Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
The more accurate descroption of the GD Max Clutch would be:

HKS GD Clutch Max Twin-Plate performance clutch kits are vehicle specific Pull-Type racing clutch applications designed for street-car use. Special spring dampening between plates allow for progressive engagement, enhancing driveability. Specific applications include a spring hub for additional enhanced clutch engagement characteristics.

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1227

Let me know if you have and specific questions, I will try to anwer them for you.

Thanks

Willie

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jza8shwoff said:
Let me know if you have and specific questions, I will try to anwer them for you.

Thanks
Willie
First of all do you have this clutch?
How easy is it to drive?
Pedal pressure?
Rattle noise?
Cost?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Tim,

I have had personal experience with the ACT, OS, HKS Triple and also the HKS GD Max. For me current Supra I will be going with the GD. I have a Supra here that already has the GD Max and is running a T04R, seems to be holding up very well.

I would say its fairly easy to drive. Pedal pressure is similar to stock, if not a bit lighter. The "grabbing power" of the pressure plate is more agressive over the stock, but very managable for driving in traffic or other situations. Engagement, as with any upgraded clutch, will take some adjusting too, but its overall smooth when gradually engaging it; due to the spring dampeners between the primary plates and the sprung hub. (If you where to say "drop the clutch" it will grab with all the characteristics of any mutli-plate clutch. The lightened flywheels also makes a difference in the revs - faster and easier rpm matching for downshifting into a corner.

There is minimal chatter/noise for multi-plate clutch, I have heard much worse. If my knowledge serves me correct, it was a bit less than the HKS Triple I had and much less than the OS.

HKS GD Max clutch - 2JZ-GTE 6spd MSRP $2050.00

Hope that helps,

Will

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Will.

So you reallly like it correct? I was debating between the CD max or RPS Stage III w/L flywheel.

I just wanted to get an idea of what people think about this clutch.

Also one more question when you do dump the cltuch hard is there a more higher drive line shock over stock clutch? The reason I am asking is cause I don't really want to damage my tranny by causing a hard shock to it when I dump it. I know people say that the HKS triple disc is very hard on your drive line.

Also where did u buy it from and did you pay $2050 MSRP?

Thanks so much.
Tim.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
yeah, as M Miller stated.i have a brand new GD Max laying here in box waiting for me to install it. Will be in the car in about a month. I will give my feedback on it. I have in their now the previous version of the HKS twin disk unsprung..and loved it..so i am sure this one will be that much better. I 1/4 mile race alot..so will share how it holds up at the track.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Oh and btw...i paid quite a bit less then 2050.....:) Taimur.....i sugggest you give Joe at ALtered ATmosphere here in Maryland a call.....He should give you a price under 2050 for sure.....and last i checked had one in stock. And when ordered i had mine in about a week

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
Taimur,

No prob for the response. I understand what you are looking to find out. Like I said before, I have been two five different clutches and on my new supra, I have pretty much decided to go with the GD Max from the beginning.

I typically "slip" the clucth usually anyways, it gives me more control and less wheel spin (though it may wear the discs a bit faster - thats what works for me). Being that the GD Max has a sprung hub, it would be likely to add that much stress on the drivetrain - but to be honest..its mostly in how you luanch too.

$2050 is just HKS' MSRP.. you can purchase it from any HKS dealer or any tuner that carries HKS. If you want to let me know where youre at, I can refer you to someone.

Silver Bullet,

The guys at altered are great. Let me know how the clutch works for you when you get it in..

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I currently have the HKS Twin and it can be pretty hard to drive in heavy traffic, is the GD Max much different? Also how much HP is the GD Max rated at?

Jza8shwoff said:
Taimur,

No prob for the response. I understand what you are looking to find out. Like I said before, I have been two five different clutches and on my new supra, I have pretty much decided to go with the GD Max from the beginning.

I typically "slip" the clucth usually anyways, it gives me more control and less wheel spin (though it may wear the discs a bit faster - thats what works for me). Being that the GD Max has a sprung hub, it would be likely to add that much stress on the drivetrain - but to be honest..its mostly in how you luanch too.

$2050 is just HKS' MSRP.. you can purchase it from any HKS dealer or any tuner that carries HKS. If you want to let me know where youre at, I can refer you to someone.

Silver Bullet,

The guys at altered are great. Let me know how the clutch works for you when you get it in..

Thanks

·
Formerly jza8shwoff
128 Posts
I currently have the HKS Twin and it can be pretty hard to drive in heavy traffic, is the GD Max much different? Also how much HP is the GD Max rated at?
Elliott

The current or existing HKS Twin and Triples are now being called the GD Pro (Its a HKS Japan thing..) and the new addition to the HKS clutch line is the GD Max which is a Twin Plate system like the Twin GD Pro, but has the addition of a sprung hub and spring loaded dampening between the first two primary plates that sandwich the first disk. This is designed to allow for a more progressive engagment of the fist disk.

I would have to say that the GD Max is a easier than the GD Pro Triple that I had in my old car ( I am assuming that your Twin version is about the same if not a bit easier) in heavy traffic.

I will try to get some diagrams that illustrate how this works if anyone wants to see it. They should be up on the HKSUSA.com site in a few weeks too.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
The old HKS twin disk.is not that bad at all IMHO. The first 1000 miles were horrible..but once broken in...drives like a normal clutch. ANd can be slipped very well too. I am looking forward to trying out the new one . Install should be in about a month.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for your response. I am definitely excited to hear good feedback about this clutch. The reason why this clutch caught my attention is cause it has the sprung discs which I think is less stress on driveline.

I do want to purchase GD Max in about a month or so but want to get a good deal as well.

Silver Bullet can you give me a number or website for Altered ATmosphere? Also if you don't mind how much did you pay to get one. And I want to hear about it after you install it.
Thanks.

Jza8shwoff said:
Thanks
Will,
Thanks for your feedback. I live in New York but I would want to order it from the best and inexpensive place I can get my hands on one. Can you tell where you got one from and how much you paid?

Thanks guys.
Thanks a lot guys.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
Taimur,

Altereds website is www.alteredatmosphere.com

Phone number is 301-330-8835

And when you call ask for Joe.....I am good friends with him......so he will give you best price there is on HKS stuff....i paid 1500 :) But he should get close to that price for you as well.

Will keep you guys posted on how i like it once its installed.

Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the info Will, I've driven an HKS Triple and there isn't much different between the twin and triple, looks like the GD Max is a good set up for a street car.

Jza8shwoff said:

Elliott

The current or existing HKS Twin and Triples are now being called the GD Pro (Its a HKS Japan thing..) and the new addition to the HKS clutch line is the GD Max which is a Twin Plate system like the Twin GD Pro, but has the addition of a sprung hub and spring loaded dampening between the first two primary plates that sandwich the first disk. This is designed to allow for a more progressive engagment of the fist disk.

I would have to say that the GD Max is a easier than the GD Pro Triple that I had in my old car ( I am assuming that your Twin version is about the same if not a bit easier) in heavy traffic.

I will try to get some diagrams that illustrate how this works if anyone wants to see it. They should be up on the HKSUSA.com site in a few weeks too.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Parham said:
How much power will the GD Max clutch hold?
This should answer your question partially...

Jza8shwoff said:
I have had personal experience with the ACT, OS, HKS Triple and also the HKS GD Max. For me current Supra I will be going with the GD. I have a Supra here that already has the GD Max and is running a T04R, seems to be holding up very well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
yeah, as M Miller stated.i have a brand new GD Max laying here in box waiting for me to install it.

Silver Bullet, can you please weight GD Max? Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts