Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i just watched an episode of top gear where they talked about this crazy ass car...P2 that has ~350 hp and goes from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds!! they said its cus of anti lag system, so im just wondering how are the supra communities dealing with this turbo lag? i know that ppl r doing rev limiters, but is there anyone running this ALS thing? and is there a kit available for street uses?

thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
anti-lag is not for everyday street use.

most people that drag race here use ALS or a 2 step. ALS causes temprature rises which usually can shorten the life of a turbo by a considerable amount.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
Some use NO2 of the line for that extra kick. ALS is really for those who are willing to rid lag at the expense of the turbo (..and possibly some other parts). It's good for those in the WRC or other racing, to expensive for the street.

When the driver lifts his foot from the gas pedal the ignition timing is altered with sometimes 40° or more of delay (retard) and the intake air and fuel supply mixture is made richer. The inlet butterfly is kept slightly open or an air injector is used to maintain air supply to the engine. This results in air/fuel mixture that keeps getting in the combustion chambers when the driver no longer accelerates. The ignition being delayed, the air/fuel mixture reaches the exhaust tubes mostly unburned. When the spark plug fires, the exhaust valve is starting to open due to the ignition delay mentioned above. Additionally, the exhaust temperature being extremely high, the unburned fuel explodes at the contact of the exhaust tubes. Luckily the turbo sits right there and the explosion keeps it turning (otherwise it would slow down since its intake, the exhaust gases, is cut-off). The effect is vastly lower response times with some downsides: A quick rise of the turbocharger's temperature (which jumps from ~800°C to the 1100°C+ region) whenever the system is activated. A huge stress on the exhaust manifold and pipes (mounted on a street car a bang-bang system would destroy the exhaust system within 50-100miles). The turbo produces significant boost even at engine idle speeds. The explosions which occur in the exhaust tubes generate important flames which can, sometimes, be seen at the end of the exhaust tube.

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
shenofjo said:
Hi guys, i just watched an episode of top gear where they talked about this crazy ass car...P2 that has ~350 hp and goes from 0-60 in 3.8 seconds!! they said its cus of anti lag system, so im just wondering how are the supra communities dealing with this turbo lag? i know that ppl r doing rev limiters, but is there anyone running this ALS thing? and is there a kit available for street uses?

thanks in advance!!
MoTeC, AEM EMS....theres more out there but thos two come too mind that has the Anti Lag feature. Also that rip too 3.8 should have been more do for the fact that the car weights in at 2425lbs and is AWD.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
in that case... what do ppl do for eliminating lag for street turbo cars? is rev limt enough? and btw, how does it work?

·
You Can [Not] Advance
2,871 Posts
shenofjo said:
in that case... what do ppl do for eliminating lag for street turbo cars? is rev limt enough? and btw, how does it work?
wow.......you been here since 2004?

You could...........

A) Match the right turbo for your engine (IE The SR20DET in the SCC project drift silva is using a GT28R turbo. No lag(There is lag) but i mean are you really going to notice?) All thats saying is make sure you get the right sized turbo for your needs if you wanna get rid of Lag then get a smaller turbo.

B) People on this website use nitrious too prespool there turbo

Theres more but i'm a dumbass.............

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well ya...the nitrous does the work, but i was more interested in how the rev limiter works.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
A rev limiter isn't going to help remove lag, it Limits revs. A 2 step can be used to build some boost off the line, but Anti-lag helps build big boost real quick, it can be tough on the valvetrain and other parts though. The car you are speaking of had some limited anti-lag features between shifts, but it also had an electronically controlled differential that helped it gain those times as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts