Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any single turbo owners out there that meet this criteria:

Running a single turbo conversion on:

1) STOCK ECU

2) STOCK Motor or STOCK Motor with just Headwork (i.e. cams, cam gear(s), etc), but preferably, just the STOCK motor.

3) STOCK Airflow Meter

4) STOCK Intercooler or front mounted intercooler, but preferably, just the STOCK intercooler.

5) STOCK Automatic Transmission or Built Automatic Transmission, but preferably, just the STOCK auto trans.

6) Stock Fuel System (Stock Pump, Regulator, Rail, Injectors) or Modified Fuel System with Only Change Being Larger Injectors and/or Different Fuel Rail. But Preferably, just the STOCK fuel system.

How does your car run? Have you had any problems and what were your problems? Please share your experiences/advice because I am considering going single while using most of the stock equipment. I want to do a single while maximizing the use of stock equipment and minimizing the use of aftermarket equipment. Any experience/advice would be appreciated, I look forward to your responses.
 

·
I'm back!
Joined
·
6,712 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Are there any single turbo owners out there that meet this criteria:

Running a single turbo conversion on:

1) STOCK ECU

2) STOCK Motor or STOCK Motor with just Headwork (i.e. cams, cam gear(s), etc), but preferably, just the STOCK motor.

3) STOCK Airflow Meter

4) STOCK Intercooler or front mounted intercooler, but preferably, just the STOCK intercooler.

5) STOCK Automatic Transmission or Built Automatic Transmission, but preferably, just the STOCK auto trans.

6) Stock Fuel System (Stock Pump, Regulator, Rail, Injectors) or Modified Fuel System with Only Change Being Larger Injectors and/or Different Fuel Rail. But Preferably, just the STOCK fuel system.

How does your car run? Have you had any problems and what were your problems? Please share your experiences/advice because I am considering going single while using most of the stock equipment. I want to do a single while maximizing the use of stock equipment and minimizing the use of aftermarket equipment. Any experience/advice would be appreciated, I look forward to your responses.
I can tell you right now this setup is perfect for a 60mm or smaller turbo, like a 57mm. You can run those all day long with the stock maf, ecu, and intercooler.

Expect in the 450rwhp range, but without ditching that MAF you won't go much higher.
 

·
Very Senior Member
Joined
·
10,066 Posts
braddman said:
I can tell you right now this setup is perfect for a 60mm or smaller turbo, like a 57mm. You can run those all day long with the stock maf, ecu, and intercooler.

Expect in the 450rwhp range, but without ditching that MAF you won't go much higher.
That's about what I plan to do.
If I keep the stock auto tranny, 450 hp is enough anyway.



(I know, I know.......no amount is "enough", but it will just have to do!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Are there any single turbo owners out there that meet this criteria:

Running a single turbo conversion on:

1) STOCK ECU

2) STOCK Motor or STOCK Motor with just Headwork (i.e. cams, cam gear(s), etc), but preferably, just the STOCK motor.

3) STOCK Airflow Meter

4) STOCK Intercooler or front mounted intercooler, but preferably, just the STOCK intercooler.

5) STOCK Automatic Transmission or Built Automatic Transmission, but preferably, just the STOCK auto trans.

6) Stock Fuel System (Stock Pump, Regulator, Rail, Injectors) or Modified Fuel System with Only Change Being Larger Injectors and/or Different Fuel Rail. But Preferably, just the STOCK fuel system.

How does your car run? Have you had any problems and what were your problems? Please share your experiences/advice because I am considering going single while using most of the stock equipment. I want to do a single while maximizing the use of stock equipment and minimizing the use of aftermarket equipment. Any experience/advice would be appreciated, I look forward to your responses.
I'd say I fit the criteria dead on...

Stock Motor, ECU, Fuel System, Factory Auto with stock stall, factory sidemount, factory AFM....

Running with a wideband, and being rather gentle with the gas pedal (I run out of fuel at the top of 2nd at around 16lbs of boost), I've had no issues whatsoever, though I'm not beating the piss out of the car.....

By comparison, I'm running a BL71GTQ Setup, which is a great deal bigger than what would be considered a "fun" daily driver turbo on the stock tranny/stall. Personally, if your power goals aren't too rediculous, check into a cast manifold setup with a smaller turbo (SP/BL 57, 61, etc...) They'll spin up rediculously fast on the cast mani, and make for one hell of a fun car. Go with a larger turbo, and expect to replace the transmission sooner than later, along with a moderately higher stall with tranny cooler(s). At that point you'll be needing more fueling headroom, so the fuel system and proper control becomes a larger issue.

Best of luck! Don't fall into the "The 57/61's won't make enough power!" mindset... They'll push you forward pretty well, and spin up Very Fast... A local friend has an Induction Motorsports setup (cast manifold) with a BL67-P trim, and it spins up around 3800rpm on a 6-speed car... Makes for one hell of a ride... He's currently on a stock fuel system with Methanol injection, with a tuned Map-Ecu... Car runs brilliantly.

