Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ive been throwing around an idea for a while, which im not going to reveal, that would require two turbos able to support a little more power than the stock 2jz ct12b's. They dont have to be toyota turbos, here are the rough parameters:

***Before anyone even tries to guess, no I am not trying to substitute larger turbos into the MKIV sequential system.

-Able to support a little more than OE US Spec ct12b's (as a pair, not per turbo)
-Good spool (no ancient turbos like the old CT series)
-Pretty reliable
-Not too hard to find used
-The cheaper the better....

would be awesome if they were not internally gated, but its not too big of a deal.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
When you say "tiny bit bigger," are you referring to physical size, or producing just a little bit more power than the stock twins?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew I should have clarified that. I would be looking for something that could support a little more power than the ct12b's. 475-600 reliable hp would be excellent. Twin gt28rs's would be great for the finished product, but I want to test the idea on something decent I can get used for a reasonable price.

·
Blue Thunder
3,591 Posts
Are the T25's off Eclipses not bigger than the CT12's ? If not, the T28's are
easy to find used from the DSM guys.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the T25's off Eclipses not bigger than the CT12's ? If not, the T28's are
easy to find used from the DSM guys.
Yea they are bigger. I havent looked into them much, but some of them may be too big for what im interested in. Correct me if im wrong but some of those can support 400-500hp, and though that may be in upgraded form, im looking to support 500-600hp total, not per turbo.

·
EZ2CYI1
875 Posts
Yea they are bigger. I havent looked into them much, but some of them may be too big for what im interested in. Correct me if im wrong but some of those can support 400-500hp, and though that may be in upgraded form, im looking to support 500-600hp total, not per turbo.
Are you saying that the T28 might be bigger than what you want? Because the T25's are small and aren't anything special, the 14B off a first gen DSM is bigger and better than the T25. 14B's can be found cheap.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you saying that the T28 might be bigger than what you want? Because the T25's are small and aren't anything special, the 14B off a first gen DSM is bigger and better than the T25. 14B's can be found cheap.
How much do the 14b's flow? Im looking for something in the 31-34lbs/min range (450-500cfm), or maybe a hair more. While I obviously want the least expensive thing I can, I am more concerned with boost threshold than a a tiny bit of extra cash.

***Thanks for the tip. I looked around some more and the !STANDARD! TD05H 16g looks to be damn near perfect. I believe its rated at 505cfm, and 77% compressor efficiency! Now, the only problem is about 90% of the original td05-16g's have been upgraded to larger compressor wheels.....

·
Blue Thunder
3,591 Posts
How much do the 14b's flow? Im looking for something in the 31-34lbs/min range (450-500cfm), or maybe a hair more. While I obviously want the least expensive thing I can, I am more concerned with boost threshold than a a tiny bit of extra cash.

***Thanks for the tip. I looked around some more and the !STANDARD! TD05H 16g looks to be damn near perfect. I believe its rated at 505cfm, and 77% compressor efficiency! Now, the only problem is about 90% of the original td05-16g's have been upgraded to larger compressor wheels.....

Evos have 16g's in them too !!!! You can pick 'em used up for $250-$350 from www.evolutionm.net .
Alot of the Evo guys are putting the GT35Rs on their cars and selling off the stockers. I'll be going that route next !!! :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Check out Stu HAgens web site on hybrid turbo's.

http://www.97supraturbo.com/

Basically he put a T3 60 compressor wheel on the CT12. I like his idea of the JDM spec turbine with a T3 60 compressor that looks even better.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why? the cost to do this you could get a log manifold and a 61mm and save money and make way more power?
trust me, the turbos would not be setup/plumbed in any configuration you have seen or heard of before.... Sure the 61 would make more power (maybe), but if my concept check out this will destroy it in terms of boost threshold.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Evos have 16g's in them too !!!! You can pick 'em used up for $250-$350 from www.evolutionm.net .
Alot of the Evo guys are putting the GT35Rs on their cars and selling off the stockers. I'll be going that route next !!! :D
it was the EVO3 thats had the 16g, however I believe they had the big 16g's (550cfm), as opposed to the small 16g (505cfm), which is what I would need.

Check out Stu HAgens web site on hybrid turbo's.

http://www.97supraturbo.com/

Basically he put a T3 60 compressor wheel on the CT12. I like his idea of the JDM spec turbine with a T3 60 compressor that looks even better.
I am well aware of stu's setup, but I want to test my idea with cheap turbos (ala the 16g), and upgrade to nice garrett GT units if it happened to work as well as I hope.

On the other hand, if anyone knows of a standard non-wastegated exhaust housing that will fit the ct12b's (at a good price), I would rather use them.

·
Blue Thunder
3,591 Posts
it was the EVO3 thats had the 16g, however I believe they had the big 16g's (550cfm), as opposed to the small 16g (505cfm), which is what I would need.

Ughh yeah, but my Evo V/// has a TDO5H-16g turbo on it from the factory.:1poke:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ughh yeah, but my Evo V/// has a TDO5H-16g turbo on it from the factory.:1poke:

mitsu turbos as weird as hell, im willing to bet the 16g on yours is vastly different from the 16g's I have been looking at. There are about 8 different variations of the td05h and 2 variations of the 16 + alot of custom variations.

Its a headache

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what the hell are you trying to do ? im curious as hell
:agreed: ^^^ I'm with him
Not ready to reveal it yet, as there is a chance that concept might not check out. I have to sit down and get really frendly with engine exhaust and turbine flow equations before I have a definitive answer.

they still make the ct series, so it really isn't that prehistoric.
I was pretty much refering to the old ct26, which doesnt exactly have the best spool characteristics for its compressor output.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
good guess, but no. Compound boosting is much better suited for deisel engines than petrol due to the obvious detonation issues resulting from the rediculously high boost levels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts