Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if been trying to find someone who can cut the stock tt fly and most wont touch it and say its dangerous.how is this? and then some turn it just fine as long as its turned dry with a certain stone.and as long as min. is taken off itll be fine im told.true? so what is so special about the tt fly and why is it the best choice for the mk4?

also i found a place to make dual mass units for any type car/truck in n.j. phoenix friction products [lou] will make any fly or any clutch for most anything.they make dual mass units for large trucks mostly and drag cars. they will make ceramic or feramic clutches also. :bigthumb: this thread is for those who will search in the future for this info.

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
As far as danger, I would think it takes great care to cut it on a lathe setup like you might on a one piece solid fw because it has "loose" parts and when you turn something with loose pieces, they can fly. In a milling machine with the part held down properly, you still have to be careful because of the basic internal loose parts.

If you can't find somebody closer to you, I'm almost positive Rich at Fuzion in Havertown PA had a few turned for customers, maybe his own too before he went to the dark side with a worked auto. He posts here as T78Supra.

As far as I know, all the dual mass flywheel does is dampen out tranny vibrations/rattles so you don't hear them. Also, if you prefer a higher mass fw, the stocker has a lot more mass/inertia than a lwfw so less likely to let the engine bog out of the hole.

Trucks usually have multi-plate clutches and could also have dual mass fw ...that's why some people say my HKS triple sounds like a UPS truck ;) ...at least when it's making noise which is not most of the time. I just think of that UPS babe in skimpy cloths and I'm OK with it.

·
Cheifbootknocka
1,944 Posts
My though of danger is when you shave weight off a flywheel you have a greater chance of shattering it. Thats why they have scatter shields or bellhousings.
It can kill, It will shred a car

·
Registered
13,583 Posts
Erven,
I think I might have gotten retinal damage this afternoon from all the shiney stuff on your Supra ...damn you got a fine lookin' machine :) ...and not to be hijacking this thread, it has a dual mass flywheel too ;)

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think I saw MMILLER post that south bend clutch cut his dual mass flywheel, although I think you're not supposed to cut them? Just do what I did w/ my 97 HP Civic beater-resurface it w/ a roloc disc :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts