Supra Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
JetFire
5,351 Posts
Subscribed, I'm good with my V160 setup in the Supra but thinking of another build in the future with a SC or GS chassis using the 6R80.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I did this about a year or so ago with an older (pre-2011) transmission. Controlling the transmission is not hard, take the TCU out and rip the guts out, then jump the pins from the plug to their respective solenoid pins by soldering wires. Now you have the ability to run an external transmission controller or an ECU capable of doing it. Make sure you take Notes as you do this otherwise you might run into issues if you cant figure out your work.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I did this about a year or so ago with an older (pre-2011) transmission. Controlling the transmission is not hard, take the TCU out and rip the guts out, then jump the pins from the plug to their respective solenoid pins by soldering wires. Now you have the ability to run an external transmission controller or an ECU capable of doing it. Make sure you take Notes as you do this otherwise you might run into issues if you cant figure out your work.
Can you elaborate more? Are the solenoids not PWM instead of just on/off?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sounds cool and all, but... isn't this is still a $7K swap with all the required parts and mods? Might as well get the T-56F.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds cool and all, but... isn't this is still a $7K swap with all the required parts and mods? Might as well get the T-56F.
About the only thing that the T56 has in common with the 6R80 is they both have 6 forward gears and a reverse gear.

T56 is a great trans if you want to go manual. But that's a completely different conversation altogether - auto vs manual for your swap, and that has to do with your goals for the car. To that end, I was torn between going faceplated T56, HGT dog box, or built auto. Goals: fastest shifts as reasonably possible, bulletproof box, streetable, NVH acceptable for long drives, not requiring annual teardown for general street/track use, able to handle the drag strip, road course, and street driving, able to hand the keys to others to drive.

HGT was cost prohibitive at ~$13K+ and the dogs will wear if improperly shifted, and having to teach people to bang gears every time you want to let them have a go could get old.

T56 with the faceplating drives the cost up and encounters the potential for frequent dog wear check/replacement intervals.

With any manual swaps you have to find a clutch which suits your needs and that drives costs up in addition to the swap price.

You can't really beat an auto for quick consistent shifts, and drivability. At the price point the 6R80 ticked all the boxes and offered the most value for performance. Clutch packs are a few hundred dollars, and have been proven to last seasons of abuse in extremely fast cars. Plenty of people using the 6R80 on the road course in their mustangs also, of course stall speed and lockup strategy will determine the heat produced.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Built the trans with a PBH friction and steel kit and billet steel intermediate shaft. Changed all seals and bushes. PHR bellhousing fits perfectly as do the provided brackets that mount to the oil pan.
Rest of the kit should be ready to ship in the next month or so.

·
Swole
380 Posts
I wish I had this trans in my car changing gears manually is so old school tech and up sets the car just think how much faster the same car would be with this auto trans - never blow off bost in between shifts would be great also at 900hp and above you want both hands on the steering wheel !

41 - 51 of 51 Posts