Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my car done and I will be at the strip this weekend on 33psi making 825 ish to the wheels. I have the 28" Hoosier Slicks and have the anti-lag set up on 15 psi and around 5800? I am not sure how the track will hook so I am not going all out first pass but wondering is this too low for my two step and also is 15 psi enough? I am still on stock driveshaft and rear but will not be going for 1.3 60 ft's. I will be slipping my RPS Carbon/ Carbon. Any advice would be appreciated from ppl that ran on 28" slicks.

Thanks,
Staats

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I ran 28" mickey thompson et drags for a short while. I tried to slip out of the whole to not brake anything and the best I could do was a high 1.7 60'. I then got fed up after getting pulled by the big V8 cars and started pretty much dumping the clutch @7k rpms. Seams like the harder I tried to brake the car, the better 60' it pulled. I got it down to a 1.5 after a cupple of tries. This was on stock rear and driveshaft and HP feramic clutch. I would like to also hear others experiences as I may have been doing it wrong.

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I've never tried the Hoosier 28, but chances are if you're trying to leave on the antilag you'll probably need more than 15psi of boost, we generally leave with 32 lbs.

I'd start around 11.5 lbs. of air in the tires and work your way down from there. It's all a combination of tire pressure, rpm, and boost to get to the good 60 fts.

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
I'd start around 11.5 lbs. of air in the tires and work your way down from there. It's all a combination of tire pressure, rpm, and boost to get to the good 60 fts.
Wow, that is low! Any problems with stability up top running pressure that low?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cody,

I am not sure how much the track will hold. Its only been open a couple times since the opening and its does not have a lot of rubber laid down right now. I will turn the boost up but last time I was down there cars were laying rubber and I do not want to hop out of the hole. Do you think the rev limit is set too low or is 5800 right on. This should work out a lot better than free reving the motor with no boost.

Staats

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have cut 1.45 with the 28 slick from m/t left a 7000rpm with the two step at 6-7psi slipping the tilton. I just put on the et drag tonight thats 28x12.5x15 and its a little taller but still 10" wide, going to the track next week to try them out. I would not go lower the 13 psi cold to start and you will find that 14 hot is stable any lower your in for a good ride, keep us posted!

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
I've never tried the Hoosier 28, but chances are if you're trying to leave on the antilag you'll probably need more than 15psi of boost, we generally leave with 32 lbs.

Damn! how do you make 32lbs with antilag? what rpm?

mine is now at 5500rpm and makes about 15psi.

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
The stock driveshaft and rear end aren't gonna last long if you're going for 1.3s. Basically what Cody said is right on the money, you need to leave with more boost and drop your tire pressure. I run the 76GTS also and leave at 5900 rpm with 30 psi and usually run around 11.25 psi in the tires. I usually 60ft between 1.37-1.42 on good tracks...on shitty tracks i'll turn the boost down in the top of 1st gear and run high 1.4s low 1.5s.

-Darin

·
Registered
721 Posts
Great info. On a 28inch tire do these speeds look correct if i were to shift at 8500rpm on a stock 6 speed.

1st - 59mph
2nd- 96mph
3rd- 134mph
4th- 172mph
5th- 226mph
6th- 285mph

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. I will keep the boost around 15 psi for the first pass and keep turning it up. Its a track rental so I do not need to work about not getting enough passes in. I plan to upgrade the driveshaft and rear over the summer. Hopefully you see some 9.9's this weekend.

Staats

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Wow, that is low! Any problems with stability up top running pressure that low?
Yes and no, just depends on how you're setting up the tune for the big end of the track......with or without nitrous, boost levels, suspension, etc.

Ryan normally runs 10-10.5 in his slicks.........

It also depends on what 28" you run.......If I'm running the 11.50's I run a little more pressure because the car will still 60ft. good due to the larger tire size. On the 10.5 S's we'll go down to 10psi.

Next we're going to test the 29.5x10.5x15's :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes and no, just depends on how you're setting up the tune for the big end of the track......with or without nitrous, boost levels, suspension, etc.

Ryan normally runs 10-10.5 in his slicks.........

It also depends on what 28" you run.......If I'm running the 11.50's I run a little more pressure because the car will still 60ft. good due to the larger tire size. On the 10.5 S's we'll go down to 10psi.

Next we're going to test the 29.5x10.5x15's :)

Cody are you running slicks with tubes to stiffen the sidewall a bit or running a ET SLICK DRAG RADIAL (not street). 11psi would be scary and I really don't want to do the "slick dance" so I am looking at the ET DRAG RADIALS sine our cars are so heavy and it being a 6spd to keep it steady up top and in between shifts.

I noticed that MT doesn't make a 28" ET SLICK DRAG RADIAL for 10.0 - 11.5 on a 15" rim. I wish they did. If you are using a Slick drag radial, which brand are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Cody are you running slicks with tubes to stiffen the sidewall a bit or running a ET SLICK DRAG RADIAL (not street). 11psi would be scary and I really don't want to do the "slick dance" so I am looking at the ET DRAG RADIALS sine our cars are so heavy and it being a 6spd to keep it steady up top and in between shifts.

I noticed that MT doesn't make a 28" ET SLICK DRAG RADIAL for 10.0 - 11.5 on a 15" rim. I wish they did. If you are using a Slick drag radial, which brand are you using?
I'm running tubes to see how they work. I imagine they'll give more stability on the big end. I know Larry and Kean have ran them for a while now........

Ryan and I did some testing with the ET Street 325/50/25 radial last year and we just couldn't get them to work with a 6 speed car.

The new tire I'm testing is the ET Drag, it's the same tire Kean put on his white car. We'll see how it goes, I'm going to finish fitting it this weekend.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Ryan and I did some testing with the ET Street 325/50/25 radial last year and we just couldn't get them to work with a 6 speed car.

What problems did you run into with this tire? I run it and seems to hold the power on the street, but I'm also only doing 1.7s 60 fts at the track.

Good info! Thanks for posting up. You've got more experience then most.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
What problems did you run into with this tire? I run it and seems to hold the power on the street, but I'm also only doing 1.7s 60 fts at the track.

Good info! Thanks for posting up. You've got more experience then most.
Oh the tire DEFINITELY works on the street, we roll it around all the time out here on the highways. At the track, we couldn't get anything better than a 1.58 60 ft out of it and then when the real power would come on in 2nd/3rd gear the tire wouldn't hook. We also found tons of wheel hop with the radial, which broke Ryan's rear end.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
Oh the tire DEFINITELY works on the street, we roll it around all the time out here on the highways. At the track, we couldn't get anything better than a 1.58 60 ft out of it and then when the real power would come on in 2nd/3rd gear the tire wouldn't hook. We also found tons of wheel hop with the radial, which broke Ryan's rear end.
Run a solid diff mount? That cured all my wheel hop.

Thanks for the info. I rarely goto the track but play alot on the street. Sounds like a winner of a tire for my purposes.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
I never had solid mounts on anything, tranny, motor or rear end. My car only hopped on those DR's. It was nasty. They work on the street but not on the track in a 6spd car. But that's also at 1300rwhp+ that we were trying them at. I'm sure those DR's might work for a lot of you guys making 700-900rwhp

I run 10-10.5psi in my 10.5 ET Drags. Sometimes it goes straight and sometimes it doesn't. If you aren't comfortable getting sideways at 150+ then lift early:)

Lower RPM launches will save parts. I used to leave at 5000rpm on my 3.4L and 30psi boost on the antilag. Pretty much never broke anything except when the diff case broke and fell out of the car. And yes, I said 5000rpm:) 3.4L, 88mm Turbo.

28's work well. 26's work too though. It's all in the setup.

My other tip is don't yank the wheel on shifts. I've seen MANY people do this and it is not good. One other thing too. If your car scares you at big power on slicks then run it at low boost until you're comfortable. You should never try and drive a car that scares you. The car will win:)

Or you can take the tip "Shut up, get in, get down and hold on". I like that one. I never had time to drift at events so I usually try and combine that with my Drag passes.

·
T-Power
1,625 Posts
-17 degrees of timing on the 2 step........

try this........

5800 fuel cut
5600 ignition cut
5400 retard rev

I'm sure a T88H will make WAY more than 15psi with these settings :)
THANKS Cody... I will give it a try

John

·
Tom Henderson
1,237 Posts
Or you can take the tip "Shut up, get in, get down and hold on". I like that one. I never had time to drift at events so I usually try and combine that with my Drag passes.
HAHA at the drifting part:love:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts