Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious has anyone used these rear differential clutches? The company is called racing diffs. They look pretty cool.

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Font

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,114 Posts
I haven't driven on them, but I have a set here on the shelf.
Also installed a set for a diff I rebuilt for someone.

I'll reach out to them and find out how they are performing.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,114 Posts
I asked the guy I built the diff for that had me install these clutches.

His response on how they are performing:
" No complaints, diff locks up at full tilt but they are quiet and seem to grab good"

So based on the 1 person I know that uses them, they seem to be ok.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

" No complaints, diff locks up at full tilt but they are quiet and seem to grab good"

Good to know. I'm going to think it through this weekend and probably buy a set.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Well I picked up a set and they look nice but on the install I can't get the clearance right on either side. If I use 5 friction disc's I'll have 0 backlash. If I go one less I'll be way to loose. Even if I shim it. Also the kit came with 11 friction discs for some reason.

Do you recommend sanding down one of the steel disc's to meet the backlash tolerance?

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Supra
1,114 Posts
Hmm, I did not encounter that.
Could be that the coating they put on the friction discs was too thick on some, or has some high spots.
Check that first before sanding anything.

You are measuring backlash on the spider gears right?

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,538 Posts
last set I did for my truck same diff for the most part I glass blasted my clutch plates ps I hope you got the weir upgraded spring when you did the swap then even make kits too and I have used them Weir Performance - MAXGRIP LSD Kits

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Follow up review

Diffs in the car with the new clutch discs and steels. I gotta say it's working great. Quite while turning at full lock left and right. Hooks posi when I need it too. I have the spring from wier proformance but didn't use it. I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want it dragging a tire while turning so I left it out.

If anyone does use these. Make sure you understand it's not a drop in kit. The steel disc's are thicker and you may need to shim or replace a new steel for a old one to get the right measurements. Also idk why but the gave me an extra clutch disc. Might have been a factory mistake but ads to the confusion lol.

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,538 Posts
Follow up review

Diffs in the car with the new clutch discs and steels. I gotta say it's working great. Quite while turning at full lock left and right. Hooks posi when I need it too. I have the spring from wier proformance but didn't use it. I wasn't sure what to expect and didn't want it dragging a tire while turning so I left it out.

If anyone does use these. Make sure you understand it's not a drop in kit. The steel disc's are thicker and you may need to shim or replace a new steel for a old one to get the right measurements. Also idk why but the gave me an extra clutch disc. Might have been a factory mistake but ads to the confusion lol.
it wonte chrip a tire during cornering in less you run a tight pack and take the coating off like I did in my truck but smooth plate will just be like gold and the pois will last longer

1 - 13 of 13 Posts