Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went out of moved my car after its had been sitting in the hard rain all day (got a little shower from the targa leak) and after I turned the car off I spent a little while rifling through my backseat for my phone charger. I opened the door, got out and tried to lock the door but it kept popping back to unlocked after I pressed the button or tried to lock it manually. I thought it might be some kind of short from the water that leaked in but after a littler while I noticed my lanyard hanging from the ignition. I took the keys out and sure enough it locked. I never knew about this feature, why is it that toyota thought of it 16 years ago and brand new cars today still don't?

·
Shaq who?
841 Posts
During the winter when i'd start my car in the morning to let it warm up i'd always go to lock the dorrs and thought there was something wrong with my wiring. I think it's a great safety feature although I can't lock my doors because I don't have the key for the door

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Its there to avoid these " SHIT I LOCKED MY KEYS IN MY CAR " post. :)

·
7M Love
735 Posts
aljordan said:
I think ALL toyota cars with power locks do that.
I don't think all of them did; my parents' 92 previa minivan had power locks but my mom locked the car up while it was running.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Storko said:
No such luck as you can still get locked out, just drop the keys on the floor and lock.
It shouldn't matter whether the keys are in the ignition or not. With the door open the doors won't lock from the inside unless you hold the handle up, press the lock button, and then close the door. Without holding the handle up the locks will never work with the door open. Or at least shouldn't.

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
my 86.5 i can lock the keys in the car even if they're in the ignition. i think this was on later models that it became an option.

also, on the later models, you don't have to hold up the handles to lock the doors. i lock mine with the buttons on the inside, then just hold my handle up before i close the door.

i'm hoping jeff lange will pop in here. he knows everything, and will clear up all the misconceptions.

-shaeff

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Toyota stopped requiring the handle to be held up to lock the door after 1987.

As for your car Shaeff, I don't think it should let you lock the door with the keys in the ignition, chances are something is not working right. The door control relay didn't change between 86.5 and 89.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
There have been so many times, I'll turn the car off, throw my keys on the passenger seat, go rifiling through my glove box for a tool to fix something, I'll get out, lock it, fix the problem, go back to open the door to put the tool away, and my doors are locked. I've been :urowned: by my own stupidity too many times with this car... Lol

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
Toyota can only do so much to help. :p

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Jeff Lange said:
Toyota can only do so much to help. :p
Reminds me of a story of this lady who locked her keys in her car. A trucker stopped to help and used a slim jim to get the lock open. She thanked him, and asked if they made a purse sized version of the tool he used, and he replied, "Yep, it's called a key."

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
wow, i sure as hell didnt know of that feature..

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
aljordan said:
I think ALL toyota cars with power locks do that.
nope not so.. my g/f's new rav4 doesn't. it's pretty weird.

Also the auto light off feature. I mean some cars you turn them off, open the door and the lights turn out. Others you turn the car off open the door and you get a chime... it's the same circuit whether you wire for a buzzer or auto light off feature, dunno why they opt for chime.

My dad's 05 tundra limited 4wd has auto light off... my mom's 05 sequoia ltd 4wd has a chime :dunno:

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ that is wierd how there are both features. you would think it would just be easier to have one and put it on all the models

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
yup, on the supra is you have the lights on and forget to turn them off when you turn the car off when you get out the lights turn off. i think thats badass.

·
I Love What You Do For Me
82 Posts
You know how I avoid locking my keys in my car? I always lock the car from the outside w/ the key in the door. This locks both doors at once and I can never have my keys inside the car if they are in my hand. I got the idea from my friend who used to activate his alarm on his VW Golf this way. It really works once it becomes habit.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My 87t has this feature.
On a side note did all supras come with a hide-a-key? Because both of my supras have had one (under the front bumper)
With all of these features it'd take a retard to lock the keys in my car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts