Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at this product currently. seems like it might be legit.
HOT Vehicle Car GPS Tracker TK103A Real-time tracking Listen-in Google Map Link (search for that on ebay)

im wondering if anyone has used that particular one.

otherwise im also looking at any kind of secretly installable GPS so i can pull the cars location if it ever gets stolen.
bonus if it has some kind of warning if the cars position changes (ie if someone moves it at 3am from its parked position)

i understand its a private subject since most people probably dont want anyone knowing about such devices installed. or pictures of where its installed.
any info on the subject will be appreciated.

basically i want something that can be installed out of sight and have it hooked to 12v for 24/7 operation and have it either send me the location upon SMS request, etc, or website tracking, or have it constantly relay the GPS to a website.
bonus for better user integration with the GPS so i can tell the cops easily how to locate the car, etc.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seems legit. there are cheaper ways though. i will check that one out more later, i like how you can connect it to your phone

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm using my old motorolla cell phone installed inside the car somewhere and I modified the 12volts charger with an inline fuse to the battery. I also removed the speaker and disabled vibration. I pay a basic account with koodo mobile during the summer month and if the car is stolen I only have to call them to track the car location and tell the police about the phone number the car have. Cheap insurance, cheaper than boomerang and other similar services. Would be nice to get something I can monitor myself like truck float software using gps tracking. But I doubt such a service would still be free every month as it need some network to communicate lcoations... I got a Viper 5902, plan to add the smart start module to use my Nexus S phones with it, Viper also provide gps tracking software add-on modules for the 5902 I think.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea tahts the exact method ive seen before and it looks like the most optimal. i have an old blackberry sitting so im curious if i can convert utilize it.

i like it because the phone can run for literally month(s) without being charged and if you wire the charger to the battery it will rejuvenate the battery everytime you drive. plus basic cell is only like $8/mo or something.

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
I saw a how to video on I think it was i-hacked were a guy used a little 20 dollar GPS locater that you put in purses and what not to track them and he retrofitted it for a 12v input and wired it inside his door panel. The service is free for the first 3 months, then after that it is like 15 dollars a month to keep the GPS service on and the greatest thing is that it shows real time where the car is. I'll try to find the link and post it up.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i would appreciate it. thats the kind of jimmy rigged solution i want. and 15/mo isnt bad. 180/year

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if it sends the information anywhere you could track via computer.

or usually at least it can send a signal via SMS text message if you phone it, etc. then you can plug in the co-ordinates to google map or whatever.

so the most powerful setups will integrate the gps with internet/computer and you can use a website or program to track it.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mint, thx i will investigate more later. thats pretty much exactly what i want.

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
I have LoJack on mine otherwise this is what I would be using as well. I like the fact that you can put a battery and wire it for 12v just incase a theft tries to be smart and disconnect the car battery.

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
Man, nice find, only thing IS best buy announced that the company is shutting this down on April 1st 2012. Service will no longer be available for it and no longer sold.
That sucks... I saw some other units similar to this when I was searching for the original video that I'm sure the same could be done to them. I little research on google and I bet agm can find a substitute.

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
I just emailed KipKay to request another video be done with his expertise on another cheap GPS tracker. We'll see if he does it or not. He is usually pretty good at responding to his viewers.

·
Raising the BAR
3,324 Posts
Agm, I found another one that is very similar that will work the same. It is about 50 dollars for the unit and about 30 a month, the cheapest retailer I could find is a vendor on eBay so if you want just pm me and I will send you the eBay link.

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmm depressing about the kipkay previous one. im sure theres more like it though.

sure Dj6ta send me the link.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ive recently developed an online shopping addiction... and just realized they have GPS security units on dealextreme, that website is the tits... worth a look.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
For sure! You can't prevent anyone from stealing your car when they really want to...

Has anyone heard of or used the eZoom GPS Portable device? Seems to be fairly new since it's only got 1 review (3-star) on amazon

1 - 20 of 37 Posts