Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new battery on my 1988 mk3 supra. I am looking for something on a budget what can last for a while. Not planning to use it everyday also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This isn't a "budget" battery, but I've used Interstate batteries for 25+ years and love them. When looking for a battery, or anything really, out of price, quality and long-term reliability, you can have two, but not all three. So if you want to pay less, you'll compromise on quality and/or the long-term reliability.

And if you're just driving the car every now and again, I'd recommend looking into a battery trickler; especially for the winter. That will keep your battery charged and will help it last longer. Having a battery drain repeatedly from just sitting there will wear it down and it'll lose it's ability to keep a charge; thats true for cheap and expensive batteries.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I use X2 batteries.
More important is the trickle charger.

Reactions: debrucer1

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
Duralast Gold or Interstate for me. Toyota Genuine batteries are very good as well.

Optimas are absolute trash.
If you need an AGM battery get a Duralast Platinum AGM or an Odyssey, they at least honor their warranties and work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're on a budget, you can't beat Walmart for batteries.

Edit: And plus 1 on getting a battery tender, it will help keep a battery alive much longer, especially in an occasionally driven car.
I've heard some nice things about them. what kind of like spec I should take

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've heard some nice things about them. what kind of like spec I should take
I don't recall which one I got, but it was a direct stock replacement. $49.88 of course that was 5 years ago, in sure it's gone up.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Been using the Costco batteries for a while. Most times when I need a replacement I bring the core in and end up paying hardly anything for a new battery.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
The Walmart’s Everstart battery I bought is made by Johnson Controls. Why pay extra for an interstate battery when it’s more than likely made by the same manufacturer.
Same for the Duralast Gold. I only go to Autozone because I've never had any BS from them on warranty returns - and I usually have points/free store credit to use as well.

An acquaintance in that industry tells me that about 95% of all consumer car batteries sold on this continent are made in just three different factories.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I've been getting batteries from Advance Auto inside been in Florida. Part number 24FFT-5. They last about 4 years like any other decent quality battery. One hack that I have done is to take some left over reflective windshield sun visor material and wrapped the side and back that face the engine as insulation from the heat. Seems to work.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Just curious, did these cars ever have battery "boxes" like I've seen on some cars? I could have sworn I've seen a Supra or two over the years that had a plastic shroud around the battery that looked OEM.

As for me, I also highly recommend a trickle charger. Do some homework on making batteries last, you'll find that just about anywhere you read is going to recommend a trickle charger for cars that don't get driven very often.

I've run parts store, Optima, CAT, Walmart, Odyssey, Panasonic, Interstate, Duralast, and Antigravity. Of all those, have had reasonable luck with old Optimas, though their reputation seems to have taken a hit. CAT, I'm a bit biased, as I work for a dealer, get a small discount, and they seem quite robust and the specs for the size / weight are pretty impressive. Odyssey is in my current daily driver, they seem to last forever from everything I've seen. The Antigravity is just super light for its output, which is important in the car I put it in, as every gram of weight matters for that thing.

I gotta say though, the batteries that have impressed me the most over the years have been the OEM Panasonic batteries that Mazdas were shipped with during the 90's and 2000's. Those things seemed to last SO long. Seriously, I think the OEM battery on my wife's 2006 Mazda3 finally called it quits in 2014, 2015 sometime? That's a long life for a car that spent most all of that time parked outside in a place that regularly sees -40° temperatures.

Back to the point though, trickle charger, get one. The choice of battery matters less than how you take care of it.

Reactions: debrucer1

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been using the Costco batteries for a while. Most times when I need a replacement I bring the core in and end up paying hardly anything for a new battery.
what kind, cuz you cant chose a battery for a car older then 2001 on their website

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Ahh, in Canada they use metric batteries.

Kidding aside, we need to find out what Group Number (34 is coming to my mind for some odd reason, but I haven't had a stock battery in a Supra in ages) that your car needs. Pretty simple to narrow it down from there.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Forgot to take a pic but I found one in my photos that shows the numbers on top. This is the one that I've been trading in and replacing at Costco, looks like a "35" maybe for the group number to add to what @te72 said

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
A quick search looks like either Group 24 or 35 should fit a Mk3. If in doubt, measure the HxWxL of the battery in the car.

Also, from the picture posted above, looks like that's a Group 35 battery, with 640 CCA, 800 CA, 100 Amp-hour capacity, and likely a part number of 8850242. I can't quite make out the first digit of the UPC, but it looks like ?56489 363206 to me. Hope that helps!

Reactions: Da Kine Guy
1 - 19 of 19 Posts