Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched a buttload of threads, but found little "tech" with regard to hammering in the inner fender on the back of the car. I am going with 11" wide wheels and 295/30 tires and can see the area that needs to be pushed in.

My question is... do I just get a rubber mallet and start wailing on it? Is there any technique that is appropriate? Is it really that simple?

Thanks,
Kev

·
Registered
594 Posts
here's a couple things...heat the fender up so the paint has a less chance of cracking when taking a mallet to it....also, have you tried the baseball bat method? using the baseball bat against the tire to bend the inner part of the fender? if not, you should do that first and then take a mallet to it if neccessary.

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
casper said:
here's a couple things...heat the fender up so the paint has a less chance of cracking when taking a mallet to it....also, have you tried the baseball bat method? using the baseball bat against the tire to bend the inner part of the fender? if not, you should do that first and then take a mallet to it if neccessary.
Actually I plan to cut the fender lip. I was asking about the inner part that will rub the inside of the tire/wheel. Thanks though. :)

·
11,219 Posts
I just ghetto rolled my rears. The paint chipped like a mofo, but it's only the inside of the fenders, so not a real *big* deal. I have a question, actually a few:

1. Do I just use the baseball bat to push the inside fender up? Or do I actually have to like curl it inward and up?

2. What about the fronts? Any way to modify them to prevent any rubbing with bigger tires or bad offsets?

H

·
0 Posts
Plenty of people with rollers, go ask if you can borrow! Nothing wrong with the bat method as it's the same priciple unless you are a 98lb. weakling.

·
11,219 Posts
Well here's some pics of rolled fenders; I guess doing this with a bat would be a bitch. This ain't my car. It's a Camaro, but you get the idea.

H

·
0 Posts
Oh shit, well yeah I don't think a bat could yield results like that!

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I read somewhere that a Dremel tool will get burned up cutting the fender lips... do I need to buy/borrow a grinder? What kind of disc would I need for a Dremel or grinder?

Also... what kind of hammer should I use? I'm assuming a rubber mallet is in order, but how big/heavy? Can I use my nail hanging hammer? :)

Thanks.

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay... I hammered away at the inner part of the fender that was rubbing the tire... part of it moved inward, but the frame rail didn't budge. Does that have to be pushed in, or just the fender material? I used a 27oz mallet and then tried a regular hammer.

Does anyone have pics of how it should look afterward? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
Somewhere I kind of remember seeing pics of the hammering results, but I can't find it. This may be no help but I thought of looking at AndiB's site but no pics either just this verbage:

"I had already modified the rear wheelwells to fit the 315 Pilot Sports -- I had the rear fender lips professionally removed, and slightly hammered in the frame rails in the lower front portions of the rear wheelwells where they were contacting the sidewalls. With the new 315 g-Forces, I had to get the mallet and do even more hammering on the insides of the rear wheelwells to get them to quit rubbing under hard cornering. Now all is good and they fit fine and don't rub. I also applied some rubber sealant over the small area of the frame rails/wheelwells that had been rubbed/hammered so as to prevent rust."

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nick 95 6sp said:
Somewhere I kind of remember seeing pics of the hammering results, but I can't find it. This may be no help but I thought of looking at AndiB's site but no pics either just this verbage:

"I had already modified the rear wheelwells to fit the 315 Pilot Sports -- I had the rear fender lips professionally removed, and slightly hammered in the frame rails in the lower front portions of the rear wheelwells where they were contacting the sidewalls. With the new 315 g-Forces, I had to get the mallet and do even more hammering on the insides of the rear wheelwells to get them to quit rubbing under hard cornering. Now all is good and they fit fine and don't rub. I also applied some rubber sealant over the small area of the frame rails/wheelwells that had been rubbed/hammered so as to prevent rust."
Thanks. Yea, I scoured his website before attempting it and that was all I could find. Short of using a sledgehammer, I don't know how I could bend those rails. I also don't want to screw up the frame as I race this car.

Thanks,
Kev

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
michaelvanle said:
Any pictures of your progress man? I should have used a stupid rubber mallet :/
No, didn't have time... I did it while flushing the brakes in prep for an autoX the next day. I really don't think it is much different... maybe I'll PM this thread to Andi.

·
11,219 Posts
Well any pictures of what your fenders look like now? I just wonder how much hammering and bending I should do to actually consider the fenders "rolled".

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
If you're talking about the inner fenderwell near the frame rail where the inner sidewall occasionally rubs...... a rubber mallett won't do it.... a hard metal hammer will..... after hundreds of hard hammerings..... you may get a little bit of indentation. it's the frame rail so it's very tough.

I don't think I have any pics.

Andi

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
michaelvanle said:
Well any pictures of what your fenders look like now? I just wonder how much hammering and bending I should do to actually consider the fenders "rolled".
Oh, I'm not talking about the outer fender lips... I still have to either roll or cut those. I'm talking about the inner fender where it rubs on the inner sidewall of my 295/30 tires. :) I plan to do another test fit this weekend so I'll snap some pics then, but I re-sprayed it with undercoating bcz of some chipping caused by my hammering so it may not look different.

·
Undefinable
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Andi said:
If you're talking about the inner fenderwell near the frame rail where the inner sidewall occasionally rubs...... a rubber mallett won't do it.... a hard metal hammer will..... after hundreds of hard hammerings..... you may get a little bit of indentation. it's the frame rail so it's very tough.

I don't think I have any pics.

Andi
Thanks Andi. I switched to a metal "regular" hammer and still didn't see any real results. I was also weary of causing alignment issues by bending that part of the frame.

I had the car on jack stands before... maybe I'll try it on a lift so I can get in some good overhead swings! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts