Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying one for towing some waverunners this summer.

Do they ride/drive similar to other large GM Suvs? Is the gas mileage that much worst than say a 2500 HD? Maintenance Cost? Any reliability issues?

Can anyone speak on the choice by GM to use the IRS rear end?

Thanks, discuss :)

·
i lift trucks
1,204 Posts
The H3 is a pig. I am going to assume you were more interested in the H2.
Our Expedition feels like it moves a whole hell of a lot better than the H3, wouldn't buy one.

H2, someone else will have to chime in.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 03-04 H2 of course. They are dirt cheap at the auctions right now, so I thought I'd pick it over say a 2500HD truck, as I won't be pulling heavy loads.

Not looking for any H1 comparisons. :dumbass:

·
Mocha Mamba
749 Posts
I used to sell Hummers for a while.....

I don't know which one your want to know about because there is a couple different models out there. There is the H2, H2 SUT, H3, and H3T (same thing as H3 but with a pickup bed).

If your talking about the H2, its a great SUV for what it is. I kinda forgot what a 2500 gets for mileage but an H2 will get you about 13-14mpg. Starting in 08 GM decided to use the same engine and transmission as the Escalade (6 speed auto, 6.2, 403 hp, 417 tq). The ratings were a bit down for the H2, but in reality it was the same. And also, the ride is surprisingly pretty good. Many people who I worked with and sold cars to said they picked the H2 over the Escalade for long trips. I've taken them both on fairly long trips and the H2 is pretty damn comfortable...I've driven just about every GM SUV out there for extended periods of time and I only prefer the Escalade because of the luxuries. and even though the H2 is a big suv, it is super easy to drive around town. It has a really good turning radius FWIW, good for small lots and stuff. Towing is also pretty good, around 8000 pound limit iirc.

Now, if your talking about the H3, thats a different story. I'm assuming by comparing it to large SUVs and 2500's you weren't but I'll give you some info anyway. basically, the 3.7 I5 is slow and gets about 17-18 mpg. It is a bit load driving around but it okay for what it is. The H3 Alpha has the 5.3 liter v8 and gets about 14-15 mpg. Its obviously smaller and only tows about 5000 with the V8...3000 i think with the I5. If your doing any offroading, the H3 is perfect. Due to its size, it can go places where the H2 and even H1 can't. It has the turning radius of an Accord or better (literally), and is REALLY easy to drive. The ride is okay but not the best out there.

Hope some of this helps....the best thing to do is drive one and try to get one on a Hummer off road track which some dealerships have. Hummers love all the different elements and are hands down the best off road built SUV's out there right now..

·
Registered
432 Posts
if i remember right from a discussion a few years back, an H2 is 2500 HD underneath, and the top is the only thing different.

·
Mocha Mamba
749 Posts
okay, just saw you said 03-04 H2's.....they pretty good as well but have the 6.0 liter/4 speed auto and a couple different smaller differences. Mileage is about the same and ride is good as well. I recommend looking at 08's/09's though, they are cheap as well and you get the upgrades....

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
How is Hummer still in buisness? I know gas is cheap for now and such but they get a bad rap for being a pig of a vehicle and their owners as pricks. Basically they draw a lot of negative attention. I'm not saying it's deserved, I just wouldn't drive one for fear of getting my tires slashed all the time by tree-huggers.

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
My next door neigbor has an H2. IMO its worthless.
5cyl so it has no power IMO. My 06 pathfinder would put this thing to horrible shame.
The it has like no interior/cargo space compared to my Pathfinder. I have actually needed to use my Pathfinder to help him pick bigger things up.

I do like that it is much higher then my Finder though. Better ground clearance, but that is about it.
Gas mileage I think he gets a little better.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
ford svt raptor w/ 6.2L boss FTW.....svt engineered the boss to hit nearly 700hp w/ headers/light cam/ tune reliabley ....

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
My next door neigbor has an H2. IMO its worthless.
5cyl so it has no power IMO. My 06 pathfinder would put this thing to horrible shame.
The it has like no interior/cargo space compared to my Pathfinder. I have actually needed to use my Pathfinder to help him pick bigger things up.

I do like that it is much higher then my Finder though. Better ground clearance, but that is about it.
Gas mileage I think he gets a little better.

H3 has a 5 cyl, not the H2.

Duckz - The H2 is only somewhat a GM 2500.
So here is the deal: The front frame of the H2 is a 2500 work truck piece with some small mods. The rear frame is more heavily modded and strengthened 1500 truck piece. The mid section of the frame is a custom boxed and stiffened piece.

The truck was semi-contracted to AMGeneral so its not entirely a GM product either, but otherwise, it is about as reliable as any other mid size GM truck of similar year. Body parts are too bad on price because they arent particularly curved or hard parts to make, but they are big. Most of the drivetrain is pretty much GM general with a few Hummer specific parts.

So-so leather and cheapo GM plastics, but with some good tires is actually a pretty decent all around truck. Its not an H1 offroad or a Defender, but its still pretty capable.

MPG is AWFUL. I mean just fucking terrible. I had a brand new one back in 2003 as a demo truck for a little while and I was getting about 6-8mpg? Highway a little better - best of maybeeeee 15?

check out: http://www.hummerknowledgebase.com

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
sorry I meant to type H3. It was too early in the morning for me. Dont even get me started on the other fuckups I had this morning. I feel like a retard today.

·
King of the Jungle
1,265 Posts

I've seen both numerous times for low $20k's and that is in the bloated Seattle automotive market. I'd expect to find both for much less elsewhere, especially in AL. There is a tow-kit available for the SRT. If you need a commercial vehicle write-off, both qualify just like the H2. SRT gas mileage is comparable to the H2 but actually has the speed to back it up (and tons of owners on here can agree for their love of these rigs). The G500 is just sweet, period.

Edit: Shoot, just caught your H3 comment. Hmmm...I'd still look at the above before an H3. But if you are looking for something in that class, Trailblazer SS instead.

·
Registered
313 Posts
With you on that man.

With the qualities that came with the H1, the H2, H3, H4, H5, H6 and whatever else they might come out with just don't compare.

In all seriousness, I personally believe that the Hummer name was brought down due to the introduction of the H2, and even worth with the H3.

no h1 no care

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
....I have a jeep srt8. By next winter it'll be gone. I need to get something than can roll over all of these damn pothole craters in illinois/chicago w/out a hiccup. I've already ripped a break line, cracked a rim, and destroyed a tire in the last 2 years. Next beast will be the raptor.

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I want something big and slow that can tow some jet skis or go off road IF needed. Hummer fits the bill for me, and they are going for an average of $14k at the auction for a sub 100k mile truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts