Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of upgrading from an Aem Ems v1 to an Aem Infinity 506 Ems in the future, but am concerned with the unresolved misfire issues I’ve heard from other owners and the fact that Aem support recommended their old Series 2 ems for a daily driver instead of the infinity.

Considering the infinity 506 is newer and supposed be better hardware, is anyone running it with no misfires, glitches, and able to drive 1,000+ mile road trips with no problems? If yes, please share your setups here 🙂.

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,368 Posts
I’ve built cars that have gone distance on Infinity but the misfire issue remains unresolved. FYI you can go ProEFI for a couple bucks more.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've got an infinity 712, did a firmware update early on, custom tweak'd harness, DBW, speed density, IGN1As. I don't have the misfire issue. ECU has been great since day 1, its safeties has saved my motor a couple times. The ECU is the last of my concerns if I were to take the car on a long road trip.

·
Hardtopper
2,479 Posts
A buddy of mine had a slew of minor common issues, including the random hiccup while driving. The final straw was it became nearly impossible to connect to the ECU with a laptop so back to AEM it went. I'm not sure if the unit was just updated/fixed or replaced, but happy to report it eliminated the random hiccup/misfire, along with the other issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A buddy of mine had a slew of minor common issues, including the random hiccup while driving. The final straw was it became nearly impossible to connect to the ECU with a laptop so back to AEM it went. I'm not sure if the unit was just updated/fixed or replaced, but happy to report it eliminated the random hiccup/misfire, along with the other issues.
Which aem infinity model was he using?

·
Hardtopper
2,479 Posts
Fairly certain it's a 506

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
Never more than a couple 300 mile trips each way to Vegas. Still have the random hiccup, 506 box #2. Don't know anyone that doesn't have it, actually.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Never more than a couple 300 mile trips each way to Vegas. Still have the random hiccup, 506 box #2. Don't know anyone that doesn't have it, actually.
thanks for sharing. are you using oem ignitor, original wires, and oem coil packs?

·
Mamba Still On Top
3,462 Posts
thanks for sharing. are you using oem ignitor, original wires, and oem coil packs?
OEM ignitor, new OEM Denso coils, Kaizen Motorsports harness with tefzel throughout, even a HKS DLI despite it not being required. Never had an issue with the harness since Jose made it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OEM ignitor, new OEM Denso coils, Kaizen Motorsports harness with tefzel throughout, even a HKS DLI despite it not being required. Never had an issue with the harness since Jose made it.
. It sounds like this random hickup and misfire is related to the oem ignitor. Does it matter whether the infinity is in wasted spark or sequential spark mode?

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,295 Posts
I personally put over 3,000 miles on an AEM Infinity 506 (On a GTR) and the new owner put another 2,500 miles on his road trip home after purchasing it for a total of 5,500 plus miles with no issues. What I have found is sometimes people blame the ECU (all manufactures) for issues related to 20+ year old wiring or parts. This doesn't account for faulty units which I'm sure exist as it's built by man at rapidly fast production. I loved my Aem Infinity as all the Aem products I have ever installed, gauges, V1 ecu, V2 ecu on Supra's. That being said on my current new build I plan to go Pro EFI more so because I have not used it yet and I hear great things about it as well.

You will be happy with an Infinity or really anyone of the top ecu out there now. It really comes down to the same old statement; whos tuning the vehicle and or what platform are you used to using, and which is more user friendly. (y)

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
As a current 506 owner experiencing the occasional hiccup issue, I've been reading online and have met others with first hand experience that the fix is to upgrade away from the OEM igniter and coil packs. The 506 has no issues with the 2JZ when it's on either the IGN-1A or r35 coils, both of which delete the OEM igniter box.

I'm planning on going with R35 coils myself in my next build, as I want to retain the stock VVTI coil cover.

·
I turn my own wrenches!
5,295 Posts
As a current 506 owner experiencing the occasional hiccup issue, I've been reading online and have met others with first hand experience that the fix is to upgrade away from the OEM igniter and coil packs. The 506 has no issues with the 2JZ when it's on either the IGN-1A or r35 coils, both of which delete the OEM igniter box.

I'm planning on going with R35 coils myself in my next build, as I want to retain the stock VVTI coil cover.
That might make better sense as my GTR was on Infinity 506 was running R35 coils. But even before I went R35 coils no issues. Maybe this is a sign the culprit is the 2jz Oem igniter.

Op, I would definitely try to resolve the misfire issue prior to going to any new Ecu.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts