Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are abundant in the Mustang/GM world. Imagine a TRUE aftermarket casting where the flow of the 2jz could be determined without the use of porting and factor restrictions?

I am sure myself and other big power-makers would pay a kings ransom for an aftermarket head that flowed well.

Chris...build this and ill be the first to buy!!!!:wavey:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the AFR heads offered for the LSx motors can show as much as 75whp and much improved response.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
GM makes more LSx engines in a year than Toyota ever made 2JZGTEs total. That is why there are aftermarket castings available for some engines, popularity.

What should be available for the 2JZ, but isn't, is a CNC ported stock casting that flows 300 cfm right out of the box for less $ than a hand ported deal.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GM makes more LSx engines in a year than Toyota ever made 2JZGTEs total. That is why there are aftermarket castings available for some engines, popularity.

What should be available for the 2JZ, but isn't, is a CNC ported stock casting that flows 300 cfm right out of the box for less $ than a hand ported deal.
Thanks for the marketing lesson.:rolleyes: Now, anyone else up for some bad ass aftermarket castings?

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts

:stupid:

aftermarket casting = not gonna happen and if it does, it's gonna be ALOT of money!

CNC ported stock casting is what we should all hope for...

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
:stupid:
CNC ported stock casting is what we should all hope for...
I've been considering doing this. however there is not enough money in the area currently.

But if a sponsor were to write me a $10k check off the bat, i'd have them in production within 2 months

sadly were talking about alot of work into writing such a program and a jig to hold the head zeroed that its just too great of an investment unless someone could guarentee a return

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Does anyone make aftermarket overhead cam heads for anything? I figure it would be a lot harder to cast something like a Supra head, w/ 24 valve seats, cam bearing journals, spring/bucket recievers, etc. Who knows how good anyone could make it anyway, there seems to be a lot going on in a little space. Maybe if the head was taller, but that presents its own set of problems...

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
The only CNC head I ever found for a Supra wasn't too impressive (didn't meet the requirements I posted).

Nobody I know of even makes an aftermarket casting for Hondas. Not even the companies making aftermarket Honda blocks are doing it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ive been asking this question for three years. It wont happen unless someone REALLy rich with ALOT of love for supra decides to take a huge loss.

On the other hand, we are talking about traditional heads....if the boys at coates would get off their asses and get alot bigger in the next year or so, they might be open to the idea if there were enough firm preorders. Even then...it would probly take alot of pirm preorders and the support of lots of 2j race teams and shops willing to pitch in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would probably be more likely to see a billet head than a casting...much less initial investment. Billet would be more of a 1-off thing....machine as needed.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a good freind who has a company that does Aluminum Castings and CNC machining. A few years ago I spoke to him about developing an ultra high performance aftermarket head. Basically, he said it usually takes between $50K and $100K to fully develop a product like that and the production process to get it ready for the market. Since we already have a head design worthy of reproducing I would hope that it would be on the lower end of the spectrum. Also, you can see that at 100K you would have to sell at least 50 sets of these things at a premium to recoupe your money.

He has already developed heads, blocks, blowers, pistons, rods, main caps and many other racing parts for customers who race on all types of levels. He is currently developing aftermarket parts for several pro teams and companies that have engine programs. He also is developing some unique stuff for a customer for aftermarket ferrari parts. They work with race teams and own cars having upwards of 3000 rwhp and that run 300 mph in the 1/4.

Maybe a few of us can pitch in with Larry from SP and make it happen for a piece of the profit action. :) :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:scratch: If you sold 50 at $2000 a pop that would be $100000

I know several people (ME being one) that would pay 3-4times that for a full aftermarket head.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The actual cost of a finished head would be quite high and include the fully ported blank head, all the parts in the head, and then the assembly.

You would have to sell more than fifty heads. At that low volume you would have to sell the fully assembled heads for a lot of money (maybe close to or over 8 grand) for it to be worth the money for someone to invest in. I could be wrong but I just don't see it happening. I don't believe there is a high enough demand there.

Why would someone pay more for a head when they can just go to a good head porter/builder and get it for less money?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts