Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock rims on my 97. It's putting out about 402hp. The Proxes tq that I have on there now worked well the first couple months but the life on them sucks. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking for a street tire not a track tire. Thanks to anyone who responds.

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
bfg kdw 2
possibly the worst tire suggestion I've ever seen given - have you actually tried to run these tires on more than stock power? They suck for grip, great in the rain, great tread life, but suck for grip and they chunk VERY badly when driven hard. And yes, I have run these on my supra and even at BPU+ power levels (<400 to the tire) they sucked for me...

Michelin Pilot PS2's if you can afford them, if not - then the Ventus V12s seem to be a great tire as well and reasonably priced.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
im currently running them on my supra... best tire ive had so far for traction lol. although im running a 295 35 18.
yeah but just wait till you finish your single swap, bye bye traction.

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
I ran a 295/35/18 rear and 265/35/18 front - they were terrible... take em to the track or to a drag strip, or hell for that matter do some seriously agressive driving on them, they will chuck off HUGE tread blocks, the chunking was so bad I made discount tire buy em back and I went with Falken 615s which were a huge improvement IMHO

I also have run throgh a set of hankook RS2-R's - and the KDW2s have been by far the worst, now to be fair they are a 300 tread wear tire, all the others are in the 140-210 range so much much stickier.

I will say the KDW2's look cooler though.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got dunlop direzzas on mine right now and I love them. I went with a wider tire in back and it really helped the ride as I drove around the city, and gave me the extra traction so I don't slip. I don't have as much power as you do, but I hope to be there in the next month or so. Tread life has been pretty good for a summer tire. I've driven in wet and dry conditions and I have been very pleased with the performance.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you decided and how the tires handle with your hp.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I ran a 295/35/18 rear and 265/35/18 front - they were terrible... take em to the track or to a drag strip, or hell for that matter do some seriously agressive driving on them, they will chuck off HUGE tread blocks, the chunking was so bad I made discount tire buy em back and I went with Falken 615s which were a huge improvement IMHO

I also have run throgh a set of hankook RS2-R's - and the KDW2s have been by far the worst, now to be fair they are a 300 tread wear tire, all the others are in the 140-210 range so much much stickier.

I will say the KDW2's look cooler though.
ive never had any chunking problems with mine. ive done countless burnouts dig races roll races etc and the only time i had an issue was in winter.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
possibly the worst tire suggestion I've ever seen given - have you actually tried to run these tires on more than stock power? They suck for grip, great in the rain, great tread life, but suck for grip and they chunk VERY badly when driven hard. And yes, I have run these on my supra and even at BPU+ power levels (<400 to the tire) they sucked for me...

Michelin Pilot PS2's if you can afford them, if not - then the Ventus V12s seem to be a great tire as well and reasonably priced.
Zach the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been reviewed with even better grip than the PS2's and also have a 300 treadwear rating. OP may want to look into those, they are cheaper than the PS2 although still quite pricey.

·
intarwebs master
1,393 Posts
Zach the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports have been reviewed with even better grip than the PS2's and also have a 300 treadwear rating. OP may want to look into those, they are cheaper than the PS2 although still quite pricey.
Got a link to those reviews? I'm a huge PS2 fan after putting them on my 20s (yeah yeah, don't start ;P) because between the volks and the tires, two of my wheels took NO weight to balance, that was a first for me and i attribute it to a high quality tire - as with all my wheel installs I have the wheels measured for balance before i mount tires on them, all 4 of the volks were 0'd before tires.

-Z

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Since your looking for reasonable grip and long tread life, I would recommend something in the Kumho SPT or Continental DW range of tires.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got a link to those reviews? I'm a huge PS2 fan after putting them on my 20s (yeah yeah, don't start ;P) because between the volks and the tires, two of my wheels took NO weight to balance, that was a first for me and i attribute it to a high quality tire - as with all my wheel installs I have the wheels measured for balance before i mount tires on them, all 4 of the volks were 0'd before tires.

-Z
Zach,

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sh...-to-test-out-Michelin-s-new-Pilot-Super-Sport

http://www.roadandtrack.com/special-report/review-michelin-pilot-super-sport-tires

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
The problem is the Michelin Super Sport doesn't come in an appropiate size for the stock rear wheel.

The Michelin's are also at best 5% better and 67% more expensive. The Hankook V12 has been shown to have more dry grip, equal wet grip and to be equally as quiet as the PS2 (probably comparable to the Michelin Super Sport) and a set of 265/35R18's and 285/35R18's cost $736 versus $1,228 for the Michelin SS. :eek:

Later,
Steve (aka cheap bastard) :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you guys find the Hankooks to run true to size? I'm looking at 265/30/19 and 305/30/19 right now (currently running Yokohama Advan Sport in the front and Hoosier A6 in the rear) would the V12s fit the same?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts