Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know if it's possible to anti lag on a built automatic car? i think i've heard/seen some launch off the line with what seems to be an antilag (on automatics) supra and non supra cars that are turbo'd.

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Nope, antilag doesn't work on auto (or at least I couldn't get it to). As soon as you engage the antilag (retarded timing and extra fuel) the car falls on it's face. Too much load from the torque converter.

·
4,109 Posts
i dont know if it's possible to anti lag on a built automatic car? i think i've heard/seen some launch off the line with what seems to be an antilag (on automatics) supra and non supra cars that are turbo'd.
Do you mean antilag or two step? From what I understand, antilag is to keep the turbo spooled between shifts, whereas the 2 step builds boost at launch, which is what you're talking about here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Antilag can be used in conjunction with a 2 step to build boost on the launch. Antlag makes WAY more boost than the step alone.

From what i was told by a shop, antilag with an auto is bad.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well some of the turbo drag cars i've seen and heard, it sounds like an antilag. it rapidly misses (very aggressive sounding) and shoots flames out. which i believe is the characteristics of an antilag (you can see it in the 6spd supras).

well two step to me is less aggressive than an anti-lag. it'll sit there and build 3-5 psi of boost while the RPM's bounch up and down from given RPM to another (say- 5000-5500)

not sure about all of this though especially on autos. i could have sworn i thought i heard titan's drag cars sound like it had antilag off the line???

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Bingo, Titan's drag cars don't have auto's either. :)

Trust me, when you activate antilag in a auto the car will just fall on it's face.

not sure about all of this though especially on autos. i could have sworn i thought i heard titan's drag cars sound like it had antilag off the line???

·
Registered
904 Posts
I had Justin Nenni activate the anti-lag on my auto and I was rewarded with several 1.4 60fts. This was on a 74dBB,cams and stock motor. My car did not fall on its face.More like my face got distorted from the awesome holeshot!:wavey:

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I had Justin Nenni activate the anti-lag on my auto and I was rewarded with several 1.4 60fts. This was on a 74dBB,cams and stock motor. My car did not fall on its face.More like my face got distorted from the awesome holeshot!:wavey:
Please post up a datalog of this if you can, I'd be curious to see what rpm the antilag activates at and what sort of a/f and timing retard you are getting. You must have a very loose converter to get the rpm's high enough where antilag doesn't bring the rpm's down.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
i use the 2 step on my th400 car and i have it set at 3800 rpms which is also my stall speed. i get about 1 bar of boost on the line before i leave.ive snatched 1.41 and 1.40 60" without any juice ,just boost. i havent tried the antilag yet since this works for me.and i foot brake it out the hole no trans brake.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Please post up a datalog of this if you can, I'd be curious to see what rpm the antilag activates at and what sort of a/f and timing retard you are getting. You must have a very loose converter to get the rpm's high enough where antilag doesn't bring the rpm's down.
You would have to PM Justin for that info. My converter is a 4k stall.

·
Toyota Powertrain Guru
617 Posts
just don't take too much timing away. i push my 3500 stall to over 4k @17psi with stock twins and anti lag. if just the 2 step i don't get anywhere near that boost with the 2 step. I use the AL once I get close to stall it lights up the turbos then the 2 step to keep the car from pushing through the lights.

·
Registered
78 Posts
what are you guys staging at with just the 2 step and with the anti-lag?

i have a 4200rpm stall and going to running AEM soon so i'd like to know what you guys are launching at.... thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just curious, anyone ever try and anti-lag or 2-step on twin turbos?? I get a few psi with the stock torque converter using brake boost, with a titan 3200 stall I'd think I could get a lot more running one of these systems.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Try this

Setup: Wire your 2step (Digital Input) together with the TB button (dont set any 2step limit yet)

Wire your nitrous to be activated with the 2-step, above 3000rpm, above 95%TPS, below 15psi boost just for starters, with a retard depending on the size of your shot and the fuel used.

Now try the TB and spray it, log this simple test, on your log, check which rpm the car makes 15psi, we assume 4500.

Now set your already wired 2-step to 4700.

1- Put it on the brake at your stall 2900-3200

2- Go WOT, now the ECU will activate the Nitrous and spool that turbo fast, once reached 4500 where it makes 15psi, the Nitrous will shutoff, and the 2step will catch the rpm from climbing at 4700.

3- IF you use a WG on the Intake pipe and this Method you can really fine tune your Launch and how much power you apply, you can basically launch it with say 450whp and bring it up to 1500whp at the 330.

And don't retard the timing on the 2step, this is an Automatic car, Launch "ALS" where you retard say 35degrees, add 10-15% fuel will not work properly.

Conclusion: SPRAY IT on the Brake :), and a good setup where you don't spray on the 2step limiter, I know some people do but anyways.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Excellent explanation....but that sounds like a single turbo setup, and I don't have nos, or a wg on the ic (wouldn't work for sequential mode anyway)

My hope is that the sequential mode would produce boost at much lower rpm, say 8-10 psi at 3000 rpms. Of course the inherent risk I see is that the ceramic egcv flapper behind the #2 turbo would probably break under the exhaust pressure.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Excellent explanation....but that sounds like a single turbo setup, and I don't have nos, or a wg on the ic (wouldn't work for sequential mode anyway)

My hope is that the sequential mode would produce boost at much lower rpm, say 8-10 psi at 3000 rpms. Of course the inherent risk I see is that the ceramic egcv flapper behind the #2 turbo would probably break under the exhaust pressure.
Put a 75 fogger on, and be done with it...

·
Registered
208 Posts
OT

for the OP, ALS is not used on manual drag cars, what it used is Launch Control where you can combine a 3step & 2step, alot of timing retard and added fuel, this will "move" the combustion to the exhaust manifold and when the car hits the limiter, it will make boost.

HOW much boost you can produce depends on how/which cylinders you cut, the amount of timing retard/added fuel, and how high your launch rpm limit is. This system is not good on auto cars in my opinion.

Anti Lag System is used on Rally cars, where you introduce air in the exhaust manifold on decel, together with timing retard and added fuel. So when the driver enters a corner and lifts, the motor sometimes make 30psi of boost with 0% throttle input, so he can come out of the corner with full power. This is extremely hard on the Turbo, Manifold etc

The 1980s F1 cars had huge problems producing boost out of corners, many teams developed their own ALS strategies, some better than others :).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts