Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this semester I have been in enrolled in a weight training class at my college (local community college, does not have a gym on campus) and it only meets 2 times a week. I am just looking to see if people have any experience with YMCA, if they have ample weight equipment (generally speaking). I have looked up prices, and they have a "college" rank (or whatever) that normally ranges around $20-30 a month, which is fine.

The reason I am considering the YMCA over all else is that there is one within jogging range of my house if need be, otherwise its like a 2 minute drive.

Thank you =)

Ryan

·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
He won't bite...hard.
374 Posts
eh...im a member at my Y for the same reason- its so damn cheap. While the equipment is okay, its a pain in the ass because theres only one of everything, and annoying high school kids and old people are always in your way. I do circuit training and its fucking annoying having people in my way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
funny thing because I was looking into joining the Y in downtown LA.

It's $75/month + $150 initiation fee.

Forget that. :madf:
They're suppose to be a non-profit organization which I thought was suppose to translate into cheaper because of government help but I guess not.

The local LA Fitness, 24Hr, or Bally's is only like $30/month with no initiation fee.

·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're 22, time to grow up and join adult gyms.
Like I said the reason I am asking is because its so close. Tomorrow I am going to go pay the "guest" fee and look around and test the waters. I guess ill see if it will do the trick until August when I move back to UNCC and use their gym.

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
I was a member of the Y because we got a discount through my g/f's work. They had a pool which was nice, but other than that you had people just BSing sitting on equipment not using it and it got really annoying telling people to move all the time. I ended up joining Gold's and it's only $30/mo and 1000x better. More free weights, which I prefer, but also a much larger machine selection too. Plus most people going there are more serious so they don't just sit around wasting space. Once in a while you run into a huge ego, but it's not bad, just distracting.

·
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, that works. Did you hit a joining fee? When I stop by tomorrow if its as you described ill look up local gyms and call for prices.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Got a free membership for shooting some promotional stuff for the metro Detroit YMCAs...probably won't use it, but they seem decent.

·
Exclusive 1000+ Post Club
3,488 Posts
Why not go check out your local Y and find out? Seems more effective than asking a bunch of people who live nowhere near your local Y as the equipment varies by location. But I guess actually physically going and checking things out these days is for the birds when da internet is only a few strokes away. No pun intended....

Joe

·
il faut voir pour savoir
956 Posts
I lifted at a Y for about 6 months. It cost ~$30/mo with access to the sauna, raquetball courts, pool, etc which I never used. They had a big room with machines & treadmills etc, a smaller room for abs, and another big room full of free weights, bars, etc. It was great, I'd recommend it. None of the planet fitness 'don't hurt our feelings' bullshit - you could throw weights all you wanted. Good stuff.

·
Hardtop Crew
6,357 Posts
i go every day now. i think its 79 bucks for the whole family.. well worth it.. tittys galore and get in shape... what better place to be

1 - 20 of 27 Posts