Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing the transmission fluid today and found out the bolt is stripped. When I turn the bolt it doesn't come out, it just keeps turning. Does anybody know how I could possibly get this out?

·
Hardtopper Once Again!
1,709 Posts
Go to Sear and buy the kit they sell for rounded off bolts, it is a good investment since you will end up using it many times. If you don't have a Sears around you, go on their website and see if you can buy it from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright I will go to Sears and see what they have. Thank you guys for your help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
if the bolts is all ready stripped bad enough to replace, you could try a good pair of vise-grips. other than that, sears

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
To remove a stripped screw you would use a tap. The procedure is this....first take out your drill and drill a hole into the screw (small hole). Then take a tap (they come in different sizes) and use that to remove the screw.

A die is something that can be used to either make new screw threads in a metal rod or to repair damaged threads of a screw. Most times you would be better off just buying a new screw though.

Sears and others sell these both seperately or in tap and die sets. I'd say buy a tap and remove the screw and then buy a replacement. If you want to read a little about these 2 tools go here....tap and dies . Gotta love wikipedia. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea but the problem isn't the screw, it's the pan threads. Those threads are stripped, so even drilling a hold in the screw and going that route wouldn't stop it from just spinning there. Am I missing something here?

G

·
If I understand what you're saying, pretty much the only route you have is to drill out the bolt and then to re-tap and re-thread the hole. Of course this would also be a problem because you're going to get a ton of metal shavings in your transmission.

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,875 Posts
take a knife or screwdriver it get under the screw or close to getting under it and then turn the bolt and put pressure at the bottom of the bolt or near the pan and pry the bolt out hope this works for you david

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Morphius said:
If I understand what you're saying, pretty much the only route you have is to drill out the bolt and then to re-tap and re-thread the hole. Of course this would also be a problem because you're going to get a ton of metal shavings in your transmission.
Yea i didn't quite understand what he was saying at first.

But to get the screw out he should do what I said and then as you said he should re-tap and re-thread the hole. And yes that is going to be a problem since it is your tranny and you don't want metal shavings in there.

I'd say take it to a transmission shop, I'm sure they have had the problem before.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Jad said:
Yea but the problem isn't the screw, it's the pan threads. Those threads are stripped, so even drilling a hold in the screw and going that route wouldn't stop it from just spinning there. Am I missing something here?
Oh and you are missing something....the screw will come out if you drill a small hole in the top of the screw and then use a tap to extract it.

The problem is that once you get the bolt out what your going to do then to get the new screw to screw in since the pan threads are messed up.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Morphius said:
I don't think there would be a ton of metal shavings. Most would fall to the ground or be at the bottom of the pan, where they could be flushed out.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
0wned said:
I don't think there would be a ton of metal shavings. Most would fall to the ground or be at the bottom of the pan, where they could be flushed out.
Yea but if I was him I would want to be as safe as possible. I know I'm not a tranny expert so I would say he should bring it to a professional to at least get there opinion on if he should do this. I don't think anyone who has commented so far has enough experience in this field to say that he should or shouldn't re-thread it and risk getting metal in the tranny and ruinning it.

Like I said bring it to a reliable shop and at least ask.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm not worried about metal shavings because I have the pan competely off. I can just use a magnet to get those peices out. I think what I am going to go itdrill hols in the screw to break it up then re thread the pan threads. I appreciate all your help guys, I always like to hear other ideas because sometimes I can easily miss a simple solution. Would you guys go the same route I am?

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
ovey1 said:
take a knife or screwdriver it get under the screw or close to getting under it and then turn the bolt and put pressure at the bottom of the bolt or near the pan and pry the bolt out hope this works for you david
I would try this method also, works great for most stripped bolts.

Lawrence

·
When cars say, "NO MORE!"
2,112 Posts
you may end up finding that you need a new transmission pan. Just take the trans pan off with the 12 (or so) small bolts holding it on...itll make everything easier working n the trans pan off of the car.

A lot of times the bolt pulls the threads off of the pan...when this happens you prob need a new transmission pan.

·
?!!?HABBA BABBA??!!
2,757 Posts
i have this issue with 2 bolts also...from my knowledge, there are no threads in the pan itself, but the transmission casing.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Im lost as hell as to what the actual problem is. I wouldnt think the pan itself has any theads in it. If your talking about the casing, retaping a hole thats allready too large isnt going to do much. You will need to use a heli-coil(google it) if thats the case. If your just trying to get out the bolt of a stripped hole and the threads being gone are not "pushing" itself out, just use vicegrips.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts