" wire and the "AMP" wire.

Chances are your aftermarket radio has both a "Remote" and "antenna" output.

If you only have a "Remote" output then you will need to put the "Remote" output to both the "AMP" and "ANT" wires. but then your antenna will go up whenever the headunit is on. And if this is the case then I would reccomend using a toggle switch to enable lowering the antenna when it is not needed.

OK, So where the hell are these wires and what colors are they?

The Amp wire is Pink with a Blue stripe
The Ant wire is black with a red stripe

These two wires are found at Pin position 8 and 9 of connector IH1 (10pin connector)
8 is ANT
9 is AMP

OR on a externally moddified radio, you can locate these same wires on the 15 pin connector "R6" at pin positions 1 and 8
1 AMP
8 ANT

You tap in at IH1 or R6, I don't know how each person has hacked up their wiring in what way, so I can't say what is the best way for you to go about it. Hopefully with the understanding of what is required you will be able to figure it out.

Ishii

Have a look at this thread as there are some diagrams of the connectors.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323653

In this picture, you can see the connectors

1 - 11 of 11 Posts