Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed I couldn't shift into some of the gears so I took the shifter apart and the reverse lockout piece has separated from the main body so it is rotating freely around...

the circled part of the picture is the part where the separation has happened...anybody else have this happen? :sad: Dusty, any comments?

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
Never heard of it or seen it. You're the first! I'm sure its under warranty, so you should have a full replacement.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Kind regards,

Dusty

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I can't say I have the exact same problem, but my reverse lock out is busted as well. I always attributed it to me installing it (I thought I did it wrong, or something came loose). I never went back to checking/fixing it though... I'm the only driver and figured "f*ck it", I know my car. 2 yrs later, still good. :ugh2:

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I just took mine out and noticed the same thing. I didn't realize that it wasn't supposed to be loose because I could't remember how it was when i installed it but after seeing this thread, the same thing happened to mine!!!....

hmmmmm........!?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if yours is doing the same as mine then the reverse lockout portions is now freewheeling in a circular fashion (it rotates the easiest with the reverse lockout knob pulled up) which can interfere with the the four bolts holding down the shift assembly. I almost got stuck at a light because it wouldn't go into first gear. First the B&M snapping in half, now this..... :rolleyes:

::MySTiK_[SuPRa]:: said:
I just took mine out and noticed the same thing. I didn't realize that it wasn't supposed to be loose because I could't remember how it was when i installed it but after seeing this thread, the same thing happened to mine!!!....

hmmmmm........!?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
TT Tercel said:
Mine is fine. Maybe I should double check

You'll know when yours goes out. You'll be able to go into reverse without having to pull up the on shifter, and finding 5th will be a bitch.

I originally thought the problem was because of the bolts. I remember i had one bolt that seemed too short and wouldn't thread properly. I thought i got it on the install but it came loose.

hmm...now what?

suprasol, PM me any details if you can find a fix or replacment. Thanks

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as of right now I was told to get pictures of it and send it to MVP where they will correspond with C's, I haven't had a chance to do that yet but will keep you informed. Actually come to think of it, MVP was not 100% sure if it will be covered at all, that was the impression I got when I called them. I will stay optimistic considering I spent $500 on a short shifter that didn't last a year. I am dreading the wait associated with this warranty situation since as it sits my car will randomly not go into certain gears. :sad:

You'll know when yours goes out. You'll be able to go into reverse without having to pull up the on shifter, and finding 5th will be a bitch.

I originally thought the problem was because of the bolts. I remember i had one bolt that seemed too short and wouldn't thread properly. I thought i got it on the install but it came loose.

hmm...now what?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is exactly how I found out and my biggest peeve. 5th is anything but a short throw now.

·
Premium Member
10,086 Posts
SupraSol said:
as of right now I was told to get pictures of it and send it to MVP where they will correspond with C's, I haven't had a chance to do that yet but will keep you informed. Actually come to think of it, MVP was not 100% sure if it will be covered at all, that was the impression I got when I called them. I will stay optimistic considering I spent $500 on a short shifter that didn't last a year. I am dreading the wait associated with this warranty situation since as it sits my car will randomly not go into certain gears. :sad:

We are never "certain" a warranty will go through as it is not up to us. We do not want to tell a customer something that is not true, or mislead them. We take all of the information you give us and promptly pass it along to the manufacturer who makes a decision and we go from there.

This is where buying from an Authorized Dealer is so important. First, the manufacturer will talk to us, they don't talk to 2nd hand resellers. Second, we have pull and weight with them that someone else does not due to our volume of business and the fact we actually know them.

So yes, please send information over to [email protected] including pictures (C's Japan requires it) and a description as to what is wrong. He will then contact Japan and get back to you.

Thanks,

Dusty

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fixed mine today. Ends up it wasn't broken after all.

This time I took it apart and had time to look at it in decent light. There are two hex lockdown screws that hold that piece on tight on the left and right. Mine had come loose for some reason so I simply tightened them down. If yours became too loose it's quite possible they got lost so I'm not sure where you would get replacements from.

Don't make them too tight or else your shifter will not drop back down after pulling up on it to go into reverse, they only need to be tight enough to dig into the grooves. You will see what I mean when you take a closer look. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put some loctite on these guys although it doesn't look like they put any on at the factory. :dunno:

hmm...now what?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
SupraSol said:
I fixed mine today. Ends up it wasn't broken after all.

This time I took it apart and had time to look at it in decent light. There are two hex lockdown screws that hold that piece on tight on the left and right. Mine had come loose for some reason so I simply tightened them down. If yours became too loose it's quite possible they got lost so I'm not sure where you would get replacements from.

Don't make them too tight or else your shifter will not drop back down after pulling up on it to go into reverse, they only need to be tight enough to dig into the grooves. You will see what I mean when you take a closer look. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to put some loctite on these guys although it doesn't look like they put any on at the factory. :dunno:

hmm....thanks for the info!!!

I'll have to look at it when i get a chance.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
are the hex screws near the circled area on the shifter/pic?
I have a c's but I havent drove the car that much to tell yet if there coming loose.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've circled one of the screws in blue in the attached picture. The other one is on the opposite side.

twitch69187 said:
are the hex screws near the circled area on the shifter/pic?
I have a c's but I havent drove the car that much to tell yet if there coming loose.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
thanks,
were you able to tighten them without totally removing the shifter?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes, you only have to remove the rubber boots to get to them.

twitch69187 said:
thanks,
were you able to tighten them without totally removing the shifter?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts