Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mobil 1 is nice but its nothing other than a synthetic gear oil. Any full syn. 75w90 should be fine.

E
Senior Lexus Tech.

·
1,005 Posts
^I've heard success stories with Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline. I don't believe it will have any negative effect on the tranny. What model year 911 Turbo do you have?

·
Custom User Title
974 Posts
You don't have a NAPA there? Napa should stock it, but if not they can certainly order it.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
You can pick that up at most auto parts stores (Advanced, Autozone) in small containers. I used it in my Supra's differential back in the day. For my Porsche I only use the recommended fluid for the transmission. I ended up buying at the dealer (Mobil 75w90 not factory recommendation for my transmission so you're lucky).

·
Registered
265 Posts
^I've heard success stories with Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Redline. I don't believe it will have any negative effect on the tranny. What model year 911 Turbo do you have?
I dont have one but I have worked on one. I just stated that because I know that Mobil 1 is nothing more than synthetic gear oil as opposed to our special V160 oil which I heard is actually dextron ATF.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If this was the case, then Toyota would bottle up ATF and sell it as Toyota Genuine Power Steering Fluid and mark it up to $50 a bottle.
It's just what I have heard. I still paid $40 a bottle for the real stuff just in case.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Okay, now we're getting somewhere. I thought you were asking about Mobil's standard gear oil which Delvac is not. I couldn't find it either and ended up buying the shell oil at the dealer. It was about $30/quart.

·
Registered
292 Posts
im very familiar like you with supra requirements, but, i just bought my first porsche (gt3) and have no clue yet other than oils what they require. i will check this thread for info if someone chimes in.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
2002 6 speed.
I still can't find any Delvac Mobil 1 75W-90.
Great, I just needed to know because it's always difficult to give proper advice without all the facts. To begin you won't find that product you want in the size you want at just any local parts store. It is safe to use a Redline synthetic of the same weight, shifts will probably be smoother for a while until the effect is gone; it will feel like the Mobil after a while. The way I was taught this is not recommended, only because I only find a lot of hearsay on the matter.

Hit up mcewens.com maybe they can help. I usually buy from lufteknic.com Try a local truck stop. Delvac is not very comparable to other Mobil products on shelves because they usually don't work for this car as recommended. Delvac is specific stuff.

For anyone reading-Do your front diff too because they should be changed before the tranny. Keep a habit of 8000mi or so between changes for the tranny. gt3 people need to deal with a cooler in their face so get directions to avoid making this more complicated than it is. Otherwise changing the oil for both is simple enough. Also 2001-2002 cars should be updated to the newer factory coolant while you are down there, so flush that coolant system if you live in a climate where even a small change is warranted.

- Your friendly supraforums highline motors scholar

1 - 16 of 16 Posts