Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It doesn't matter if it's cooling off from a hot drive in the garage or parked for 2 weeks straight cold as a cucumber under cover there's this patina that only a 20+ year old car, or a 'classic,' has.

It's a musk that smells up the whole garage. It's all of the glue, carpets, rubber, and leather mixed in with the metal, carbon, and gasoline. I'm very lucky in that my interior is easily 9/10 and the new car smell has long faded and given way to something... better.

With clear weather in a day or two I can't wait to go for a drive (and do some new data logging).

Does anyone else experience this or am I just nuts?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I enjoy the interior smell of my garage queen, and there's nothing quite like the smell of E85 out the exhaust.... Yummy

·
Mind if I do a J?
3,368 Posts
The thing I've noticed is that all Supras smell the same. I've owned three and ridden in probably 30+ over the years and they all smell the exact same. If you blindfolded me and had me sit in 100 cars I'd be able to pick out the one Supra.

·
SF Sexy Member
355 Posts
It doesn't matter if it's cooling off from a hot drive in the garage or parked for 2 weeks straight cold as a cucumber under cover there's this patina that only a 20+ year old car, or a 'classic,' has.

It's a musk that smells up the whole garage. It's all of the glue, carpets, rubber, and leather mixed in with the metal, carbon, and gasoline. I'm very lucky in that my interior is easily 9/10 and the new car smell has long faded and given way to something... better.

With clear weather in a day or two I can't wait to go for a drive (and do some new data logging).

Does anyone else experience this or am I just nuts?
It’s the smell of testosterone. You can add more estrogen by spraying Febreze.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The thing I've noticed is that all Supras smell the same. I've owned three and ridden in probably 30+ over the years and they all smell the exact same. If you blindfolded me and had me sit in 100 cars I'd be able to pick out the one Supra.
Lmao i have noticed a similar smell from supra to supra

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hmm Supra smell. I haven't really noticed any smell other than 2. One is the nice smell of Leather and the second is the Mothers VLR that I use in the leather seats and dash and I like that smell a whole lot. Interesting topic I'll continue to follow...

-Matt

·
Boost Junkie
12,616 Posts
Love the smell of E85 in the morning:)

STeve

·
592 Posts
Hahaha - true.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You definitely aren't the only one! There's just something about supras...

·
Registered
291 Posts
found out the shifter housing in the R154 will spray out gear oil during a WOT pass...needless to say my car smells like gear oil now, and it drives me crazy

·
Banned
31 Posts
There is a supra smell, I have however been in a 2000 avalon that smelled the same. Must be the materials Toyota used

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I swapped out almost my entire interior with all new OEM parts, minus the few parts I couldn't find, clean the inside of 20 years of dirt down the floor pan, had the carpet shampooed within an inch of it's life, and the car's interior still ended up smelling the same. It's really odd. Something in the car makes it smell the same no matter what you do to it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
It's weird, when i first bought my supra in July 2008, it had a distinctive smell to it. Can't really say what it smells like, but it's neither good nor bad. I sold it in February 2015, then bought it back in April 2016. When i first sat back in it after over a year of separation, it smelled the exact same. It was almost comforting.

·
Pumps 1 and 2, hit 'em!
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input, everyone!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Its funny I thought I was the only one that noticed the smell. I'm on my third supra and all 3 smelled the same.

·
The Great Beast 666
464 Posts
You are not nuts, I experience this too!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
That's crazy I always thought I was the only one! My car has pretty low mileage so I thought maybe that was why it smelled. As weird as this smell is, it's kind of like old musty leather or something, I enjoy it. I like that it has a smell, it's part of the experience. In the back of my head I was actually concerned that if I over cleaned it or over used the car, the smell would go away. It's reassuring to know that it won't! I'm glad this thread came up!

Anyone ever been in a car that doesn't have leather seats? Does it smell the same I wonder?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Sometimes I'll sniff the tail pipe when nobody is looking lol

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Never really gave it much thought, but I think you're on to something. Unless you have a car that's been heavily smoked in, or been flooded or something worse, I suspect most of them will have a similar scent.

I like it, even if it isn't a "good" smell. I've come to associate it with both quality, and an unyielding desire to tinker. :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts