Supra Forums banner

Anyone do their OWN electric fans?

650 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  FYRARMS 
#1 ·
Some of the kits I have seen out there look pricey. Is there any part number from Hayden or other that works well? Does the fan kit you have use a thermostat control? Anyone have install pics? Thanks.

G
#2 ·
I have the PHR twin electric fans; there crap. I wouldn't plan on using them if you want to put down a lot of power or road race.

They were okay at BPU but I had a lot of electrical problems that wree difficult to root out.

Also, if you do an electric fan conversion, you might want to think about upgrading your alternator. PHR electric fans killed my alternator. They pull 30 amps each.

I'd stick with the stock.

Hope that helps.

Jon
'94 SP60 .70a/r

#3 ·
30 amps each? :eek: Holy crap! I don't get it. Maybe you had other electrical issues. Many Supras have electric fans. What gives? I have installed electric fans on multiple F-bodies, Vettes, Eclipses, etc., and never had any electrical issues. I absolutely REFUSE to spend lots of money on an upgraded alternator. For 1/3 the price I would adapt a high-output GM alternator if I had charging issues. Why is the Supra such a pain in the ass?

#4 ·
we here in the Bay area have 2 supras running eletric fan. i'm one of them. The other supra ran the eletric fan for more than a year now and he had no problems with it. he didn't have the power house alternator upgrade either , but we do use the optima deep-cycle yellow top battary on our cars.

#5 ·
I am in the bay area and I also run a electric fan with single turbo upgrade. I put it on myself and it's the biggest this company makes, supports V8's over 500HP.....Model #3716 from Pep BOys(not sure the manu.)...I had to fabricate some brackets for it, but other than that it runs great, mine only draws ~12 amps...and I have it wired in an ignition source under the dash....stays on with turbo timer. I have never over heated at all..stop and go, or highway...I like it. Contact privately for pics...
Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.