Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys, I've done searches and can't seem to find the info that I'm looking for. Every time that somebody brings this option up it gets blown out of the water by people saying that it is too hard and that you are better off selling the NA and getting a TT. Well guess what, I don't want to sell my NA, I'm attached. So what the hell makes it so damned hard? Why not buy a half-cut of a mkIV which include engine, tranny, and all the other shit that is in the engine bay, as well as the dash. Wouldn't that cover all of the parts necessary for the swap except for the driveshaft and differential (which sometimes come with a clip as well)?
Could somebody that has actually done this swap PLEASE get in touch with me, or if you know somebody who has done it, find some way for me to contact them? Thank you

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
Well theres no point in doing it, incase you havnt noticed 90% of the threads, NA-T is the way to go, why waste the money. Wouldnt say sell the NA and get a TT though, no use in that.

·
Registered
898 Posts
by the time the swap was over you would have spent like 10 grand at least... (for a proper, running perfect swap) you have to upgrade like everything.. i dont even feel like naming all the stuff. its true... you could have just bought a tt.. and possibly even gotten it to like 400 rwhp... the best option for an n/a is just getting a turbo kit..

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input, but I don't want to go NA-T. I've noticed everybody saying that NA-T is so much cheaper, but I would rather go with the GTE as my platfor and upgrade from there, as I intend to stay with a twin turbo setup through the life of my ownership of my car. Single-turbo cars do not impress me for the most part.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MkIVSylver said:
.. i dont even feel like naming all the stuff.
humor me

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
ask people lilke SupraMD...he's done the swap...and gone single...

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank god somebody has figured out what the point of this thread was. Contacts with somebody who has done it people, thats what I want.
Thankyou supraman78, know of anybody else who has done it?

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
The user Frankenstein has done it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Im doing it in my SC300 right now and from what Im told the TT wiring harness plugs in on the NAs (not on the SC300s though).. If that is the case then it seems to me it would be a easy deal.. The GTE will just bolt in. The wiring being the only problem which isn't a problem at all.. I like the GTE too so to me whatever pain would be justified. The way I look at it a BPU supra TT will make as much power if not more than a base NA-T with a single.. The TT already has 550 injectors, a boost friendly comp. ratio and oil squirter on the pistons.. To me well worth it.. I think the problem is alot (and its not a bad thing AT ALL) of people aren't able to do the work themselves so that why the cost is so high.. It is alot easier to bolt on a turbo opposed to doing a complete engine, tranny, and rearend swap... Just my 2 cents

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Im doing it in my SC300 right now and from what Im told the TT wiring harness plugs in on the NAs (not on the SC300s though).. If that is the case then it seems to me it would be a easy deal.. The GTE will just bolt in. The wiring being the only problem which isn't a problem at all.. I like the GTE too so to me whatever pain would be justified. The way I look at it a BPU supra TT will make as much power if not more than a base NA-T with a single.. The TT already has 550 injectors, a boost friendly comp. ratio and oil squirter on the pistons.. To me well worth it.. I think the problem is alot (and its not a bad thing AT ALL) of people aren't able to do the work themselves so that why the cost is so high.. It is alot easier to bolt on a turbo opposed to doing a complete engine, tranny, and rearend swap... Just my 2 cents

highly agreed.

read this ....
http://www.to4r.com/members/stevewilson.html

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
yes there have been swaps done
im planning to swap... don'/t let anyone deturr you for me i wanna keep my 98 chassis and body parts etc to spend 1000 on just lights and 1000 more on a steering wheel you can have half of an engine swap

·
Registered
196 Posts
I feel the same exact way. I have had 2 turbo kits on my car. The first one was a Toyomoto manifold w/ a 60-1 turbo. I made 325 rwhp @ 11-12 psi. Then I sold that kit and got another turbo kit. I made roughly around the same power at a lower psi. Finally I sold that and bought my 2jzgte....So after all of that, I am doing what I wanted to do in the very beginning...

93anthracite, didn't you do a 1jzgte swap in your older supra? The 2jzgte swap should be very similar. Like what Tommyd1919 said, the wiring is the most difficult part but honestly it is not that bad. Just buy the electrical diagrams for the supra 2jzgte and 2jzge. The only plugs that you would have to change on the 2jzgte wiring harness is the plugs that go to the chassis.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Mazx6 said:
....this is SupraMD. His supra is one of the first supra's I saw in person that was hooked up when I moved out here. I was able to see it after he first swapped back a couple of years ago...I think he must be running over 500 at the wheels, even got into turbo mag I think....he'll also tell you this, SP Engineering is the bomb...if you need anything go to them for top quality work

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tuanthuy_99 said:
Just buy the electrical diagrams for the supra 2jzgte and 2jzge.
You guys don't have your wiring diagrams posted anywhere on the net? That's incredible! MkIII guys live by thier wiring diagrams (for good reason) and you can easily find those diagrams for free. Anybody know where there are mkIV diagrams for TT and NA?
I'm not particularly scared of the extension of the wiring harness. Plus, since I'd be getting a clip of a JDM car, the majority of parts necessary for the swap would come with it. Unfortuneatly, I would be slower than the average TT till the wallet healed up and was able to replace the injectors and some other bits and peices. I'm slowly building up a base of knowledgeable people to talk to. Anybody else know somebody who has done the swap?

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
heh, looks like the ole printer is gonna get quite a workout in the near future :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
My SC300 is going through a swap as we speak. Labor alone is costing me $2200. I'm also doing maintenance stuff to it, such as timing belt, water pump, accessory belt. Also there were stuff damaged, so I needed motor mounts and brackets, radiator and radiator fan, fan shroud. I'm also replacing the clutch and flywheel. I also bought a new FMIC and BOV. Also adding in the price of a boost controller, BCC, turbo timer, downpipe, and exhaust, the total comes out to $5500. This doesn't include the motor, transmission, differential, wiring harness, ecu, driveshaft modification, axles, etc. These parts will add at least an additional $5000 if not more. So for my undertaking, this is going to be costing me more than $10,000. It's up to you if you want to spend this much. I hope this gives you an idea of what this involves.

·
b00st junkie
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'll be doing all of my own labor, with the help of a couple friends, so there won't be any money there until the night at the bar after we take it for its first drive as a TT.
A lot of the parts that you listed are things that I won't be worrying about for a while. If I use a JDM clip, there would be no reason to mod it out until I have the other parts necessary to ensure it can handle the mods. As far as I can tell, the only things that I will probably do in terms of mods, which I'm doing the swap, would be a downpipe and maybe a cutout. I'll use stock SMIC and all piping, and pretty much strip the JDM engine bay bare before its all said and done. Once I've got some bigger injectors, wastegate, etc, I'll go for the bigger mods to make it more powerful.

·
painted cf hood advocate
409 Posts
SP Engineering wants 10K just for the labor alone to do the swap, and your saying you and friends can do the swap you will end up saving some big bucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts