Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was some talk at one point, but has there been any successful 6R80 swaps into a MKIV yet? We know the stock 6R80 can handle plenty of power, the mustang guys see plenty of 10 sec passes and even some into the 9s.

We know the tunnel will need a massage, we know there's the electronic control aspect to deal with. So....anyone?

Casey

·
Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Biggest holdup I can think of is simply getting the trans control sorted out on most of the common EMS options for the Supra. Several newer entries into the market can hypothetically handle it, but thus far I haven't heard of it being paired with a JZ engine, in a Supra or not.

Personally I'm a bit more interested in an MT-82 conversion, being a Getrag and all :)

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wondering if any aftermarket controllers have been released yet that can control it separate from a standalone.

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HotSoup..Like what? Were you the one trying to go this route?

I thought the MT82 was plagued with issues?

·
Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
HotSoup..Like what? Were you the one trying to go this route?

I thought the MT82 was plagued with issues?
Most of it seems to be in the stock shifter & stock clutch design. With a McLeod RXT twin disc and a good aftermarket shifter tripod it's surprisingly good. Pops 5th gear with lots of power but that tends to be at 900-1000+hp levels with lots of torque. I doubt a 2JZ would hurt it as much as some of the twin turbo Coyote 5.0 setups can.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Wreckless, as you know I have a ton off tt coyote platform knowledge as thats mostly what we work on. The mt-82 is a great trans with slave cylinder issues being the culprit along with the stock clutch. We went 9's easily with the setup with nothing more than a rxt and brass sliders.

The 6r80 we just do a circle d triple on 90% of the cars. If they want big power they get a clutch kit and upgraded input shaft...nothing more. Its just a big damn trans...think square peg in round hole to make it fit the supra.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
I thought about it. I would love to have a 4 power gears paired with low rear gear for some roll racing and half mile racing, but the 4th gear of 1.14 makes the ratio the same as the a340e with the 3.76.

·
Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Wreckless, as you know I have a ton off tt coyote platform knowledge as thats mostly what we work on. The mt-82 is a great trans with slave cylinder issues being the culprit along with the stock clutch. We went 9's easily with the setup with nothing more than a rxt and brass sliders.

The 6r80 we just do a circle d triple on 90% of the cars. If they want big power they get a clutch kit and upgraded input shaft...nothing more. Its just a big damn trans...think square peg in round hole to make it fit the supra.
Indeed - the way these Coyotes respond to boost has me seriously tempted by the dark side. Our widebody 6MT Coyote here in ABQ is a hell of a lot of fun on the street. While it's a bit clunkier than a Supra, it has basically no lag and hooks surprisingly well on the street! Though it was spinning it's ass off on the fried RS3's on the booth-candy wheels it was wearing at SEMA. Got a bit sloppy on the street when I was taking BlkTurbo aka Sean for a spin on Friday night around Vegas :)

But yes, the 6R80 is a big fat bitch. I know. It'd be cool to figure out how to make it fit well, regardless.

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But yes, the 6R80 is a big fat bitch. I know. It'd be cool to figure out how to make it fit well, regardless.
What if fitment isn't the issue, how do we move forward. I am interested in hearing about the transmission controllers. I must be looking in the wrong spots because I've only seen "in the works" stuff at the moment. I'm would seriously considering letting my 33k mile V160 and new RPS carbon/carbon go to do this...

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
As you can see its a monster compared to the th400. You can also see how big the bell is and how it cannot be cut off like the 400 because of the design. It would probably take a custom tunnel to get it to work unfortunately.

·
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know what your talking about, all I see is a mini submarine...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Trans weighs 215lbs.......Bringing this one from the Dead.

I've been researching this trans and it has already gone 7's in a 3800lb Mustang with upgraded input shaft,upgraded exedy clutch packs and torque converter

·
Registered
82 Posts
PHR is releasing a kit for this... any more news - I can't find anyone running a 6R80. Also see a quicktime bell housing but PHR is making a billet bell with their kit, not sure why.

either way I am very excited for this kit.

·
Kappa Check 1 2
669 Posts
The owner of the car that PHR used to develop the 6R80 kit has a few videos up on facebook driving it around and giving his thoughts, not sure how to link it here though.

Very cool option to have, IMO. We'll see how it all pans out when a few buy the kit and post up.

-Rich

1 - 20 of 30 Posts