Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Vendor
4,627 Posts
It's just a GT4718 (88) wheel wise with the smaller PT housings, is the one you have T4? I would try to stay away from that.

· Vendor
4,627 Posts
That's what I was worried about. I think the housings are too restrictive for how much air that thing needs to move. The GT4718 from Garrett is already over compressor'd, the only way to combat that being using their 1.39 T6 turbine housing. A .96, or worse yet a T4 .96 isn't going to move enough exhaust gas in my opinion.

· Just an old *******
2,886 Posts
If I was going to listen to anyones opinion about hot air, it would be this guy.

That's what I was worried about. I think the housings are too restrictive for how much air that thing needs to move. The GT4718 from Garrett is already over compressor'd, the only way to combat that being using their 1.39 T6 turbine housing. A .96, or worse yet a T4 .96 isn't going to move enough exhaust gas in my opinion.

· Vendor
4,627 Posts
Hahaha, thanks I think.

· Vendor
4,627 Posts

"Large Frame Diesel" is T6.

· Vendor
4,627 Posts
Then it is even more of a restriction than the T6 housing would be already with the small turbine wheel. I would suggest trying to get something else.

· Premium Member
14 Posts
Were did you get your turbo from, and what is the hp rating on it.
I got it from jose here http://forcedinductions.com/productsborgwarner.htm

I got the ST80 with race cover and a few other odds and ends. No clue on actual hp ratings, but the site says 1300hp. BUT thats with the largest t6 a/r made I assume.

Also, my point was not that my turbo is so good, just telling you that Im in the same boat that its not an optimum turbo BY FAR with this tiny t4 footprint and tiny .81 a/r and a large 80mm turbo

· Turbocharger Engineer
774 Posts
Mark is correct. The 4718 comp wheel is already under driven with the current turbine wheel. Adding a T4 housing will compound the problem already as far as spool up is concerned. Alot of the V8 guys use this turbo though just due to the fact that their is no kits available other then a T4 and its the biggest thing on a T4 flange you can get. Also the grand national guys use it cause they are limited to a T4 flange. If they were not, then it would be a GT47. Also ask the Grand National guys to tell you the Intake to Exhaust PR on their setups. Most are well over 2:1.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.