~Nick

DG7Dp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your reply Nick, what kinda of power are you making? I'm not in the "small turbos don't make enough power" mindset at all. In fact, I think they make plenty of power to be reliable and fun vs. many of the larger turbos. What do you mean you run out of fuel at the top of 2nd at 16psi boost? I'm not sure I understand what u mean here. What kind of power are you making on pump gas reliably, and at what boost? You don't have to give some high # to impress me, just be realistic, I'm not after unrealistically high hp #'s like many others, I want something fun, with decent power, and driveable and reliable, so what kinda power are u making on pump? At what boost?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
455 Posts
Any one run like a 70mm or bigger turbo on stock fuel for a long while..if so what were the problems you ran into keeping boost down etc etc???
 

·
TH400 Club
Joined
·
809 Posts
This is a very good thread. I too am going to be trying out a small single for my stock auto. I am glad I stumbled upon this thread. My question would be, with safc and vpc plus the small single(sp57) and manifold is 475 attainable?
 

·
BPU is so 1997
Joined
·
5,349 Posts
lhduce said:
Any one run like a 70mm or bigger turbo on stock fuel for a long while..if so what were the problems you ran into keeping boost down etc etc???
:stickpoke :wtflol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
I kind of fit the criteria. I have a sp57 6 speed, stock ecu, stock fuel, and i'm using a vpc/gcc combo for tuning. I'm only running 14 psi right now b/c i still have the stock ic, but i'[m still making 400 rwhp. I absolutly love the way the car drives. It is sooooo much more fun than the twins. Boost comes on early and is very very driveable. Someday I will put in a front mount and crank the boost up and run about 500 to the wheels, but I'm in no hurry. I think you would be very happy with a similar setup.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RCGsupra said:
I kind of fit the criteria. I have a sp57 6 speed, stock ecu, stock fuel, and i'm using a vpc/gcc combo for tuning. I'm only running 14 psi right now b/c i still have the stock ic, but i'[m still making 400 rwhp. I absolutly love the way the car drives. It is sooooo much more fun than the twins. Boost comes on early and is very very driveable. Someday I will put in a front mount and crank the boost up and run about 500 to the wheels, but I'm in no hurry. I think you would be very happy with a similar setup.



400rwhp? All I gotta say is :eek: :eek2:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
455 Posts
Hua said:
:stickpoke :wtflol:
Yeah some ppl run T78 or stock fuel...use the search button....But i have never heard of ppl running like T88 or T70...but i know they are out there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Thanks for your reply Nick, what kinda of power are you making? I'm not in the "small turbos don't make enough power" mindset at all. In fact, I think they make plenty of power to be reliable and fun vs. many of the larger turbos. What do you mean you run out of fuel at the top of 2nd at 16psi boost? I'm not sure I understand what u mean here. What kind of power are you making on pump gas reliably, and at what boost? You don't have to give some high # to impress me, just be realistic, I'm not after unrealistically high hp #'s like many others, I want something fun, with decent power, and driveable and reliable, so what kinda power are u making on pump? At what boost?

* Running out of fuel - My AFR starts to creep lean at the top of second - 11.7-11.8:1 I'm not in the mood to replace the motor, so I limit my pulls to 2nd gear (And usually not full throttle...)

As far as power, there's no way the car would like to be wrung out through 3rd on a dyno (nor will I allow that to happen), so the best I can do is reference on the stock turbos in TTC. At 15lbs of boost, on pump gas, the 71 pulls harder at half throttle than the stock twins did at ~21psi on Cam2. (My stock twins weren't weak, I was trapping 114-116 straight BPU on the factory auto, on 18" street tires spinning a good deal down the track.)

Where I verify the 71 vs stock statement... I trapped ~115mph last weekend after a 2.53 '60 (stock tranny, stock stall), and proceeded to run out 1st and most of second wot, and then half throttle through third, with my eyes glued to my wideband. Car ran very rich, and I wound up blowing off an intercooler pipe near the ~1000'... Coasted through for the 115mph trap speed. Make no mistake, the car is Very quick on the new turbo. It's not going to be "fun" until the supporting work is there (tranny/fuel/etc).

If I weren't power hungry, and just wanted a great street setup... Even a 67 on a cast manifold spins up VERY quickly by comparison to the larger turbos out there - even some smaller ones, on tubular manifolds. If you don't want to fool with entirely reworking your fuel system, you'll be limited to the much smaller side of things - but they'll be a blast on the street.

Follow the same guidelines as the road course guys, and you'll wind up with a Very fun car on the street. (Reasonable turbo, ~500rwhp, proper tune) It'll spin up fast, and be a blast to drive. As with all things, you can always go larger later. ;)

~Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
lhduce said:
Any one run like a 70mm or bigger turbo on stock fuel for a long while..if so what were the problems you ran into keeping boost down etc etc???

:sadwavey:

I've had a BL71GTQ setup 4"mid/down/hks ti setup on stock fuel for a little over 9 months... Absolutely no problems whatsoever. It's required one hell of a good chunk of self control to stay safe, and in no way, shape or form would I be doing so without my wideband. The only "issue"... In some forms, the car is a deal less fun to drive (As I can't blast through 3rd/od on the new turbo). The lag isn't an issue at all, the turbo's very smooth when it comes in. It's nearly on par with the stock twins in TTC. The power difference is a huge plus ;) . I'm in no way sorry for going with a larger turbo setup, as I'll have the supporting work on the car soon enough to truly be able to play. The stock stall is what's hitting me the hardest - It makes the car more of an on/off switch than it used to be. (Though I ran TTC for almost a year previously, it was great to go back to sequential occasionally for the low end torque.) Having to watch the wideband is a bit of a pita, but nothing I'm not willing to do should a wastegate line come loose (Though they're all hoseclamped... ;) )

Were I to do it again, I'd still go with the BL71 setup - It puts a smile on my face every time the wastegate opens. :bigthumb: I've had a great deal of time to get used to the delivery of TTC/Single, so I'm looking forward to bumping the boost up another 10-20lbs... ;)

~Nick
 

·
Im da TRAIN, u on da trax
Joined
·
666 Posts
i have a couple of questions regarding these types of set-ups

what is the limiting factor primarily? fuel? IC?

when running say a t67 or similar size(T78? ETC...)

What would be a priority on the upgrade list? FMIC? Fuel system?

i would figure once u have the single yurbo, next would be a FMIC, then upgrade the fuel

assuming u already have a boost controller and wideband
 
  • Like
Reactions: 98bpu

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I've got the SP58GT (61mm) kit on mine with stock trans, stall, IC, still got MAF and just a Profec B and exhaust being the other mods. It put down 484rwhp on 93octane pump gas, but was starting to get lean toward redline. Not lean enough to hurt anything though. The car is a total turd from a dead stop, so I'm in the process of installing a 3200 converter. It's getting a SAFC-2 and VPC, and FMIC soon too. Then a fuel system. I want to see how much this little turbo can make. If you want a single then I would definitely get a converter, the small singles are alot of fun and can make good power.
 

·
Im da TRAIN, u on da trax
Joined
·
666 Posts
im not too worried about stall converters, ive got a 6spd
i also forgot to mention that i already have a map ecu as well

just trying to figure out what the next logical step would be
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
455 Posts
Toro34 said:
i have a couple of questions regarding these types of set-ups

what is the limiting factor primarily? fuel? IC?

when running say a t67 or similar size(T78? ETC...)

What would be a priority on the upgrade list? FMIC? Fuel system?

i would figure once u have the single yurbo, next would be a FMIC, then upgrade the fuel

assuming u already have a boost controller and wideband
I would go FMIC then Fuel and Fuel Computer...Then your turbo setup...Dont forget clutch seems to be something alot of ppl leave out when going single...good luck
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
302 Posts
Hey,
I run a T60-1 60mm i think turbo on the T78 kit, i made 443 rwhp @ 18 psi through a high flow cat!!, stock MAF, stock IC, stock ECU, only a S-AFC and high flow cat/downpipe, I love the setup its so streetable and the lag isn't bad. I'm getting a FMIC soon, hope to show dyno numbers on that when i get it. I ran 12.7 @ 120 on my 18psi setup 93 occtane. hoping to be in the 122-124 range with a fmic and 94 octane on hopefully 19-20 psi. MAF is going to be the next thing go to after that hopefully! i love my car and I couldn't be happier!

-Brett
 

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
KevinB6876 said:
Are there any single turbo owners out there that meet this criteria:

Running a single turbo conversion on:

1) STOCK ECU

2) STOCK Motor or STOCK Motor with just Headwork (i.e. cams, cam gear(s), etc), but preferably, just the STOCK motor.

3) STOCK Airflow Meter

4) STOCK Intercooler or front mounted intercooler, but preferably, just the STOCK intercooler.

5) STOCK Automatic Transmission or Built Automatic Transmission, but preferably, just the STOCK auto trans.

6) Stock Fuel System (Stock Pump, Regulator, Rail, Injectors) or Modified Fuel System with Only Change Being Larger Injectors and/or Different Fuel Rail. But Preferably, just the STOCK fuel system.

How does your car run? Have you had any problems and what were your problems? Please share your experiences/advice because I am considering going single while using most of the stock equipment. I want to do a single while maximizing the use of stock equipment and minimizing the use of aftermarket equipment. Any experience/advice would be appreciated, I look forward to your responses.

what the hell is the point of a single???? turn up the boost on the stock twins. You seem to be attached to the stock parts, what is wrong with the stock twins??
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top