Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, getting interested in the 4th generation Supras, and I'm wondering if I can mine the collective's wisdom regarding this: Are there any specific problems I should watch out for before purchasing a normally aspirated Supra? :sadwavey:

Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
827 Posts
not really, you dont have to worry about bad turbo's. just test drive the car and ask the owner how long he's had the car and run a carfax report on it. most importantly, just listen to the car. if it sounds like crap then stay away. good luck!!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I would say check the suspension, Front lower bushings usually start to go bad around 100K. Also the rear wheel bearings about the same mileage. Its kinda easy to check the front control arm bushings just drive the car in reverse in a parking lot and tap the brake pedal. If you hear a small clunk every time you tap the brakes then the lowers are usually gone. To check the rear bearing is a little harder. If it is totally gone then you will hear a howling or grinding sound when driving. If you are uncomfortable with doing this then Just get the suspension inspected by a shop before buying the car.

Lawrence

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
93 twintrbo said:
I would say check the suspension, Front lower bushings usually start to go bad around 100K. Also the rear wheel bearings about the same mileage. Its kinda easy to check the front control arm bushings just drive the car in reverse in a parking lot and tap the brake pedal. If you hear a small clunk every time you tap the brakes then the lowers are usually gone. To check the rear bearing is a little harder. If it is totally gone then you will hear a howling or grinding sound when driving. If you are uncomfortable with doing this then Just get the suspension inspected by a shop before buying the car.

Lawrence
yup i got that clunk... ill prob be replacing my lower bushings soon, might as well do both sides even if only one is bad, because the other side will need it done sooner or later.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if u search someone posted what somke to watch out for on start up and stuff, im not to sure the colors tho

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow people....this has been explained many times before. Theres a huge write-up on it actually. :die: . Please refer to the search button it CAN really help.

-Dino

·
I-Am The Difference
796 Posts
Clunk here, it was my motor mount, and IMO I think the CT-26 turbos arent to great. I blew my first turbo with 40k on th car :( go single if ya buy one. Less BS to deal with LOL

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
ToySupraVS said:
Clunk here, it was my motor mount, and IMO I think the CT-26 turbos arent to great. I blew my first turbo with 40k on th car :( go single if ya buy one. Less BS to deal with LOL
dont mk4s have ct12s isnt the ct-26 from the mk3

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
ToySupraVS said:
There's plenty of BS with a single too. Just different kinds of bs.

But with regards to the turbo system itself, yeah single is less bs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts