Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dude selling an HKS Twin Power from his SC300. He's not sure what version or wtf it is. It'll work with the NA Supra's won't it? Since we are both distributor.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone have one and can take a pic of it installed for me. The TT guys have to splice in like 6 wires or something. This guy tells me this just plugs into the ignition wire that goes to the center of the distributor. So basically it's a plug and play unit. I was just wondering if this is true.

Also, how can I know whether his HKS Twin Power will work on my car? Is there a number or shit on the unit I should look for?

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Dont know about that....I think it wires in between the stock harness and the coil to provide more of a charge to the coil to the distributor.

I would look into an MSD unit. It would save you some $$$ and you would still get the benifits

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's this MSD Unit? The only MSD item I know of is the no2 window switch. I looked on mvp under MKIV NA Ignition and can't find anything.

As to the HKS Twin, this guy is selling it around 200 so I think that's a decent price.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kdirty130 said:
give me the numbe to the guy, i'll take it if you don't.

jay

SHIT FUCK, lol. That's why I hate hinting anything, I'll get competition, haha. I don't want to turn a good deal into an eBay auction.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Talking about the Sport Compact Model

http://www.msdignition.com/sci_6.htm

If you get the SCI-plus you can factor in NOS configurations.

For $200 though....I would get the HKS!!

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does this look right? I guess supposedly it just plugs in between the connections (kinda like how you would install a turbo timer).

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
MSD is alot better, also get the MSD blaster SS coil to go with your 6AL or whatever model MSD ignition

·
Hardtopper
235 Posts
Hey michaelvanle, that’s the one you're looking for. With the harness that looks like it comes with the unit, it's plug and play. Installed one about a month ago, paid $300.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I could not boost over 19 psi without breaking up. I did nothing but add a HKS DLI distributor, did not even change the spark plug gap. I have boosted as much as 29.5 psi with no issues. The HKS is the best ignition upgrage and so simple, I did look into the AEM CDI unit and the MSD, you would have to add an tach adaptor.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
no experience with the HKS,
but if you do go with a MSD
get the MSD 6 with BTM
this way you can pull back timing as boost levels increase
(the NA's timing is too far forward)

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
That is the correct Twin Power for the NA, with the nice plug-n-play harness. I used one when I still had the distributor, I made 602 rwhp with no ignition issues.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kmn5 said:
also get the MSD blaster SS coil
If I get the HKS, would it be even better if I upgrade to the MSD coil too?

------

Also, what's a handy ground in the engine bay? As you can see by the picture, it has like a prong thing. What's something handy around the coil I can just screw this under?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
hmmm, not sure.
http://www.msdignition.com/coil_blaster_6_8207.htm

Read in the paper catalog that it's made for the MSD6 series, but it doesn't say that on the online catalog...... :dunno:

But if you do go wiht a MSD coil, don't get the regular one
only the SS model puts out 48,000 volts @ 300mA

the standard Blaster coil only makes 45,000 Volts @ 140ma less then 1/2 of the Blastter SS model (they don't list it on the website tought) HA!

my main reason for getting the msd 6 BTM for for the timing retard, only other way to pull timg for the NA is with an AEM I think and that $$$ plus a total PITA to tune
(looked into the AEM, and heard major issues with tuning)

good luck

R

·
0 Posts
Michael - all you need is the HKS and you'll be fine. Chris made 624rwhp and even more with the 71 on there, no worries.....

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
I've had the HKS Twin Power on mine for years, literally. Works great. I paid retail for it though, $500 I think.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts