Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched, not much information besides everyone said it's a huge [email protected](# PITA to do.

Realistically , how hard is it and how long is spent on removal?

If someone can post a write up / DIY with some pictures that'd be great.

I'm still debating whether or not I should replace mine...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It is time consuming, especially when working alone, but it is NOT hard to do. It's definitely not a HUGE pita. If you work on your own shit, and are capable of doing more than an oil change, this is something that you can definitely do yourself with minor headaches.

Keep in mind that it is a relatively fragile piece and you don't want to break any of the inner structure while you're putting the new one in.

All you need is the TSRM, which basically gives you the step by step. I haven't seen anyone do a DIY, but it may be useful. It wouldn't really be more informative than the TSRM, but people do like to see the actual pictures, and hear some insight from those who have done it. I thought about doing one myself, but I was in a hurry to get it together, so I said fuck it. Here's your chance to have a DIY Sticky.

Download the MKIV TSRM App, and look under Body Mechanical. The info you need starts at page BO-44, "Instrument Panel".

Good luck. It is definitely worth it!

EDIT: As far as timeline goes, I don't know what to tell you there. I worked on mine off and on over the course of 2-3 weeks. I've got 3 kids... so... enough said there. It was my first time doing it, so of course it took a bit longer. To do it again, if I were left the fuck alone for more than 15 minutes at a time, I'm fairly certain that I could remove and replace a dash assembly in a day... maybe even half a day.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've done this a few times. Never used a tsrm, just did as I went after a few times you figure what to do and not to do.

First thing is I can say is don't get frustrated and pull on shit, there's a reason it's not coming off. The dash is delicate around the steering column.

2 main things you want to do first is unbolt the e brake and drop the steering column. This will make it easier to work the dash out especially if your alone.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I've done this a few times. Never used a tsrm, just did as I went after a few times you figure what to do and not to do.

First thing is I can say is don't get frustrated and pull on shit, there's a reason it's not coming off. The dash is delicate around the steering column.

2 main things you want to do first is unbolt the e brake and drop the steering column. This will make it easier to work the dash out especially if your alone.
I just did this, I removed the 2 nuts on the steering column and I was unable to push it down off the bolts for good room, the tilt arm is what kept getting in my way. Are you only getting 2-3" of extra room from that?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I just did this, I removed the 2 nuts on the steering column and I was unable to push it down off the bolts for good room, the tilt arm is what kept getting in my way. Are you only getting 2-3" of extra room from that?
Drop the entire column, there's another 2 14mm nuts to get towards the firewall

There will be some connectors to unplug before u can rest the column on the floor

·
Registered
945 Posts
Drop the entire column, there's another 2 14mm nuts to get towards the firewall

There will be some connectors to unplug before u can rest the column on the floor
Damn just went and looked and those are there. Man that would have made it easier definitely undoing all 4 when I put it back in!! Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts