Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....i am looking 2 buy some aftermarket pads for my supra TT 4 piston calipers!

I have 2 peice rotors..... Just curious has any1 used hawks in their calipers?

U guys use shims? If I buy the shim kit from toyota will it bolt up 2 the pads?

I say this because i had a set of portafields(carbon Kevlar) Pads, amazing performance, but the pads were moving in my caliper....since the pads didn't come with shims like factory pads do, so ever since i've been with OEM pads, and i need a better pad!

Any input is appreciated!
Thanx,

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Hawk Street here- no shims. No need to to go Toyota pads (even thought they are good pads) for more money. No dust, little fade on the street (don't track too much with these so can't comment).

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
The shims are strictly to reduce squeel they don't effect movement of the pad in the caliper. You are using the stock pins to hold the pads in the caliper, right? I guess I'm trying to understand what you mean when you state that the pads are moving the caliper...

Shawn

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i guess i should stat my question better!

I drive pretty hard, not like some crazy person but i drive hard,i go through turns hard, everything...LOL i drive the car like how its ment 2 be driven... My car was designed 4 old people, not a young vibrant guy such as myself, lol

ie...my car is a lexus gs400... with mods etc...around 400hp...nowhere near u supra TT guys,

anyways...i've used aftermarket pads like portefield(karbon kevlar pads) project Mu...etc...

They tend 2 move around in the caliper....Yes! I use the factory bolts, brackets etc. whatever the kit toyota sells, i got it!

2-3 times i've changed pads right after i got them because they were moving around, i press the brakes and i feel the pads make this clicking sound, when the mechanic opened it, it showed pre-mature wear,

I switched back 2 stock and ever since no problems, no moving no nothing, but stock pads just don't do it 4 me no more!

I don't like the supra caliper design! Have u seen an alcon unit? stoptech, brembo, porche TT calipers? their pads get screwed into the caliper so there is no chance of the pad moving, supra TT's don't have this...i guess its old design, they did come out with it back in 93!

ANyways...I wanted 2 know if i buy aftermarket pads such as hawks(street) or any other brand, i can buy a set of shims from toyota and glue or bolt them into the new pads? so they fit better and no moving around like i experienced...???

So u guys are saying YES????? i just don't wanna drop $$$$ again for aftermarket pads, than again switch back 2 stock,

I'm getting kinda fed up, if i didn't just buy a house i would just buy stillen 6piston kit, but no more $$$ 2 drop it like its hot. LOL

·
Swinging HARD!
2,859 Posts
I have RB slotted rotters and Hawk Street Pads on my TT no problems so far and they work well. Don't get the racing pads they will get used up fast and will warp your rotors.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Lex400PshR said:
i guess i should stat my question better!

I drive pretty hard, not like some crazy person but i drive hard,i go through turns hard, everything...LOL i drive the car like how its ment 2 be driven... My car was designed 4 old people, not a young vibrant guy such as myself, lol

ie...my car is a lexus gs400... with mods etc...around 400hp...nowhere near u supra TT guys,

anyways...i've used aftermarket pads like portefield(karbon kevlar pads) project Mu...etc...

They tend 2 move around in the caliper....Yes! I use the factory bolts, brackets etc. whatever the kit toyota sells, i got it!

2-3 times i've changed pads right after i got them because they were moving around, i press the brakes and i feel the pads make this clicking sound, when the mechanic opened it, it showed pre-mature wear,

I switched back 2 stock and ever since no problems, no moving no nothing, but stock pads just don't do it 4 me no more!

I don't like the supra caliper design! Have u seen an alcon unit? stoptech, brembo, porche TT calipers? their pads get screwed into the caliper so there is no chance of the pad moving, supra TT's don't have this...i guess its old design, they did come out with it back in 93!

ANyways...I wanted 2 know if i buy aftermarket pads such as hawks(street) or any other brand, i can buy a set of shims from toyota and glue or bolt them into the new pads? so they fit better and no moving around like i experienced...???

So u guys are saying YES????? i just don't wanna drop $$$$ again for aftermarket pads, than again switch back 2 stock,

I'm getting kinda fed up, if i didn't just buy a house i would just buy stillen 6piston kit, but no more $$$ 2 drop it like its hot. LOL
I believe the lexus GS400 and Supra TT calipers are similar, but slightly different. In addition, the rotors for the GS400 are smaller than the Supra TT rotors. The problem may be that you are using a Supra TT calipers on a smaller rotor (GS400 size), which may be causing your pads not to settle in place. To correct the problem, you may want to go back to the GS400 caliper (it's a 4 piston like the Supra TT's)with the correct rotor size for the GS400. If you must use the Supra TT caliper you can try and fit a Supra TT rotor on to the GS400 (which I doubt, but worth a try).

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
I use Hawk HPS pads in my TT brakes and love them.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I used Hawk pads and liked them as well.

There is some movement of the pads in the caliper, but I think you'll find that will all pads. Generally this only happens when you change directions (reverse to forward). The pads shift slightly and then stay there. Whether you like the design or not, it's been proven very effective in producing some of the shortest stopping distances of any stock system. Give the Hawks a try, but I'm not sure it will solve the "problem" you're experiencing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
FLZ_Boy said:
I believe the lexus GS400 and Supra TT calipers are similar, but slightly different. In addition, the rotors for the GS400 are smaller than the Supra TT rotors. The problem may be that you are using a Supra TT calipers on a smaller rotor (GS400 size), which may be causing your pads not to settle in place. To correct the problem, you may want to go back to the GS400 caliper (it's a 4 piston like the Supra TT's)with the correct rotor size for the GS400. If you must use the Supra TT caliper you can try and fit a Supra TT rotor on to the GS400 (which I doubt, but worth a try).
Dude, Gs400 comes 2piston on 11.5 inch rotors, sucks ballz, for a 3850lb car they should have gave it atleast 4 piston!

Only lexus that has 4piston is the LS400......Even the SC430's don't have 4piston, they have my same setup, and the funny thing is the is300 has the exact same setup....So u tell me how does that work? Now in the 06 models, all 430's have 4piston!

I have DBA 2 piece rotors 13'' on 4piston supra TT calipers!
The whole kit is supra TT but in lexus conversion, they bolt up nicely!

Anyways, I will give hawks a try! And i will go back 2 toyota to grab the shim kit again, so i don't re-use the old ones from the pads...

hopefuly its going 2 be better! and no moving around,

thanx again for all your help guys, :bigthumb:

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Lex400PshR said:
Dude, Gs400 comes 2piston on 11.5 inch rotors, sucks ballz, for a 3850lb car they should have gave it atleast 4 piston!

Only lexus that has 4piston is the LS400......Even the SC430's don't have 4piston, they have my same setup, and the funny thing is the is300 has the exact same setup....So u tell me how does that work? Now in the 06 models, all 430's have 4piston!

I have DBA 2 piece rotors 13'' on 4piston supra TT calipers!
The whole kit is supra TT but in lexus conversion, they bolt up nicely!

Anyways, I will give hawks a try! And i will go back 2 toyota to grab the shim kit again, so i don't re-use the old ones from the pads...

hopefuly its going 2 be better! and no moving around,

thanx again for all your help guys, :bigthumb:
GL with the Hawk Pads. You are correct, I was thinking of the LS400. Opps. :nervous:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts