Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The heat shield behind the turbo that covers the exhaust manifold, has anyone left that one off without any problems? Searched and couldn't find too much.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I have been running without them for 4 yrs now and no probs. Although my new manifold and turbo are jethot coated so its not as hot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mines all stock, manifold and turbo

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
why would you wanna take it off in the first place? for the cool, look at my turbo exhaust housing or what?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Spoolme said:
why would you wanna take it off in the first place? for the cool, look at my turbo exhaust housing or what?
In my opinion it looks a lot better without them on there. If you take them off it will get a lil warmer under the hood but its not going to hurt anything.

·
Registered
375 Posts
you dont want warmer under the hood, just give that thing a good polish and it will look good, keeping it on there will help prevent against heat soak which is evil

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spoolme said:
yeh exactly because without it, it looks like a show car. NO, I finished building my motor today and realized I left it off. anyway I just finished putting it back on, I want this thing to be as good as I can get it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
No problems here running no heat shield either. It does get quite hot under there though. I could definately feel the difference with the heat shield on and off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
well chances are that the heat shield is there for a reason, but doesnt seem like it makes that big of a diff. so if your one of those who just wants it to look a little better, than I dont see any problems with it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as i posted i put it back on, only reason being the 2 rubber lines that run close to the shield covering the manifold.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
i took the front one off because the sp61gt would not fit without touching it an d i didn't feel like hacking it to make it fit so i took it off, it does seem to give more heat.

Does anyone notice that it seems to be louder?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i have been running without the front one and with a turbo blanket for some time now with no ill effects. that said, when i had my blanket off my stock ic pipes got extremely hot to the point they started to melt some on the inside for some reason. {shrug} your call

·
Registered
106 Posts
i havent had mine on for about a week, not because it looks 'cool' but because the damn thing doesnt fit with a ddp on there. i gotta hammer the back end out and make it fit. havent noticed much of a difference but i am paranoid about my o2 sensor wires.

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
It's actually pretty amazing that thos o2 sensor wires can take that heat for so long, being right by the turbo and exhaust mani.

·
Registered
363 Posts
89 Black Beauty said:
It's actually pretty amazing that thos o2 sensor wires can take that heat for so long, being right by the turbo and exhaust mani.
agreed. the black heat shielding for the wires practically welded itself to the exhaust housing and the wires were fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts