Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to cut steel sheet to match the footprint of the grill in the rear wheel well, and match drill and install back with the grill. I have been having issues with large amounts of rain water coming into the cabin at both brake duct locations, presumably off the tires as they roll forward (if you havent seen my previous thread on the leak here it is:Water Leak :( )

Does anyone foresee any problems that might arise if I completely or partially block these off? I believe the vents to be more aesthetic than functional, since the actual brake sits near the rear of the wheel and any air routed through the duct really only reaches the tire.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why are your brake ducts open to the inside of your car?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you take a look forward through the wheel well vent/grill plate, you should see that (perpendicular) towards the inside there is a hole that opens into the cabin..... I assume, for pressure release purposes. It is blocked off from directly entering the cabin by the plastic trim panel adjacent to rear seat, but there is still ample room for water/debris to kick off the rear wheel, through the grill slats and into the hole..... only to funnel under the trim panel to the areas below rear and front seats.

Alternatively, maybe the trough between the inlet on the body panel and the wheel well grill is filling and overflowing into the cabin. Whichever the case, all 3 seat bottoms were in pools of water containing road silt. Doubtful I have a floorboard leak since both driver and passenger sides were equally wet, and even the raised frame area upon which the back seats sit was saturated.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Ditto Brit.

Why are you putting all those panels on that thing?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Errm, it seems that some of you are not getting the gist of what I am saying.... but no worries.

Regardless of the cause, back up to my original question:
Will the blocking of the wheel well hole cause any functional problems?

·
Super Moderator
46,550 Posts
what do you think of this?

fitchbuck said:
If you take a look forward through the wheel well vent/grill plate, you should see that (perpendicular) towards the inside there is a hole that opens into the cabin..... I assume, for pressure release purposes. It is blocked off from directly entering the cabin by the plastic trim panel adjacent to rear seat, but there is still ample room for water/debris to kick off the rear wheel, through the grill slats and into the hole..... only to funnel under the trim panel to the areas below rear and front seats.
The pressure check valve for the cabin is located under the right rear bumper cover.The valve is used for when the doors are closed with the windows up.

I would remove the Qtr. trim panels,silicone any gaps-holes.Then re-install the panels.

Also the sport roof has two drain hoses at the rear of the sport roof.The lower part of the hoses drain into that area.Try using a blow gun at the top and make sure the hoses are free.Then try to pour water through the hoses and make sure its drains on the pavement-not the interior of the car.

Also I had a mkiv in for service a few years back for rear washer not working.After a whole days worth of work I found the problem.The L/R qtr panel was replaced a while back,and the body shop had melted the washer hose at the b pillar.Whenever the rear washer was used it would squirt water under the carpets on the left rear.Odd thing we emptyed 2 full washers jars to figure out it was leaking there.What a mess after 6 months of fluid under the carpet.

call me with a fax# I can shoot some pictures over to you.

Curt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts