Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone beside SP had dyno that new SP58GT that suppost to substitute the SP57....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's an Excel spreadsheet/graph of my jalopy created with the raw data from the SP Mustang Dyno. Note that I've used splines for the graphs (the raw data is not quite as smooth).

The dashed blue line is boost, scaled to the right hand side. HP/TQ is scaled to the left hand side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't open it....what program did you do it in.?

Larry, Where the ones you said you were going to post.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Byron said:
I can't open it....what program did you do it in.?

Larry, Where the ones you said you were going to post.?
It opens with Microsoft Excel.

Eegads, 34psi! Was this just for the dyno or do you run that on the street? Are you happy with the spool?

Is this kit the same $$$ as the SP57, or is this one of the budget turbos?

·
Registered
27 Posts
ikeaboy said:
Eegads, 34psi! Was this just for the dyno or do you run that on the street?
That was to see how much headroom we had, under safely monitored conditions ... this particular car was not intended to do that on a regular basis, though it gives me the confidence to run it hard at lower boost levels.

ikeaboy said:
Are you happy with the spool?
To be honest I haven't had the chance to drive it, as it's been in the body shop since the Dynamic Duo (Max & Larry) applied their Mojo. However it does spool at a suitably low RPM, resulting in an additional 1100+RPM of usable power compared to the bigger turbo installed previously. I'm happy about that :)

BTW: max TQ/HP was 568/576 at 23psi, and 493/525 at 19psi. Both of the latter were not quite as finely tuned as the 667/645 run, and they both had the cat attached. The wee turbo holds boost perfectly stable at those more reasonable levels. The fluctuations around 31psi were somewhat expected, especially considering it was shoving air through a Greddy SMIC rather than a big FMIC.

Edit: Please note that this car has an upgraded fuel system and appropriate management electronics to hold everything together. Max and Larry put considerable effort into this one, so it's not just a "bolt it on and go" thing. The info given here is provided only to show what the SP58 can do; not what others should try themselves. Lastly, these runs were made on race gas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sounds really good...

But I want to hear or see dyno's from regular people that have gotten this turbo.

Larry.....where the dynos at man....

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Byron said:
sounds really good...

But I want to hear or see dyno's from regular people that have gotten this turbo.

Larry.....where the dynos at man....

Actually I contacted Kris and had him post that for me. That is the only 58 I have personally dynoed. Most of the turbos we install lately seem to be huge!!!

BTW, I have some new turbos coming out that will out spool the 58 at the sacrafice of a little top end. Full GT turbos, not just the wheels but the cartridges, and housings too!! These are a first!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, I have some new turbos coming out that will out spool the 58 at the sacrafice of a little top end. Full GT turbos, not just the wheels but the cartridges, and housings too!! These are a first!
Very interesting... What size do you think they will be? How much sacrifice would there be at the top end?
And when do you think you'll have them..?

I would not mind to sacrifice the top end a bit so that I can spool really quick...:D .... I don't race...I just drive my baby on a daily base so that sounds very nice....

Tell us more Larry...:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sound Performance said:
Actually I contacted Kris and had him post that for me. That is the only 58 I have personally dynoed. Most of the turbos we install lately seem to be huge!!!

How much more power will it make than a SP57? will it out spool SP57?

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
and I tried opening that file with excel and it wont open it.... can someone open it and post it ...

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
i have no excel.. doh.

Brett

·
Registered
27 Posts
I tried posting a png of the Excel graph yesterday, but it didn't show up in my version of IE (5.x) -- I'll upload it anyway. If it displays as a black area within this post, drag it (or save it) to your desktop and open it from there with something other than IE5 ...

[edited] Note that the raw data is visible only in the spreadsheet. Also note that the lower boost settings (23 & 19psi) show approximately the same characteristics up to 4000 rpm (spins up a little faster without the cat).

- Kris

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am very interested in these turbos as well, what are they, how will they spool and what power output at what boost can be expected?

:cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was never able to see that dyno chart...

So I guess not many people are running the small turbos anymore....

So the max that the SP58GT will hold is 34psi correct but that is not recomended.. How at what PSI would it put the 500RWHP that is limited by fuel and auto tranny....
and it will spool a little bit faster than the 57....
Is there anything else that I should note about the SP58GT.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ubermensch said:
He stated earlier that he made 493 hp 525 tq at 19 psi.
Those numbers should be swapped around: it was 493TQ & 525HP at 19psi. BTW, the TQ numbers would have happily topped 500 if the cat had been removed on that run.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 29 Posts