Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the UK and building up a HIGH RPM NA.

Bit stuck on Cam choice and Piston choice, ie squish area and interfearence. Anyone have and knowledge they wish to share?
 

·
miata owner...
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
Jay-450 said:
I'm in the UK and building up a HIGH RPM NA.

Bit stuck on Cam choice and Piston choice, ie squish area and interfearence. Anyone have and knowledge they wish to share?
just don't go for regrind cams with lash caps if you want to rev high.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
id stay stock components with some stiffer springs and new retainers is all you need
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have a large budget for this, so common guys open up. I own Mkivstore.com but only generally tune TT's and just supply Bolton stuff for the NA's. You Yanks are wey ahead of us when it comes to tuning the 2JZ.

Im looking at:-

HKS 272 - Maybe 280?
Eagle H-beam's
Clevite Bearings all round
ARP hardware of course
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
the block stuff is wasteful really, unless your boosting. The stock components have proven themselves many times over in upwards of 700hp.

If you just want a high reving NA motor, the springs is just really an insurance. Cams would be good for power, but thats not the question you were asking
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really the rods can hold up on 9000+RPM on the NA's? Admittedly I'm only looking to get 5000 or so miles out of it, but still!

So then the question is, what cams?
 

·
miata owner...
Joined
·
1,367 Posts
Jay-450 said:
I have a large budget for this, so common guys open up. I own Mkivstore.com but only generally tune TT's and just supply Bolton stuff for the NA's. You Yanks are wey ahead of us when it comes to tuning the 2JZ.

Im looking at:-

HKS 272 - Maybe 280?
Eagle H-beam's
Clevite Bearings all round
ARP hardware of course

you have to go standalone if you want to use hks 272 intake and exhaust and you have to weld in a TT cps sensor. I recommend just slapping in a TT head (cheaper route) and run a custom header
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,561 Posts
^^ good point.


You stated you want a high reving NA.....2JZGE, or 2JZGE w/VVTi ??
 

·
Senior
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
high rpm n/a

Here's a link to a Japanese tuner for an example:http://www.ysr.gr.jp/2jworld/2j.html & the home page: http://www.ysr.gr.jp/index.html
I'd recommend searching for posts by gianttomato as he has worked an n/a head for his 2JZ powered Corona (not Corolla!). He has posted cam profiles for rpm ranges & has found that another Toyota engine (3SGTE?) has compatible valve train parts that allow greater than ~9.5 vallve lift for more aggressive cams. Good luck, & keep us posted!
 

·
Bearded Hermit
Joined
·
39 Posts
Don't you own your own machine shop and Tuners Jay-450 ( lucifur)??? I thought you would be Privy to all this seeing as the fundamentals of NA tunning is the same for most engines ..just the quirks of each engine differ. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
migster said:
Don't you own your own machine shop and Tuners Jay-450 ( lucifur)??? I thought you would be Privy to all this seeing as the fundamentals of NA tunning is the same for most engines ..just the quirks of each engine differ. :rolleyes:
Yes Mig I do own half of a precision engineers, but I would rather not sped a lot of time in the R&D phase, get some information from people who have done it before and be a little ahead of the game.

As you know, tuning a 2JZ NA is quite different to the TT and it's not something we have embarked upon yet. I am hoping to run in the D1 next year with an NA.

Thanks for all your help guys I shall take a good look around.
 

·
Bearded Hermit
Joined
·
39 Posts
Same princliples apply to the NA 2jz as any other NA and its not all that diferent to the TT as you would think. But hey i get ya :naughty:
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top