Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone.
my REAR tires are wearing out a ton faster in the middle? whats the cause. i have only about 31 pounds at most in the tires b/c the most common cause of this is overinflation. its not making a difference tho. the tires have 4500 miles on them, 4/32 in the middle and 6 or 7/32 on the edges. usually the middle four inches are affected. this has happened on three different sets of 3 of tires, each set a different brand. what is it...? alignment...? any input?
thanx
Bob

·
Now...Whitesupra94
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS. i have a mkiv NA auto...not peeling out of anything...I CANT! lol. i believe its mainly one wheel drive, the back right, no lsd..but both tires are wearing in the middle

bob

--Needs a sig--

N

·
0 Posts
the tire pressure isn't right in your tires, check it..
over inflated tires wear out inside.
under inflated tires wear out the outside walls

·
Very Senior Member
9,963 Posts
do you measure your tire pressure cold or hot.
if it's 31 psi cold, then it goes up several psi after driving a while.
And yes, wearing along the center of the tire indicates overinflation, nothing else I know of.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
Wearing in the center is an indication of too much tire pressure (check when hot as Vick suggested) and/or tires that are too wide for your rims causing them to balloon out.

The way to fix this in either case is to run lower tire pressure.

P

·
0 Posts
despite many recommendations of 32-34 psi in the tires, I too was getting more center tire wear than I wanted. Now I routinely keep about 28 lbs in the tires. No more problems, and traction is better (but watch those potholes or you'll be repairing rims!)

M

·
0 Posts
what ever you do dont go by the psi on the tire. go look on one of the door jams its probably the drivers door and there will be a sticker it will tell you the correct psi for your car.:)

·
Registered
410 Posts
It is normal for a wide tire mounted on the rear to wear in the center first, it's not perfectly flat and highway speeds tend to reduce contact on the outsides of the tire. If it is excessive you can play with the pressure a bit. I wouldn't compromise the handling by dropping too low. Swing by a tire shop and have them take a look, they can educate you further.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 97 NA, 5Sp with factory wheels and tire size. My problem is with wear in the inside edges of both rear tires. This is the third set. I have had the front and rear aligned first at a tire dealer and asked him to tweak the alignment a little to compensate for the wear. The result was the worst handling ever! Took it to the dealer and had it put back to factory specs and the handling is back to normal but the rear tires are about twice as worn on the inside as outside. I don't start particularly fast but it appears to be from the squat when I start. Now I'm reluctant to have someone vary the rear alignment. Mileage is 50,000.

Anybody have a suggestion on how much to adjust?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts