Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever you see a animation of the solar system, all of the planets pretty much appear to be orbiting the sun on the same plane. Is this how it really happens and, if so, why is that (as opposed to each planet orbiting on random planes like electrons in an atom)?

Thanks

PS: To stave off the inevitable complaining about asking such a question in SFOT:

Potentially NWS

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
I believe their orbits are orientated at varying angles in respect to the same horizontal plane. Not sure though.

EDIT: I'm wrong. They all orbit in the same plane.

The orbits of the planets are coplanar because during the Solar System's formation, the planets formed out of a disk of dust which surrounded the Sun. Because that disk of dust was a disk, all in a plane, all of the planets formed in a plane as well.
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=205

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy hell, SFOT comes through. Thanks

·
Kickin'G ASs 24/7
1,636 Posts
not 100percent sure, but the reason goes back to gravity and anti-matter..!!..or dark matter..!!...gravity holds all of the planets in check in relation to the sun, since the sun is the center of our solar system, all of the planets must orbit in the same plane, although angle, speed, and shape might be different due to the planets themselves, size, etc. they all must follow the rules of physics..!!

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
imagine all the planets attached to sun by a string... now make the sun start spinning on its axis. all the planets are going to be circling the sun on some horizontal plane.

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
i guess i should explain more... the solar system was just originally a ball of gas. then particles starting attracting eachother, stuff began clumping together which caused more stuff to be attracted to it via gravity.

this mass starting spinning all the while attracting more and more matter... if you spin something extremely fast its going to flatten out like a pancake . blah blah blah and the planets formed /end

·
Thinking Person
1,533 Posts
It has to do with how the sun formed. I didn't read the article above me, but I'm sure that explains how the disk was formed from the dust cloud. Pluto was not a part of this concentric disk and is obviously not a real planet but part of the Kuiper belt of objects (there are several, two are named Xena and Gabrielle lol).

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Fairlady is on top of it, our system started as a solar nebula. Massive amounts of gas and debris were spinning very fast around like arms attached to the the birthing sun. As gravity pulls things together planets form, all on roughly the same plane.

Now other systems, and even galaxies, have their own planes but do not parallel ours.

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
Its like placing sand on a turn table..then spinning it. The sand will expand out. If you did it in space...the sand would be on the same plane... Nothing is moving it in any other direction.

·
2,279 Posts
Reading anything science related on SF is always fun(ny).

The planets are all roughly on the same orbital plane, sans pluto. However the orbital paths are NOT concentric (despite the multiple "examples" given tried to imply). Lots of variation there.

·
Time for change
6,868 Posts
My guess is it has to due with the Stars polarity. It must also have a north and south magnetic pole, and like all things in relation to gravity, it would eventually settle compressed b/t the two fields... Just a thought.

Don't confuse gravity(magnetism) with magnetism as we'd observe with a ferrite core. Like two magnets are attracted by opposite poles, don't think of earth and say the Sun as two magnets north and south, it doesn't work that way.

Here is a question though, does anyone know at what rate our SUN rotates?

Its like placing sand on a turn table..then spinning it. The sand will expand out. If you did it in space...the sand would be on the same plane... Nothing is moving it in any other direction.
Eh... it goes outward, because gravity pulls it down from going UP, and the table prevents it from going down... Where else would the sand go but radially? Not the same principles me thinks. :]

1 - 20 of 37 Posts