Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for any input on this clutch. I'm thinking of going with the sprung hub kevlar disc and Fidenza flywheel. Any use that combo before? I had great luck with the stocker so I didn't want to take to radical a departure from it.

·
Banned
663 Posts
I do believe MTR is running it...maybe he will respond, or give him a PM.

p.s. can you give some more details on your 11.1 pass on pump gas? Thats impressive...drag radials as well? What other mods? Stock ECU for the Meth kit?

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
If you plan on running any sort of drag radial or slick this disk will fry pretty quickly. Looks like you are into drag racing so I would say go with a 6 puck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
phorcefed00 said:
I do believe MTR is running it...maybe he will respond, or give him a PM.

p.s. can you give some more details on your 11.1 pass on pump gas? Thats impressive...drag radials as well? What other mods? Stock ECU for the Meth kit?

I am using Derek's Devices low flow meth/water inj. kit. For the 11.16 and .17 I was running my ET streets but I had run a 11.21 on Nitto dr's also at an IDRC event which wouldn't allow ET Streets. I have a stock ecu and maf and my info on the single turbo is in my sig.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MTR said:
If you plan on running any sort of drag radial or slick this disk will fry pretty quickly. Looks like you are into drag racing so I would say go with a 6 puck.
My stock clutch lasted me for quite a long time, atleast 150-200 passes down the 1/4 mile. Shouldn't this clutch last longer than the stock unit? I keep wondering if I had a really freak stock clutch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Why dont you just run the DXD or DXD-F series? I got the DXD-F series on my car now and the pedal pressure is almost like stock and the clutch doesnt chatter like the HPF one i had before. The fidanza does but thats no biggie. I havent got to launch on it since im breaking it in but it seems real slippable and isnt very grabbie

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just install the DXD-TZ with the kevlar disc,I am in the process of breaking it in.So far no problem.It feels like stock,maybe a bit softer,but very slippable.I had to adjust the clutch after the install,now it goes into gear like butter.No noise at all.You cannot install the disc backwards like other disc,because they use a stock disc as the base.

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
I have the DXD pressure plate in my car now and absoutely hate it. It's way too soft, it feels like I am driving a honda civic not a supra. I would highly reccomend getting the RPS blue pressure plate instead.

Mike

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MTR said:
I have the DXD pressure plate in my car now and absoutely hate it. It's way too soft, it feels like I am driving a honda civic not a supra. I would highly reccomend getting the RPS blue pressure plate instead.

Mike
How much power is your car making and is it holding the power. Does it feel softer than the stock pressure plate?

·
TRACK CAR
1,432 Posts
I honestly can't remember what the stock one felt like beccause I didnt have it in the car for too long. My previous setup was the full faced kevlar disk with RPS blue PP and it was a really nice setup on the street, probably the best setup on a supra that I have ever driven until I lauched on drag radials at 6k. (maybe 490rwhp-520rwhp) So I bought the DXD 6 puck disk with kevlar on the PP side and organic B on the flywheel side, along with their DXD PP. I honesly hate it as a daily driver. The engagement is about 1 inch right at the top of the pedal travel and the pressure plate like I said is way way too soft, my biggest gripe. It does seem to put the power down really well though. (same power levels as above) I am going to take this DXD PP out of my car next week and put in an RPS, so if anyone wants to try out the DXD setup just buy the disk from south bend and I will sell you my DXD PP for pretty cheap if you are into having a light clutch pedal.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the quick reply. This clutch decision is the toughest I've ever had to make for this car.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone else with Southbend clutch good or bad experiences?

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
Rviscosi said:
Anyone else with Southbend clutch good or bad experiences?
I've had mine (SB PP & TZ disc)for nearly 2.5 years. Best clutch ever for <500 rwt. I don't drag race it too often, but did dip into the high elevens with it.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lagtime said:
I've had mine (SB PP & TZ disc)for nearly 2.5 years. Best clutch ever for <500 rwt. I don't drag race it too often, but did dip into the high elevens with it.
Thanks for replying Chip, do you think the pp is a little stonger than stock? They say it pushes with the same effort but is this due to a leverage advantage? Thats what their website claims. The Clutch Master clutches also make this claim about an advantage from a leverage viewpoint which I don't understand. Seems like the lever that pushes the bearing would need to change to get a leverage advantage.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
I know they claim the clamping force is higher at a similar to stock pedal feel. I have no reason to doubt them, but I'm not sure what they do to make this happen. Maybe something to the diaphragm spring?

Frankly, I can't remember how my stock clutch felt, but the SB requires less pedal effort than the blue RPS plate that it replaced. I never found the RPS to be too heavy, though.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chip, do you use the stock flywheel with this clutch and if so are you using a solid hub disc? I'm just wondering if I should bump up the clamping force a bit. According to the HPF website from softest to hardest push they rank them:

Southbend
RPS black-sport
RPS blue
ACT

Maybe one of the RPS pp's would be better for me since I do drag the car quite a bit. I also wanted to try a lighter flywheel, like the Fidanza or RPS with a sprung hub type disc. I wish I could get the new RPS Chrome-Moly flywheel which is kind of a tweener, weight wise but its only available if you purchase the Carbon-carbon setup.

·
Old School
4,051 Posts
I have a stock FW. The disc is a stock Toyota (including the marcel) re-covered in Kevlar. So it is a solid hub.

I bet the RPS blue would be great with the Kevlar disc.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I think I posted in one of your other cluth threads, but anyway :)
My current setup is a south bend PP, RPS LW FW, and HPF bronze disk. The pedal pressure is close to stock (I had an ACT PP last so it's been a while since I drive a stock clutch). HPF rates the SB PP at 2450lbs vs. 2200lbs for the stock PP. I feel that the ACT PP is a bit on the overly heavy side, I got used to it fine, but it just felt like it was putting alot of stress on everything.
I haven't been to the track yet on this setup so I can't comment on that.
I do know that my stock clutch lasted me ~100 passes from stock power to BPU, with a bunch of 12 second passes plus 60k miles. My second clutch was a ACT PP with stock disk and FW which lasted ~120 passes all on DR's with a bunch of low 12's and high 11's on it, but only about 8k miles. I feel that the stock disk just doesn't like to be slipped much off the line. I think that my new setup will hold up a lot better to luanches at the track. I don't feel that I overly slipp the clutch, so I don't think I will have any issues with fusing the disk, I think that you really have to ship it hard to do that, but time will tell...
Anyway I know that the clutch decision is a tough one, I went back and forth a bunch of times before picking my current setup. BTW, I really like the LW FW, but I will have to see how I like it once I really try a luanch on it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for posting guys, if anyone has any experience with any kevlar disc or different combo's please chime in. I know there always been lots of posts on this subject and I think I've read most of them but any new experiences would be greatly appreciated. A friend of mine told me to never get more clutch than you really think you need.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts