Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
RoastBeefCurtain Commando
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM heading to the track on Friday for my first outing on the new set up. I would guess Im in the 400whp range right now on low boost. I wanna see where I sit as a baseline.. I figured I might as well make some use of the ET streets I have.

Any tips on tire pressure and launch rpm with that kinda low power levels?
I have like no experience racing RWD at the track yet. I was a FWD guy before. Also I wont have the skinnies on in time to run this weekend.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
That is kind of a skinny tire for a 16X9 rim.

If you have never drag raced a RWD car, might want to find a deserted stretch of road to get used to the ET Streets. You might not have to go lower than 20 psi. The lower you go, the more squirrely it will feel on the top end with radials on the front.

Good luck!

Al

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
10.5 too skinny for a 9 inch wide wheel? The tire manufacturers say not really to go over 1.5 inches over the wheel width. I thought the people having more of the sway problems were on 8 inch wide wheels? So I went with something wider thinking it was safer.
How are these things on the street? Im kinda scared to run them on the street.

How do those firestones hold up with ET's in the back? Maybe Ill just grab a set from Pepboys and get some spacers to put my Welds on up front

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Yeah, I checked, 9" is the recommended rim for that tire. I thought it would be 8" cause the tread width is only 8.4".

Actually, one time I borrowed a set of ET Streets - 26X11.5X16's, squeezed on a skinny 16X7 rim! They had very little sway cause the sidewall was pulled so tight! The rim was too small and not all the tire touched the road. When I put the same size tire on the correct 16X9 rim they had a LOT more sway.

If you have Firestones, put them on the front, then no worries, you can run 13-15 psi in the slicks.

Al

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So even though the firestones are treaded, they should do better then the regular street tires I run on the street?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i run 26x11.5 16 on stock rx7 wheels with 470 whp (disclaimer this is a rx7) i run 20psi in the tires for street driving and at the track its 18psi and under! i highly recomend driving around on them before going to the track so you can get use to the way the car acts

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the info. How is it driving with these things on the street? Maybe Ill just drive to the track with them. but its alot of backroads. Last thing I want is for these things to roll over in a turn. lol Thats why I havent even tried them on the street yet

·
Registered
68 Posts
its pretty much smooth straight road for me, but i know guys that drive on them alot and as long as you are not trying to take corners fast they should be fine! make sure they have alot of air in them for street driving

·
Registered
191 Posts
Been runing ET's (26 11.5 16 on rx7 wheel) watch the pressure 20# is just
to low for every day driving. I have a tire pump that plugs into the lighter and pump them up to come home from the strip. I like 30#. Have SO-3's on the front do the ever move around at hight speed. I run 45# in the front at the strip.

Try a couple of short pass befor you go for it.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
on et streets i was doing 40psi up front and 16-18 in the rear (depending on track condidtions)... if you go on summit, theres a nifty little guy called a "tire pressure equalizer" that i would suggest

it just connects to botch tires and equalizes the pressure

start with high psi in your tire... like 22, and drop down by 2 psi increments until you get good traction... when you get there, try adding a psi and see if ittl still stick.... you want as much tire pressure as possible (while still maintaining traction)

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I didnt get a chance to throw them on and mess on the street with them tonight. So I guess Im gonna run my street tires tommorow. Sucks. But they actually hook ok. Spent too much damn time trying to figure out a lean spot and getting my boost to hold solid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
im running 26x11.5x16 et streets on an 8.5 inch rim with 480whp. i start at 16psi, and usually the pressure goes up after the first burnout/pass from the heat of the burnout to around 18psi, so i drop it back down, and then leave it alone at 16, unless the track is crappy. this is on a z32 300zx tho.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
PM-Performance said:
Thanks for the info guys. I didnt get a chance to throw them on and mess on the street with them tonight. So I guess Im gonna run my street tires tommorow. Sucks. But they actually hook ok. Spent too much damn time trying to figure out a lean spot and getting my boost to hold solid.
Damn, after all this you are not going to even run them! :rolleyes: You still have today to try them - drive to the track on them! Street tires will not hook, dont kid yourself.

Al

·
6,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didnt get a chance to throw them on and kinda have that scared feeling in the back of my head to run them without skinnies from all the stories I hear. I shoulda just threw them in the trunk and ran em, but screw it. Ill mess with them on the street this weekend to get a feel for them.
I was just tossing up if I should get baseline runs on my street tires or the ET streets. so I wanted to get a heads up on technique in case I used them tonight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You will be fine running them w/o skinnies. I had those tires on my DAILY driven auto supra with stock rims up top. The only time it ever felt shakey was when i drove on very unevenly paved streets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts