Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a few of my buddies were just out to an empty parking lot doing some burnouts and chilling. Anyways, I did a "normal" burnout. I tried to shift into 2nd and continue the burnout, but as I press the clutch in to shift to 2nd, the burnout stops (I guess cause I pressed in the clutch).

Now is there any trick to transition from 1st to 2nd gear so the burnout still continues?

http://home.comcast.net/~michaelvanle/burnout1.mpg

·
Hardtopper
252 Posts
You must be taking toooo long to shift from 1st to 2nd!!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Be careful!

I was doing 2nd gear burnouts ( no line lock) and my clutch welded to my flywheel. So my lesson is with the big brakes in back and the heat that it was creating was too much heat. My lesson is I bought a line lock and will only do 1st gear burnouts.

Staats

·
Registered
769 Posts
Jstaats, since you have a line lock, why not try it in second? You're not using the rear brakes, so there shouldn't be any adverse effects, aside from a big smoke show and more tire wear.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
We will see I have a different setup this year. Last year I was BPU and trying to hold the brakes and when boost came up I always hit the rev limiter for a few seconds and supposely that pulls timing. I will see how first gear is with the 76 GTS and if I have to do a 2nd gear burnout.

Staats

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
drift tt 23 said:
dont use the clutch.power shift that thing
Is there a trick behind this; ie. how can you shift without the clutch?

I thought powershifting if when you shift but without letting off the gas.

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
I go from first to second in burnouts and i'm able to get the rpms back to redline no line lock

i'm at about 310-320 rwhp? on 275/30/19 bridgestone potenza s0-3

·
Registered
422 Posts
Jstaats said:
We will see I have a different setup this year. Last year I was BPU and trying to hold the brakes and when boost came up I always hit the rev limiter for a few seconds and supposely that pulls timing. I will see how first gear is with the 76 GTS and if I have to do a 2nd gear burnout.

Staats

Your going to need a 2nd gear burnout. What your after is wheel speed. If you have a 2step just bring the car up on the 2step and build some boost and dump the clutch. You'll burn the shit out of the tires in 2nd!!!!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
so you have a single turbo supra and dont know how to spinn from first to second....

also this bs about being only bpu.... if you know what your doing a bpu car will spinn as far as you want in a auto and a 6 speed... Hell that house i broke my auto, beer, enpty parking lot, speedlimitor in a auto setting still is NOT good on parts :)

S

·
0 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Is there a trick behind this; ie. how can you shift without the clutch?

I thought powershifting if when you shift but without letting off the gas.
Damnit, I need to teach yet another person how to powershift a synchromesh transmission? Go read howstuffworks.com and come back... Read about synocromesh transmissions, especially the rods and the syncro gears.

All you need to do to powershift, is quickly shift from 1st to 2nd, and never touch the clutch. It is easy. You may grind the first time or two, but after that, should be smooth and silky, like butter...or pussy. =)

Example: Take car out, rev 1st gear up to 6-7k ish. Shift normally with the clutch. Note the RPM's the car is in right after you depress the clutch. About 2k less or more? Somewhere in there? So now, you know when you shift, you know the correct shift RPM between 1st and 2nd. So now, go back to a stop. Rev 1st gear out to 6-7k and now shift by doing this simultaneously -> briefly let off gas just enough to get the clutch pressure plate to disengage the flywheel. Seriously, if you just lift the throttle about 20%, and move the shifter to neutral. no clutch needed. At the exact time you are going into neutral, the cars RPM will be dropping slightly, because your foot is being raised ever so slightly. As you crunch 2nd gear (slide it in perfectly. Don't force it or else *grrrrind*) floor it right as the syncros are meshing. Boost should never drop, you should stay pinned to the seat. You hardly move your foot, but it does effect the pressure plate. This way, you stay ON the gas, but you do utilize the gas to actuate the pressure plate.

Edit: Cliffs Notes: Simultaneously lift gas mildly (while still throttling), shift from 1st to neutral and directly into second. The brief 1/4 second you are in neutral, the RPM's will slightly drop (cuz your foot moved just enough off the gas) and as it does, you jam second gear and floor it. Be careful, this is an easy way to destroy your trans. Practice at lower RPM's first. Maybe try powershifting from 5k->3kish. Whatever the natural shift points are.

I've never been in a high HP manual car (I'm a wuss and drive autos), but I have driven SS camaros 6spd, and my daily driver is a 5speed Honda. I can powershift stock SS camaros from any RPM level in any gear, and I can powershift my 1988 Honda beater all day as well. Any manual syncromesh transmission should be able to be shifted without the clutch.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It's very easy man > just you have to be fast in shifting and you have to have a good skill in your FOOT > yes in your foot > put your right foot on the brake and acc padel and start the burn in 1st then shift in less then a second to 2nd gear > that so easy ...

and if you have too much power then no need for burnout > just stop and give 1st then 2nd in a very fast time > your car should burn out badly ...

i have a video of my car burning in 2nd gear > just 2nd and there was no brake applaied in the burn out ... i will try to put the video soon ...

Regards

1 - 20 of 45 Posts