Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats good every one? i have a small problem. my 62-1 wouldent fit very well on my mk3. i have a friend that welds aluminum, he got me a 1/2 thick plate that was made to fit but one of my boys keeps telling me it wont stand the heat so know im worried. i looked it up online and it says 900k and some change im asumeing (k) means thousand i should be ok. any one now average temp. on ex. side of turbo. any help is welcome thanks to all. oh ya the plate is a spacer made to lift the turbo of the manifold. cant spin compresser housing to right spot without it. it hits one of the runners.

·
Phantom Flipper
638 Posts
The "K" denotes Kelvin which is a measurement. 900,000 degrees would be quite hot, my friend.

According to a site I found the melting point of aluminum is 1200 degrees fahrenheit. I don't know how that would translate into your usage (i.e. it doesn't melt but conducts a lot of heat) so I can't really tell you how effective it would be in this application.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
i wouldnt be so worried about melting as i would warping. you are best to use mild steel or stainless steel there. btw, if that melted from the heat, your pistons would already be toast anyway.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Doesn’t the #6 runner on the exhaust manifold get to 1400 deg. at WOT?

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ thats because its got coolant jetting all around and through it. thats why when you blow a HG you WILL warp your head because it isnt being cooled enough

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
What grade aluminum?

6061-t6
Melting Point 582 - 652 °C 1080 - 1205 °F

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok know im scared lol. i think ill just go find a t4 flange online just to be safe. my turbos brand new and im not trying to risk f**king it up. mikee your engine looks nasty i hope my 7m grows up to be like yours lol. thanks guys. ya im not sure what kinde of aluminum the plate is my boy that got it for me is a welder but he dident seem to know much about the material. so i guess i will tuck my balls in on this one and go another direction.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Just buy a steel t4 flange or make one to the exact size you need.

If you don't weld it directy to the manifold (I wouldn't) be sure to use extra gaskets between each layer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya have been online for a wile trying to find some one near bye to buy a t4 flange from. but all of them are 3/8 thick 1/2 is perfect. i just went to a machine shop 1/2 hour ago but the guy wants 50 bucks for a small piece of steel and 5 holes. i can finde my own piece of steel and make it my self. ya i got a gasket for both sides of my spacer. but i was looking at it earlyer and i might not use it at all. not sure yet. i might just turn it as fare as i can and plumb around it. thanks again guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts