Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I unplug both connecters will this interfere with the backglass antenna? I have that hooked up to get the radio reception.

·
Registered
70 Posts
nplug both connecters will this interfere with the backglass antenna? I have that hooked up to get the radio reception
hi sorry, just want to ask, where did you get the backglass antenna? do you have a link to it? im looking to replace my stock antenna but wanna keep the radio.

·
From the land down under
3,557 Posts
I would love to know more about this too, please.

I disconnected my antenna years ago as the white plastic gear belt lost some teeth and would either get stuck and grind itself to death, or simply not move, while the motor continued to extend it.

An aerial in the back window sounds like the answer to my problems (not that its really a problem given I listen to music off my phone 99.999% of the time I use the car)

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,110 Posts
The "backglass antenna" is on the underside of your hatch glass. Just like the defogger...the orange lines in the glass. If you trace them, you'll see that most of the lines are defogger, but the "backglass antenna" is also mixed in there. All Supras have them.

·
From the land down under
3,557 Posts
The "backglass antenna" is on the underside of your hatch glass. Just like the defogger...the orange lines in the glass. If you trace them, you'll see that most of the lines are defogger, but the "backglass antenna" is also mixed in there. All Supras have them.
Sorry, I should have been more clear haha.

The info I would love to have is how to go about wiring it up to the audio system :)

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,110 Posts
The info I would love to have is how to go about wiring it up to the audio system :)
My recollection is that there is a "mini" antenna cable/jack behind the stereo that goes straight to the backglass antenna. To use it on a standard aftermarket stereo, you'd have to find an adapter that converts this "mini" jack to a full-sized antenna jack.

·
From the land down under
3,557 Posts
My recollection is that there is a "mini" antenna cable/jack behind the stereo that goes straight to the backglass antenna. To use it on a standard aftermarket stereo, you'd have to find an adapter that converts this "mini" jack to a full-sized antenna jack.
Ah OK, you are right, I do have a smaller antenna plug behind my dash. I just wasn't aware that the window antenna was pre wired to work, I thought it might be a dealer option, or something utilised in higher spec models.

I will look into finding an adapter and will report back in this thread with my findings :)

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,110 Posts
I just wasn't aware that the window antenna was pre wired to work, I thought it might be a dealer option, or something utilised in higher spec models.
Nope...all Supras have this from the factory.

·
Blue Thunder
3,341 Posts
Any luck finding that adapter?
Best Buy and Wal-Mart have them. The OEM radio had what was called an FM Diversity system. Hence the dual antenna setup. When you take out the OEM radio, you also unplug the 2nd antenna in the rear glass.

I've been using it for years and works good as long as you have some strong local stations.

B

ps: what you want is commonly called a GM micro/mini antenna adapter.

·
From the land down under
3,557 Posts
Thank you for that information :)

I will try and find one on shore here in NZ, but failing that, it is good to know that these are readily available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
Mr Ree NZ
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing