Supra Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm was using a prepaid phone, with a cigarret lighter inside one of the rear side panel with a house alarm 12 volt battery , if they disconect the car battery the phone will stay on for a month
work great for 2 years now instamapper stop working last month, is there anything similar to instamapper ?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I use the tk103b as found on eBay for about $67. I put a $1/month sim card which gives me enough data/quota to use with the kit. It works perfectly.

Can do tracking via iphone maps app, also do remote fuel cut. This was important to me as the majority of car thefts here in Australia are from people breaking in and stealing your keys. So basically you give them the keys, track their location, call the cops and cut the fuel (or don't call the cops and call a group of friends and deal your judgement judge dredd style)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm was using a prepaid phone, with a cigarret lighter inside one of the rear side panel with a house alarm 12 volt battery , if they disconect the car battery the phone will stay on for a month
work great for 2 years now instamapper stop working last month, is there anything similar to instamapper ?
Check gps-trace.com

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Been looking into these units, and the jammer is win for theives.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have the Spot gps tracker in my car. Cost is 100 bucks on amazon, and service is 99$ a year. Theres an app for my iphone that's linked to google maps, I can view either on google earth or maps. It sends a text or email if the asset moves. So far so good, it was easy to setup and customer service was really good. It can run on regular batteries (need to be changed every few months, but you get a text saying low battery) or you can hard wire it into the car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
For those that are using LoJack, it definitely has its merits (radio waves, so will penetrate through concrete buildings, underground garages/locations, shipping containers, etc, where a GPS signal otherwise would not). BUT:
1) It doesn't notify YOU of the location; you're reliant on the alert, to pass that info on to the Police, who can then try to locate your car
2) That part is dependent on availability of a local police cruiser equipped with the LoJack Recovery equipment
3) LoJack doesn't alert you until 30 or so minutes have passed AFTER your vehicle has been noted to have been moved/stolen. Why? For liability purposes. They don't wanna be responsible for you going face-to-face with a thief. Those 30 minutes are VERY precious minutes you can't afford to lose.

Having said that, I still think LoJack is very helpful (esp. if it may end up in a concrete building or shipping container quickly). So I think its still worth having a backup GPS device with geofencing that'll give you realtime notification of the vehicle's location. I think this unit seems to fit that bill very well: http://www.sourcingbay.com/product_info.php?products_id=329. I'm pretty sure it's the same unit that's for sale on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay-TK103A1-GPS-Tracker/dp/B00Q6R05JM/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

Allows for geofencing with immediate notification, minimal ongoing cost (just the prepaid SIM), and it provides you with a GPS location that you can track via Google Maps!

Dunno if anyone has any first-hand experience with this unit? The online reviews certainly are encouraging...

·
Registered
227 Posts
^Similar modules must be mounted on the dash in plain site or at least in a line of sight fashion. It is fairly large (~10"x6"x3" lxwxh). Requires constant power, obviously. Can be buggy (power supply must be cycled to restore operation). It is easy to defeat, if i was a thief and saw it i would just unplug it, rip it out of its installed location and toss it out the window.

·
Registered
415 Posts
^Similar modules must be mounted on the dash in plain site or at least in a line of sight fashion. It is fairly large (~10"x6"x3" lxwxh). Requires constant power, obviously. Can be buggy (power supply must be cycled to restore operation). It is easy to defeat, if i was a thief and saw it i would just unplug it, rip it out of its installed location and toss it out the window.
Not what I understand. If you look at the pics provided here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6R05JM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=288GXDT6C9EYW&coliid=I2BPAFIJMS7ALN&psc=1 you'll see it clearly has a remote antenna, which can be either placed in the windshield yes, or can be buried in an A/B/C pillar. And the main unit can be hidden anywhere in the car. In fact, if you look at the reviews (can't remember if it was that unit, or for the previous edition: http://www.amazon.com/Sourcingbay®-Tracking-Vehicle-Tracker-Real-time/dp/B008FLOWAU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460305018&sr=8-2&keywords=sourcingbay+tracker) there's a review where the guy shows him installing the unit itself behind the dash, so you could never tell it was there, or get to it without significant time/effort.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is so easy now-a-days. Here's how you can do it cheaper:

1) Get a smartphone, any old one will do, and install a prepaid SIM with data that won't expire. If you can't get one that has data, text and minutes is fine.
2) Hook up the charger to battery +12v. I bought an ebay cigarette adapter socket with pigtail for $1.50 off ebay and a 2 amp USB car charger for $8.
3) Put the phone in airplane mode.
4) Install Tasker or Plug In Launcher and enable a task to launch an app when it detects headphones plugged in.
5) Use the 500 ms +12v warn away pulse or 1200 ms full trigger pulse from a Viper/Compustar/Factory alarm, shock sensor, microwave sensor, tilt sensor, whatever you want.
5a) Connect that pulse to this relay:

Where +12v trigger is your warn away or instant trigger +12v, the (-) output to Vehicle Parking Relay will actually go to the headphone jack. Just strip a headphone wire for this. That wire will have an 25 ohm resistor inline. The other wire just goes to ground. When the relay triggers, it looks like the headphones are plugged in and the software takes over. There's other ways to do it, this is just an easy one.
6) The tasker/plug-in launcher task should then turn off airplane mode.
7) You can then either launch an app to send a text/email with the car's GPS location or write a task in Tasker to do it.
8) Optionally, if your sim has data and if you have something like Wheres My Droid, you can also record video and audio. The remote control apps keep changing but there's a ton of them out there. Teamviewer is free recently.
9) Most of these apps will respond with the GPS coordinates if you send a text so you can keep texting the number to get updates.

With this plan, your phone never uses any of the minutes or data because it's shut off until the alarm is triggered. If you want to just leave it on anyway, that's fine. You don't have to mount it in plain sight, you could put it in an armored box even and connect an external antenna. It does require external power, but with airplane mode on it can run for weeks on just the internal battery. Mine doesn't crash. I've had it running for months at a time.

I'm not really worried about my car getting stolen so I use my Android for a dashcam. I have a thread here:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/car-pc-forum/269354-smartphone-dashcam-howto-discussion.html

·
Registered
415 Posts
It looks to be the same as Tile: https://www.thetileapp.com/.

The #1 problem with these devices is they work on Bluetooth only. So when its not in range of your phone, it is 100% dependent of being in Bluetooth range of not only someone else's phone who must have Bluetooth on, but they have to have the company's app as well (ie be a fellow Tile or TrackR user). Ie its 100% dependent on crowd sourcing to obtain location info, but not via the internet, but rather through other users of their app.

Its kinda like WAZE. If you've ever used it, it's GREAT for heavily populated routes, but useless in areas that don't have much traffic (cuz they don't have many WAZE users). I would NOT recommend something like this to track anything of substantial value, unless all of a sudden the vast majority of Americans sign up for this lol. Because of that, I haven't even delved into more important aspects, such as can you locate via a GPS location/coordinate (helpful to provide to Police), on Google Maps, and what is the update rate of its tracker...cuz if it only sends an update of location every 15 minutes, that's useless. You want something that live updates constantly in very short time intervals (30 seconds, 1 minute, etc).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Needless to say, the hidden type is suitable for theft prevention. In addition, there are several factors to consider about GPS tracker for anti-theft: the cellular network it supports, whether it is legal in your area, and whether its price is appropriate for you. I use LandAirSea 54 in the US, maybe you will like it too.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts