Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there are 3 kits available. which one is the right one?
aquamist
how many hours does it usually take to install a water- injectionkit? do you set the waternozzle before or after a fmic or before the throttle body? or do you set 2 or 3 nozzles?
what is the estimated hp gain with a water-injection kit on bpu? where did you place the water tank on your cars? how much volume has your tank? and how long do you usually drive arround with one water-injection-tank? when the water injection begins to spray into the fmic pipes does it change the a/f ratio? is it leaner or richer or the same?
sorry to ask so much but I can't find any other guys to help me out with this:D

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Chip Schwartz has run water injection. The last time I spoke with him about it, he had disconnected it because he felt the pump was not strong enough.

Search for his Forum's name "Lagtime" and send him an email. He's very knowledgeable and a super nice guy.

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
John is right. The pump is not capable of sufficient volume for a 3.0L motor flowing enough air for 500+ crank horsepower. The kits are nice, and of good quality, but are more suited to a 2.0L motor or smaller.

Don't waste your money.

IMO, the way to go is the SMC kit used by the Turbo Buick crowd. Do a Google search on "SMC".

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'd also suggest checking out the SMC kit.

We have a forum dedicated to alcohol/water injection at www.turbobuick.com and folks will be more than happy to help.

Also plenty of past threads to sift through. Good luck!

Scott

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
mystic said:
Do you like that kit Chip? Do you use it?
I use 100 Octane 24/7, but the Supra is not my daily driver so I can afford to splurge.

If the car was my daily I would have the SMC kit.

·
3,148 Posts
I have it on my Supra (unhooked right now). I don't think it adds anything on a BPU Supra so I am removing it (even though I now have the SP63). It helps on the dyno if your running pump gas, but on the street you don't have timing retard on pump gas at anywhere near the safe levels of the stock turbo's (about 18.5psi). If you lived where 91 octane was the highest, it would probably make a difference.

Later, Steve

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@all,
thanks for your support. the reason for this question is, that I usually boost around 21-22 psi at my bpu ++. Now, a friend of mine told me that I should have too high intake air temp before the throttle body infact of heating up my turbos too much, but I love the torque at 22 psi. that will give a never ending bad circulation, means heating up the air from the turbos going to the throttle body will heat up the engine and the turbos again.....result will be less power at the top end or in worst case a blown engine.... now I was thinking about to lower the intake air temps with a waterinjection to cool down the air after the fmic..... to be honest I realy don't now how hot my intake air is, perhaps I have to verifiy first this point. Does anybody knows some numbers of a perfect intake air temp before throttle body? anyone?
thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
It helps on the dyno if your running pump gas, but on the street you don't have timing retard on pump gas at anywhere near the safe levels of the stock turbo's (about 18.5psi). If you lived where 91 octane was the highest, it would probably make a difference.

Later, Steve
I got some timing retard on 93 octane with my BPU. Timing wouldn't max out (23 degrees is max) until 6.2k. After a long pull, it would never hit 23 degrees. But the problem is, WI won't help that much if you can't hold good boost to redline. In order to take advantage of it, you need to raise the boost.

Steve my don't you use it to run 22+ psi on your SP63 on pump gas? I plan too on my T66.

Badtoy: Intake temp isn't the probem as much as exhaust backpressure is. WI will reduce detonation though...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Grant,
many thanks for your answer. I still think that our compressed air that comes from the turbos will be something arround 120 to 200 Celsius perhaps more . If the air is too hot , the ecu will adjust the ignition and boost pressure will fall. What I understand. the water/alcohol injection should be something like a second "ic". I know, nobody thinks that this is the money worth for a car with stock twins, but over here there is no way to go on bigger turbos than stock..... no change to make a turbo upgrade legal over here......tooooo bad :( :(

·
3,148 Posts
Grant,

It would be benificial used the way you suggest, but I don't feel like the hassle. I won't be running 21+ psi on the roadcourse anyway.

Later, Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts