Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well After 125K miles I got my first failure on my dawg. My water pump is leaking from the back i think. Could be the hose though but I think its the pump. (I never changed the lower hose cause I have no way of gettint the the stupid clamps nut, need a dremel to cut clamp). I swapped out my turbos cause of the oil consumption but that was my fault, boosint 21psi back then. 80)

Here is my question. Do I have to remove timing belt to do it? I swapped out my belt at about 90K but I dont recall if I had space to remove pump. I dont feel like makint a romance out of it and haveint to take off crank pully etc. Thanks in advance. Oh, 125K and no problems at all, still drives like day one.
Happy boosting.
www.wuzupgod.com

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
Mighty Mouse said:
....water pump is leaking.... Do I have to remove timing belt to do it?....

I don't think you do. I replaced the water pump at 60K miles when I replaced the timing belt, so I've only done both at the same time, but there is enough space to get the pump alone off the car.

You might give Lance a quick call to confirm this.

By the way, I'm the red supra from wpb, that came to towers some time ago.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you the one who was with egbert? I forgot how you say/spell his name but you know what i mean. The one with the single, think he is like 500+ at the wheels, red also.

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
Yep

I was the other red supra parked next to Egbert. I'm going single too. T63 Dual BB from Innovative Turbo Systems.

By the way, is that a real TRD hood? Either way, where did you get it? I wanna do the same thing :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey PB, did you do the water pump yourself?? I hope you didn't disconnect the battery to do this. :eek: JK. I just couldn't resist. And stop talking about it and start doing it damn it. T63 huh? Mighty Mouse, you're Hector right? And yeah, I dyno'd 581, but that was at 23 psi. Just wait a few more days then we'll be talking. ;)

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah its me Hector

What a pain to the water pump. I had to take out the timing belt tensioner to take it out. When i bought the new one it came with the waterpump and the actual thermostate base with it. This was a big assembly. I tough it was only the waterpump. IM only going to swap out the impeller portion, in order to take out the rear section to it, you need to disconnect the thermostate housing, the turbo water line and some other pipe that goes into it. Looks like a huge romance. IT woudl be easy to do if the number one turbo was not in. I think i should chnge my timing belt too being that im there. Then again it only has like 40K on it. Oh well.

·
Huge Member
75 Posts
DAMN YOU!!!!

SingledSupra said:
Hey PB, did you do the water pump yourself?? I hope you didn't disconnect the battery to do this. :eek: JK. I just couldn't resist. And stop talking about it and start doing it damn it. T63 huh? Mighty Mouse, you're Hector right? And yeah, I dyno'd 581, but that was at 23 psi. Just wait a few more days then we'll be talking. ;)
No, I didn't do it myself you fucker :p I went to Wrightouch in Fort Lauderdale. I'm tired of getting my hands dirty working on cars :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Would PB PEDIS happen to be "Paul aka The Supra owner too married to buy any damn mods"?

Yeah you have to remove the timing belt and the timing belt tensioner pully to get to one of the water pump bolts.

·
SupraForums Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I finaly got it done. I figured I would have to get into teh timing belt deal. 80(. But I ended up putting some electric fans and changine my plugs while i was at it. Ill the the oil change tomorrow though. I must say though that I am impressed with the water pump. When i removed it, it has no play at all. The leak was due to the seal failing. The stock gasket has a very small seal . Its less than the thickness of a dime. If toyota would have put more sealent It would have still been happy. I have 125K miles and that pump that I replaced was still good. The new one has a fitting under it. Im guessing its to tell when the bearing seal goes, then it will leak from there. I have changed some on V8 before and notice that it had a small hole under it where they would leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts