Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my stock hood with another stocker. Looks to be a simple, quick project. But, I thought I'd ask if anyone had run into any problems or wants to offer tips / warnings.

·
Flush 19" wheel club
535 Posts
* First pull off the small sprayer hoses.
* Line both sharp ends at the back of the hood between fenders, with soft towels.
* Use another person to hold the hood steady on the opposite side while you're unscrewing.
* When installing the hood, line it up on all sides while also making sure it shuts properly before tightening.
* Re-attach sprayer hoses

All in all it's not difficult, just don't rush and be careful.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
::swedemix:: --
Yeah, I knew this would have to be a two person job. Using towels is another good idea. Don't want to start out with a new scratch, ding, or chip.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey,
I just thought about something. Does anyone know how to get a replacement VIN sticker for the one that is on the underside of the hood?

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
Dale Talbert said:
Hey,
I just thought about something. Does anyone know how to get a replacement VIN sticker for the one that is on the underside of the hood?
Unless you are authorized shop that repairs "lemons",shop that repairs brand new untitled cars that come from port damaged during shipping , you cannot get VIN stickers.
There is a shop around the corner from mine that does that.

H

·
0 Posts
sell it and get a nicer hood of course! no jsut be carful and dont chip the paint.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
As mentioned, remove the spray hoses from the nozzles first. Then use tape or towels on the windshield at the corners of the hood so that you dont crack the glass if it slips (which can happen in a heartbeat - crack).

Now, loosen or remove 1 hood bolt on each side while the hood prop is being used. This will eliminate half the job right there. Then only loosen the other 2 bolts...BUT only enough to crack them a tiny bit loose, but so that they still hold the hood.

At this point, you want the hood off of the hood prop (so you dont get stuck fighting it once the bolts are removed):
Use your shoulder to support the weight of the hood....while using that hand to cup the very corner of the hood so that it's impossible to slip and crack the windshield, or chip the fender.
And with your other arm, use the wrench to remove the remaining bolt. Have your friend do the same, and the hood will lift and lay on each of your shoulders untill you grab a different hold.

If you dont know what you're doing, then the hardest part of the job is removing the spray nozzles, lol.

oops...you probably already have the hood off by now...? :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks blkturbo.
No, I didn't get around to it this weekend. Too much basketball to watch. Maybe next weekend. I think all the games are at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts