Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has bought new black interior panels for the 93-96 supras...I know they discontinued the gray ones, so i am wondering if anyone bought a set of the black ones, how they are holding up or do they start to chip and peel very quick....

I am about to redo my interior and i am restoring my interior pieces, and its coming out great, but i just wanna know for future reference if the new 93-96 panels are worth buying new

thanks
Ant

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I'm going to restore my interior this summer. Should be fine snice there OEM from toyota.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone notice if they are starting to scratch or anything like the old ones did...

BTW just so we are all on the same page..I am talking about the black panels..not the gray ones..

I really am trying to find out if i should spend the time to restore my old panels, or just buy new ones..

I restored the little ash tray panel and it came out great and it is very resistant to scratches and such...so i am debating if i should spend alot of time and restore them or just buy the new ones while i have the cash now..i already bought the new shift boot that came with the panel and a new shift knob, and all brand new lights and HVAC buttons/knobs...

I just dont want them to look old and crappy in 2 years from now...

how do the new ones hold up?? better then the old or worse or about the same??

I am doing my interior over to be like it was when the car rolled off the assembly line...with some slight modern upgrades..so i bought the TTC dash rings and shifter ring and i am going to get my stock seats redone in black leather...

Help me decide.....as it seems right now i am about to put the dash panels on the list of parts that just get replaced after they wear out like tires...If they get scratched up ill just buy a new set i guess..

·
Wingless by Choice
1,495 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to get new panels anyways while toyota still has them. Not to much longer before the 6spd black panel will be hard to find, just like the gray one.

·
Ninja
1,826 Posts
I bought new black panels this past christmas and I love them. Way better than trying to restore your old panels.

They will not chip or scratch if you take care of them. Just don't drop anything on them and you will be fine.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
+1 I'd say buy new ones from Toyota. I've seen the thread where people are redoing there old ones. They do a great job of restoring them but IMO none of them is close to as nice as OEM.

·
Great White
461 Posts
I would restore the old ones, you wont have to worry about scratches. If you take your time with the restoration they will come out clean! I know so because i restored mine and couldnt be happier. I have banged hard objects into my dash accidentally and still look great. You dont have anything to loose by trying, will cost you under 20 bucks and if you dont like the results, you can always get new ones.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^ yup this is what im doing now...its just that its time consuming and i dont have alot of patience so eventually i will start rushing and fuck up the last pieces...one good thing tho is that i did mess up and i was able to just start over and retry...

But i do like the results of the restored ones when they are finished...
And i got the new shifter bezel and boot and it looks sooo nice brand new stock black and it wouldnt match if i restored my originals and put just the new shifter bezel there...and i cant bring my self to start sanding and respraying a brand new piece to make it match the restored ones just for the new shift boot...

Im prob gonna buy new ones and maybe just before they go out of production i will buy another new set and save them if these new ones get messed up down the road...

·
Great White
461 Posts
^^^ yup this is what im doing now...its just that its time consuming and i dont have alot of patience so eventually i will start rushing and fuck up the last pieces...one good thing tho is that i did mess up and i was able to just start over and retry...

But i do like the results of the restored ones when they are finished...
And i got the new shifter bezel and boot and it looks sooo nice brand new stock black and it wouldnt match if i restored my originals and put just the new shifter bezel there...and i cant bring my self to start sanding and respraying a brand new piece to make it match the restored ones just for the new shift boot...

Im prob gonna buy new ones and maybe just before they go out of production i will buy another new set and save them if these new ones get messed up down the road...

Let me know if you give up on your restoration, I may be interested in buying them from you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought a new shifter panel and they do scratch and get messed up like the original panels because they are the same as the O.G. ones.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
does anyone know if a good way to take care of them and clean them...

I was looking closely at mine and for the most part they arent in that bad of shape but they just arent that flat black anymore..they are like smooth from cleaning them over the years...

IwannaTT...im guessing you bought new panels and they just did the same thing??

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
Purchased new panels for my red car (old ones were fine, but I'm anal) and liked the effect so much I purchased another set for Blackie. Since the ones in Blackie were 14 years old, and I didn't know how long Toyota would be producing them, I bit the bullet and did both cars. I did the same thing with OEM carpeting for both cars for the same reason.

My 14-year old panels were in good shape (had an immediate buyer for them), but I know a lot more about their proper upkeep than I did in 1994 when I first purchased Blackie. As a result, I think I can keep the panels in both cars fairly pristine over the next 20-years or so. Blackie is a '94 and Eau Rouge is a '95, so black panels in both cases.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^ yeah im anal..thats why im doing this also...i figured after almost 6 years of owning my car that its time for some minor cosmetics to get it back to the way it was brand new plus some small extras..

So Ken..you wanna share some of those secrets about keeping the black panels clean forever??

BTW I dont use anything crazy for cleaning...I usually just use the armor all cleaning wipes just on the black peices and i try not to get anything like leather cleaners or anything on the dash...
They arent messed up or discolored or anything...its just that they look so much different than brand new..Its hard to explain...
When the new ones come in ill post pics of the enw and old next to each other

Ant

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,283 Posts
^^^^ yeah im anal..thats why im doing this also...i figured after almost 6 years of owning my car that its time for some minor cosmetics to get it back to the way it was brand new plus some small extras..

So Ken..you wanna share some of those secrets about keeping the black panels clean forever??

Ant
Ant,

No secrets really. It's just that none of us knew the wear and tear properties of the OEM panels when we originally picked up our cars. First, the key for me is to NOT get stuff on the panels in the first place. If you are successful in this, it is probably 80% of the job. Second, another thing I have learned is to blot, not rub. Rubbing over time changes the surface texture of the panels and also can give them a dull sheen which stands out on otherwise flat/matte panels. Thirdly, when there is a need to remove something from the panels, I have found that Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer works best for me. It's not greasy, leaves no sheen and makes the panels look brand new. When necessary, I spray a bit of it on a microfiber towel and blot delicately until the offending speck disappears.

Because I have been successful in step #1 above, I cannot provide you an informed assessment of more challenging situations where more than blotting might be needed. Knowing what we know now about the care and feeding of OEM dash panels, that knowledge alone should be most of the battle for most of us. Hope this helps, Ant, and best of luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ yeah thanks Ken...

Thats sorta how my old panels are..they have a dull sheen to them from being rubbed and cleaned alot...i could see how that would happen looking at the brand new panels....i will def pick up some of that interior cleaner and use is only for those panels...

on the plus side for me..my car barely gets driven..I dont smoke so no worries there and i never eat or drink in the car...its just a toy to go play for a little while in...but i def could see the shifter bezel getting some scuffs on it eventually from being rubbed by your arm and clothes while shifting etc etc..

thanks for the info

1 - 20 of 20 Posts