Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I own a 300zx non turbo that I've had for almost 9 years. It's been sitting in my driveway for about half that time without an engine due to lack of funds maybe even slightly due to lack of interest. So now I'm trying to decide wether to swap a TT engine in it or sell it and get an FD.

I realize that this is a supra forums but I lurk here all the time and the other cars section always has a wide variety of people who have owned all types of cars or had experience with them so I'm asking for you guys' input.

Can anybody compare the two? Can yall give me the positives/negatives of each car? Been going back and forth on this and can't really make up my mind so any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
899 Posts
So I own a 300zx non turbo that I've had for almost 9 years. It's been sitting in my driveway for about half that time without an engine due to lack of funds maybe even slightly due to lack of interest. So now I'm trying to decide wether to swap a TT engine in it or sell it and get an FD.

I realize that this is a supra forums but I lurk here all the time and the other cars section always has a wide variety of people who have owned all types of cars or had experience with them so I'm asking for you guys' input.

Can anybody compare the two? Can yall give me the positives/negatives of each car? Been going back and forth on this and can't really make up my mind so any help is appreciated.
If lacking an engine and funds are stopping you from putting an engine in the 300, then you should steer clear of an FD.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry maybe I should've explained myself better. I didn't have funds before. Now I'm in a much better spot financially and the time has come when I am able to actually see a project through. Of course there is a budget but I'm no longer strapped for cash like I was.

·
Registered
479 Posts
weekend/fun car or are you thinking daily use?

Ive owned both, the FD is more fun but the 300ZTT is more livable day to day. If you have a desire to own a TT Japanese car then go for it but I'd suggest getting a c5/c6 or terminator before either, ESPECIALLY if you're working in a tight budget. A chassis sitting outside for 5 years is gonna need a lot of things replaced. An FD always need stuff replaced. And they both need a few grand of parts to really make them fun. And then they are unreliable again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a company vehicle I drive and I already own a truck for the weekends. So I guess this would be more of a project car. I'm not necessarily on a tight budget as of now but if I had to spend more on it then I would have to stretch the time it would take to finish it.

Did yours have the rotary or was yours LS swapped? Thinking about just buying a roller and starting of with an LS motor right off the bat. Problem with that is idk if I want a boosted V6 or an NA V8. Never had either so I'm not entirely sure which will suit me.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,109 Posts
I had a 91 300zx twin turbo for awhile that I acquired from the original owner. it was solid, with no issues and was actually a great car.

though, I sold it recently even though it was an excellent example. it never needed anything under my ownership yet (it was in between timing belt intervals), I did not look forward to servicing it myself.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the engine on my N/A and tore it all down so working on it never bugged me all that much. Though not having turbos did open up some room so there's that.

I loved my Z even as an N/A. It's so hard to let go but I'm just wondering if it's time to move on.

·
NY56637
1,813 Posts
Which one would you rather have?

Sounds like you want an FD, despite the ZX being a bit more practical.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think FDs have bottomed out as far as price goes. With limited good examples still available- i'd go for the RX just cause it probably will only appreciate in value. 300s don't look fun to work on as far as engine work goes. I think I saw a good FD in Texas for sale in the past couple days too. And if you can find a good one in yellow, they command a higher price just on the color alone. I'd go Rx7, even with the life support they require.

·
Registered
479 Posts
my FD was rotary and was a fantastic car to drive. Primary reason for selling was that rotary cores are getting expensive and I knew it was coming of age where a lot of $ would be needed to keep it tip top. My car was *mint/near perfect and I am super OCD on maintenance...but suspension bits, hoses, injectors, etc....all just plain get 'old'. I did consider the LS swap, but I figured it would be best to pass the car on to someone who appreciated it for what it was. Plus for the cost of the build and time it is easier to just buy a nice C5/C6 as mentioned above.

300ZTT is a much easier car to live with and drive day to day, but never provided the satisfaction of the FD in terms of the driving 'experience'. That is of course personal opinion and the Z is still a good car.

It really depends on your driving intentions (ie road race/drag type) but both were good cars. I still say go Terminator or C5/C6

·
SupraForums Sponsor
574 Posts
I'd go with an FD over the ZX based on rarity alone and swap an LS in it

You'd be amazed by the actual number of USDM FD's are registered in the U.S.

In comparison, 300ZX's are everywhere.

Nick C.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
my FD was rotary and was a fantastic car to drive. Primary reason for selling was that rotary cores are getting expensive and I knew it was coming of age where a lot of $ would be needed to keep it tip top. My car was *mint/near perfect and I am super OCD on maintenance...but suspension bits, hoses, injectors, etc....all just plain get 'old'. I did consider the LS swap, but I figured it would be best to pass the car on to someone who appreciated it for what it was. Plus for the cost of the build and time it is easier to just buy a nice C5/C6 as mentioned above.

300ZTT is a much easier car to live with and drive day to day, but never provided the satisfaction of the FD in terms of the driving 'experience'. That is of course personal opinion and the Z is still a good car.

It really depends on your driving intentions (ie road race/drag type) but both were good cars. I still say go Terminator or C5/C6
Although I appreciate all types of cars, neither a cobra or a vette are really my cup of tea.

Now regarding the wankel, I actually think they are quite interesting. I've spent some time recently reading up on them and learning how they work. My only concern is that most guys that have swapped over to an LS went through 2/3 engines before saying enough is enough. So that's why I thought if I did get an FD I'd skip that. Although. maybe it might be more fun to build a wankel first and leave the LS option for later idk.

I think the main thing that I'm unsure of is what kind of car I would enjoy more. The 7 seems more like a raw, balls to the wall type car while the Z is more like a cruiser that can make tons of power and still be fast as all hell plus it was and still is my first love.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,040 Posts
Although I appreciate all types of cars, neither a cobra or a vette are really my cup of tea.

Now regarding the wankel, I actually think they are quite interesting. I've spent some time recently reading up on them and learning how they work. My only concern is that most guys that have swapped over to an LS went through 2/3 engines before saying enough is enough. So that's why I thought if I did get an FD I'd skip that. Although. maybe it might be more fun to build a wankel first and leave the LS option for later idk.

I think the main thing that I'm unsure of is what kind of car I would enjoy more. The 7 seems more like a raw, balls to the wall type car while the Z is more like a cruiser that can make tons of power and still be fast as all hell plus it was and still is my first love.
The FD is a F16, the 300zx is a F18 and the supra is a stealth bomber.

R.K.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Its all what you prefer really. FD is small and so is the interior, but generally all the 90's car had the same ergo....so you're not changing anything (feature wise) between any of the cars.

Seeing that you live in Tx......I'd think long and hard on the wankel. They run HOT and you'll need to take steps to keep that under control ie additional expense. But if you like tinkering, dont mind wrenching the FD is GREAT car.

I know 'building' a car to be a bullet has been a long time mantra in the car community, but honestly the newer generation of cars are not pigs. Back in the day, any of the 3 Japanese TT cars would walk lengths on new vettes, mustangs, ferraris, etc.......times have changed. A STRONG BPU car would trap ~122mph......alot of the new cars are not far off that mark or are significantly faster. I mention this to save you some frustration if you envision bumping boost a couple psi and wasting a GTR or new Z06......not gonna happen. You will have a very FUN and relatively quick car but its not gonna be a street monster that you may remember.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Based on the pictures of your 300zx in your other thread, I would keep it. It looks like a very clean example, especially the interior.

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
I think like the Supras, interior parts are going to be the toughest parts to find for the RX7. They are excellent cars, handling wise.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts