Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know about the faulty oil vapor problem of the 1jz, and there's a couple ways to avoid it, but I'm just going straight to catch can to get it out of the way. First of all, I was wondering if there was any recommended ones (Browsing ebay but they all seem to function the same :ugh2: ), and also wondering if there's any detailed instructions on how to hook it up. I constantly see threads with people hooking up the catch cans wrong and I only want to do it once and I want to do it right.

Sorry for the 2nd thread in a day, well sorta, I mean it is 2 AM... :ugh2: :ugh2:

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
I have an ebay one, and it works great. I had to modify the sight glass (actually rubber, not glass), but aside from that it works great. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
A buddy has been using a mt dew bottle and rubber hose for over a year now lol...

Anything works the same.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
Same exact one I have. I replaced that clear site glass with rubber hose as it leaked when I'd go in boost, and I replaced the white oil hose with better black rubber hose.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I have an Ebay catch can as well. I got mine in black. It is actually a pretty damn good catch can, and cheap as hell. I would highly recommend getting it.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
nice, i think thats the one im gonna get one i get my single.

~scott

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
I have a catch can installation question with from your pic there pituala. Do you think it's better to install the can where you did, connecting to the intake manifold, or on the other side of the valve covers, connecting to the intake piping.

I ask this because under vacuum, oil can be sucked into the intake manifold, but under boost (without a pcv valve), oil can be blown into the intake piping.

Edit: Here's a pic of what I did

The bracket I mounted the can to was just sitting there, even had the same thread as the bolts that came with the can.

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
annoyingrob said:
I have a catch can installation question with from your pic there pituala. Do you think it's better to install the can where you did, connecting to the intake manifold, or on the other side of the valve covers, connecting to the intake piping.

I ask this because under vacuum, oil can be sucked into the intake manifold, but under boost (without a pcv valve), oil can be blown into the intake piping.

Edit: Here's a pic of what I did

The bracket I mounted the can to was just sitting there, even had the same thread as the bolts that came with the can.
Well I did it the way you see in my pic because I upgraded to the 2JZ PCV valve as well, so mine doesn't have that problem, and I get absolutely no smoke at all.

·
Now with 0JZ
1,185 Posts
Yeah, I upgraded the to the 2JZ PCV valve as well. About 10 seconds after putting the can in I thought, "hey, I bet there's oil getting in the OTHER side". I may just rip it appart and redo it.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what is the proper way to install this. This is what I mean when there's no clear instruction. People that have already done it still can't figure it out.

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
before.......

after

so basicly all you do is remove that hose that goes from the intake pipe to the valve cover and replace it with the catch can and lines

ps. special thanks to paint, couldn't have done this without it :ugh2:

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:wtflol: thats it? Why do so many people have problems

I really need to sleep btw. I just read the 1jz section all the way to page 23 for about 2 hours :ugh2:

·
Poopra King
2,239 Posts
That's not how I have mine hooked up. I have my PCV hose going to the catch can, then the return line from the catch can going into the intake manifold where the original PCV hose went. No smoke and no problems at all.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts